The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum and really need to learn more about diabetes. I was diagnosed @2005 and at one point was able to get off of meds by losing weight and exercising. That lasted about 6-12 months.

I have been on Metformin for years and it seems to work for me. I am taking 1000mg once per day.

About 6 weeks ago my A1C level went up to 7. My endo added 2mg Glimepiride once a day to the Metformin. This week I started checking my bg's because I was feeling like my levels were off.

I went for a 2.5 mile walk (which usually lowers my bg's to normal). When I checked them I had a reading of 238. I retested and got a reading of 253 and the message on the meter was to check my ketones. I do not have the materials to check my ketones. A few hours later I broke out in a sweat and was shaky. I tested my bg before I ate a snack. It was 46, after my snack I vomited twice.

I called my endo the next morning, he is on vacation. The covering endo gave me a message to continue my meds and call on Friday if I was still getting the same results. Friday seemed okay, until the evening when my bg crashed again.

My endo will be back on Tuesday, but in the meantime I have no idea what to eat to try to keep my levels steady. Last night I stopped the Glimepiride and still crashed. :confused:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I highly recommend that you go to the bloodsugar101 website and do some reading. You will be surprised how much you will learn there. Then come back here with any further questions you might have.

P.S. I already welcomed you in another post, but welcome again. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Glimperide is a drug which is known to cause hypos. It overstimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. I'm surprised he didn't just increase your metformin, the maximum is 2550 mg. Have you been checking your bgs all along or did you just start this week. Often exercise spikes me but then I go lower around 2 hours or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts