The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

How do you go about traveling and carrying an extra insulin with you. I am planning on going to California this month and am planning on bringing an extra humalog and lantus kwikpens. Where can I keep these pens? The pharmacy told me that unused pens must be refrigerated. What should I do? How can I keep them refrigerated? Do I have to bring one of those coolers? Would TSA give me problems with that? Where would I get a small enough cooler?

How about traveling internationally?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, Are you driving or flying? My Dr. suggests when I travel that I store my insulin in a small cooler bag with a medical ice pack. I use my daughters insulated lunch bag. And she also said to always make sure when you travel to be sure all meds are labeled with your name and prescription. If you are flying and they wont let you take the bag on they should be able to store it for you. Hope this helps! Happy travels!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that unused insulin can be stored at room temperature for up to 30 days before losing its potency. When I traveled with pens, I just threw a couple extra in my suitcase and then refrigerated them when I got to my destination. If I were only staying a couple days, I wouldn't even bother. Just have to make sure they are not exposed to extreme heat. Like exposed to extreme heat in a suitcase in the trunk of a car for several hours.

Also, the airport checkers never once asked about my pens when I had them even in my carry-on. So that was never a problem. If you travel internationally, make sure to have a label clearly showing your prescription. When I traveled to Mexico several years ago, they didn't seem too concerned about the insulin vials & syringes (which I was using at the time) or my other supplies, but they did look over some of the labels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll be going on a trip myself next week, but I'll travel 6 time zones.
I'm used to get my lantus shot at 10pm over here in the states.
What would be the best thing to do in Europe?
Keep taking it at 10pm or gradually move it out?
Trip is from Thursday till Monday, so a pretty short trip.

Any help would be appreciated!
Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts