The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Amelia. I have had T1D for going on 25 years. I am a mother of one natural daughter and two step sons. Almost six years ago I married my high school sweetheart finally (We date broke up and then connected and started dating almost eight years ago). I have cared for my diabetes in a half-hearted way on and off for about 15 years. While carrying my daughter I did care for myself. I am here because, I am finally saying I need help. I have struggled the last few years to get back in control to control a disease that is controling me. It is not knowing what to do it is refusal to do those things. I tell myself I will check when I am done because I don't want to bother anyone or freak them out or I have to eat and I have to do XYZ and will get to it once I am done. Done then fall until 11 p.m. The sad truth is that I know these are excuses But I can't seem to make the hard work stick. I can test check and inject for three or four days at a time and then I fall back into that same old bad pattern. I want to feel better than I do now, to have energy, to be around to see my daughter grow and to be a better person than I have these past few years. My A1C is horrid and my marriage is on the rocks all starting and ending with me and my diabetes. I would love to hear how others deal with these issues. Looking for help and support.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You have great reasons to reign things in - and my best advice on how to stay on track is to check in here every day and read some postings. Seriously. It's pretty hard to ignore our diabetes when we're in a group, 'mongst those travelling the same road, and reading about other people's struggles, accomplishments, setbacks, strategies - all those things helped me enormously.

Glad you joined us. Welcome!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Amelia, welcome! I never know what to say to a diabetic who has kids, and needs to stay healthy, but does not seem to have the motivation to do so. That always puzzles me so much! What can I say that would motivate you?

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 67 years with type 1, I am very healthy. I am so glad I had the necessary motivation, and took very good care of myself. I have fulfilled all my important goals in my lifetime. Now I am reaching out to try and help others. I don't know what else to say, but I certainly hope you will start taking good care of yourself, and be an inspiration to your children!

Richard

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, we're a pretty motivated group here, so do as they say and read some here every day and that will be a major way to begin. One thing that helps me enormously is being committed to checking in with the 'What was your fasting'...I know if I don't do that a number of people would wonder and it very much motivates me to be true to myself. If you haven't looked there before or even if you have a 'read thru' might be helpful at Blood Sugar 101 may be helpful.

Good luck,

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Amelia
I am really glad you have found us. Everyone has given you great advice. Take sometime to browse thru the various threads (if you haven't already) and to check in each day. Ask questions when you wish. Someone usually passes thru ready to respond.
Each day is a new day.
Deb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts