The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am heading to the United States tomorrow (from Australia). It is my first trip to the US and my first travel since my dx. Does anyone have any good travel tips for me that may help me with managing my diet/bgs while I'm traveling? What sort of meals can I expect of airline diabetic food? I'm a little nervous about it tbh!

Thanks!
Coralee

Oh, and I am type 2, on 1000mg metformin

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Personally, I'd take a stash of my own food and not trust the airline to feed you enough of what you can eat. If you asked for a 'diabetic' meal, you probably will still be given plenty of carbs.

Safe journey - and have a wonderful time in the States!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Airline Diabetic Meals are pretty pathetic. I would carry as many snacks as possible on board. Most meals are pretty carby. I usually just pick out what is safe for me to eat. As far as travelling in the US I would make sure you get a hotel with a small fridge or kitchenette. This way you can purchase small amounts of healthier foods to keep in your room. As far as eating out, you can pretty much find D friendly food on most menus. You can even order off the menu and specifically request safe food. When I travel I like to pack WASA or GG Bran crackers , Atkins Bars and individual Walden Farms 0 carb dressing packets in my suitcase. This helps me control some of the carbs. For me Breakfasts are the easiest when you travel. Most hotels have a breakfast buffet with bacon, sausage and eggs. It gets you off to a good start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I suspected as much about the airline food! Sounds like I've got some of the right ideas... We are staying in an apartment that has a kitchenette, so that will definitely help. I also just bought a stash of Atkins bars to take as well!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Make sure that you have current prescription papers with you for any drugs you are using.

ColaJim

·
Registered
930 Posts
Are the prescriptions for getting through customs or in case I need to refill?
My thought was about getting through customs with drugs.

Please bear in mind that I have not flown on an airplane since the air Nazis took over. Back in my day I flew a lot with no hassle and there were pretty young stewardesses, not flight attendants.

ColaJim

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I usually just carry my meds in the original containers. I've never had them questioned. If you are on insulin I would carry a Rx since otherwise liquids are not allowed. Last time I went to Argentina I had a suitcase full of Atkins Bars, packets of Power Smoothies and GG Crackers. I was afraid at getting stuck at customs but I walked right through. Most countries are more worried about bringing fruit or veggies in. When my daugter was returning from Argentina to the US after a semester abroad she bought some Mate to bring back. The Argentine customs guy stopped her and said to her , "you know that isn't pot". She was afraid she would get stopped by US customs but she didn't. What cities are you visiting? Have a fun time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts