The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tested two hours after breakfast and came up with a mind-boggling 151 after eating only sausage and eggs, so while I still had a bubble I tested on another meter and came up with a 140. STILL not happy, I grabbed a THIRD meter and came up with a 172! I have so had it with this testing nonsense. I know I have to do it and all, but jeezaloo, three different meters giving me such ridiculous numbers??? For the money we have to spend on test strips, we deserve to have MORE than accurate meters. It's BS! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I would save your $$$ and stick with one meter.

I would also look at stress as a factor (well actually, I AM looking at it, for me!) in your numbers.

Not worth getting upset. Just back to the ol drawing board.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I would also look at stress as a factor (well actually, I AM looking at it, for me!) in your numbers.

I've had a lot of stress with my cat situation the last two weeks so that could be a factor (they don't let me sleep through the night) but still the numbers being so off like that. How are we ever supposed to know what our true levels are? Not knowing just stresses me out more. I can't help feeling ripped off.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt -- over time as you get more and more numbers, you will handle them better.

Cat situation -- this is Twiggy, or is there more to it? I loooove cats, have a 17 y/o I was terribly worried about for 3 wks, on top of of other recent woes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my doc answered that question

I just tested two hours after breakfast and came up with a mind-boggling 151 after eating only sausage and eggs, so while I still had a bubble I tested on another meter and came up with a 140. STILL not happy, I grabbed a THIRD meter and came up with a 172! I have so had it with this testing nonsense. I know I have to do it and all, but jeezaloo, three different meters giving me such ridiculous numbers??? For the money we have to spend on test strips, we deserve to have MORE than accurate meters. It's BS! :mad::mad:

OMG! i totally agree. I got 2 meters. One from OneTouch and then the doc prescribed me the PrecisionXtra. Those testing strips ARE expensive and ya i sometimes test with both meters at the same time and they give me two different numbers....

I asked my doctor about that and she said "It's normal for the blood glucose to change that quickly. It never stays the same."
But does it change so radically within SECONDS?? Or is it the meters thats messed up :confused:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it with a grain of salt -- over time as you get more and more numbers, you will handle them better.

Cat situation -- this is Twiggy, or is there more to it? I loooove cats, have a 17 y/o I was terribly worried about for 3 wks, on top of of other recent woes.
Ah, yes, the little Twigster. He's a doll, but it's actually not him so much as my older cat. She's constantly attacking him and waking me up all night long with screeching and hissing. If I separate her in another room, she just scratches at the door until I let her out. Blasted cats! Ever since I rescued him from the tree, my numbers have gone from 110 and under to constantly over 130.....

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I wonder what can be done to get her more comfortable with Twiggy. Is Twiggy FIXED, yet?

Have you ever used Feliway? It is a pheromone spray that helps create a sense of well-being in cats -- sometimes it can be very helpful -- not that $$$ and worth a try, if only for your BG.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG! i totally agree. I got 2 meters. One from OneTouch and then the doc prescribed me the PrecisionXtra. Those testing strips ARE expensive and ya i sometimes test with both meters at the same time and they give me two different numbers....

I asked my doctor about that and she said "It's normal for the blood glucose to change that quickly. It never stays the same."
But does it change so radically within SECONDS?? Or is it the meters thats messed up :confused:
I think it has to be the meters. I don't like this 20% accuracy thing, I want a meter that's 100% accurate. This is 2011, there has to be the technology available to make that happen, otherwise what is the point of testing? I could get a reading of 108 after two hours and think 'Oh, well, that's okay' and it could actually be a 128, which is NOT good. I could need medication and never know it. It's ridiculous and until this is straightened out the test strips should be cheaper!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder what can be done to get her more comfortable with Twiggy. Is Twiggy FIXED, yet?

Have you ever used Feliway? It is a pheromone spray that helps create a sense of well-being in cats -- sometimes it can be very helpful -- not that $$$ and worth a try, if only for your BG.
If I can find that Feliway at Petsmart tomorrow I'll grab it. No, Twig isn't fixed yet, he has to have three rounds of shot first before the vet will do it so it'll be another month. I did read that an un-neutered male kitten will aggressively fight back so I think what's happening is my big girl is hissing to let him know who's boss but he's just attacking back because he can't help it.

So innocent-looking, yet so wicked...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Oh the innocent-looking ones are the WORST! LOL.

We have this angel-faced white cat who is SO naughty. Fortunately do not have any aggressive ones right now, but he is just .. NAUGHTY! Dumps everything on the floor. And everyone thinks he is "sweet."

Hopefully neutering will help -- not sure if PS carries feliway or not. also try catnip? And getting them both to play with the same toy ... any positive experiences they share will help.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh the innocent-looking ones are the WORST! LOL.

We have this angel-faced white cat who is SO naughty. Fortunately do not have any aggressive ones right now, but he is just .. NAUGHTY! Dumps everything on the floor. And everyone thinks he is "sweet."

Hopefully neutering will help -- not sure if PS carries feliway or not. also try catnip? And getting them both to play with the same toy ... any positive experiences they share will help.
They both love catnip, so they get lots of that. Cats are wacky - what I don't get is Mooshie (my girl) has to know by now that Twiggy gets the hint that she's the boss, but she still won't leave him alone. Poor baby, I have to carry him around the house because she just stalks him and lies in wait. Silly cats. :p

·
Registered
930 Posts
meters

just my personal opinion, but:
In my quest for an accurate meter reading i finally realized that the test strips operate by capillary action so after the strip has drawn fluid the remaining fluid has to contain less of what is the most easily drawn ( i am just guessing water). Therefor the glucose should be more concentrated in the remaining bubble. This is consistent with my test ( that the second test of the same bubble is usually higher). And the smaller the bubble, the greater the effect.

And it only took 3,000 test strips for me to come to this conclusion! :)
Pretty smart Mr. Dimm! :p

ColaJim

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Oh, she is JEALOUS!

I would not carry him around -- sounds like he will hold his own if you do not. They need to get it sorted out without intervention, as much as possible. Kinda like my 10 and 8 yr olds.

·
Registered
32 Posts

dia
I agree, life is too short to get stressed out over and this is one of them. Though i know we have to stay on top of our diabetes to live healthy, when it's all we think about and we worry all the time about having the perfect number, something is wrong. My diabetes and other physical ailments don't define me. I've got more important things to think about then any of my meters being a little different, like serving my wife, doing my job tonight, and helping others in AA.My diabetes isn't always the problem alot of times, but my obssession with it can take me away from living. I do the best i can today with it and then go take care of business.Mikey

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just my personal opinion, but:
In my quest for an accurate meter reading i finally realized that the test strips operate by capillary action so after the strip has drawn fluid the remaining fluid has to contain less of what is the most easily drawn ( i am just guessing water). Therefor the glucose should be more concentrated in the remaining bubble. This is consistent with my test ( that the second test is usually higher). And the smaller the bubble, the greater the effect.

And it only took 3,000 test strips for me to come to this conclusion! :)
Pretty smart Mr. Dimm! :p

ColaJim
The problem though with a small bubble is not getting enough on the strip and getting an error reading (I use Contour) and then I have a wasted $1.50 test strip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it has to be the meters. I don't like this 20% accuracy thing, I want a meter that's 100% accurate. This is 2011, there has to be the technology available to make that happen, otherwise what is the point of testing? I could get a reading of 108 after two hours and think 'Oh, well, that's okay' and it could actually be a 128, which is NOT good. I could need medication and never know it. It's ridiculous and until this is straightened out the test strips should be cheaper!
is that what the packet says, 20% accuracy? :eek: thats bad. i wouldnt get it. what company are you using?

·
Registered
930 Posts
bigrosiegreenbaum

The problem though with a small bubble is not getting enough on the strip and getting an error reading (I use Contour) and then I have a wasted $1.50 test strip.
I think maybe you should try the "ReliOn Confirm" at Walmart.
About $10 for the meter.
Less bulky than most meters, easier to carry and the vial for test strips is flat making it easier to carry.
About $40 for 100 test strips so $0.40 per test.
Small sample size.
Works about as well as any other meter.

Note: this does not check out exactly, but then my last 1800 test strips came free through Medicare for my Accu-Chek Aviva. :)

Walmart.com: Search Results for "relion"

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Rocky, that is the FDA minimum accuracy.

They are ALL only =/- 20%.

Still the between-meter error is always greater than the within-meter error. You can get to "know" a meter.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Are you still eating that bread with breakfast?

Also remember that a1c > any meter

1 - 20 of 42 Posts