The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else here trying to do that? I am trying but not succeeding very well, or succeeding for only brief periods of time.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Most people start out doing that...I know I did. Worked for awhile. If you are having problems and have already cut your carbs very low and are still having high blood sugars, it might be time for medication also.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did for a number of years then 'graduated' to oral meds when my A1C started rising

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tried it for about 3 months and couldn't seem to get bgs below 130 so I asked for medication. Never consider it a failure to use medication or insulin. Sometimes our pancreas and liver just can't do it on their own even if we eat low carb, exercise and lose weight.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
im giving it a go. been off the Met since 12/16/10 after having taken it for most of last year

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great responses! Thanks for the replies. Meds may be in my future, but right now I'll keep on trying. Glucose scores are more "borderline" than really high in the diabetes range.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'll be trying to lower my dosage and hopefully get off Met once my BG's are controlled better, but I have huge insulin resistance issues which I'm hoping are helped by losing another 40-50lbs of fat...

Until I lose the weight, I think I need the Met for my BG's...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One question that I ponder - do meds obscure what diet and exercise alone can do? I suspect that is the case.

So many questions! So few answers!!!;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is anyone else here trying to do that? I am trying but not succeeding very well, or succeeding for only brief periods of time.
Well I started on Lantus 18u, Novorapid 3x 18u at diagnosis in April 08. Weaned off to 40mg Gliclazide (patient led not doc led):amen:.as I'm on minimum DB meds and have to carb up to keep BG above 5.5 (~99 US speak) due to UK driving rules, should I push to go Med-free?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
One question that I ponder - do meds obscure what diet and exercise alone can do? I suspect that is the case.

I credit metformin with curbing my appetite & helping with the weight loss, but other than that, I don't see it camouflaging my progress . . . it's the low-carb way of eating that's the clincher. Met is the only one I have any experience with and it works primarily for insulin resistance, so there's no collateral damage to the pancreas being forced to produce beyond its reduced capacity.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

i have been med free for a year now. i would like to say everybody has a down fall. i think that has lot do with. my down fall is i can t stick toexerciseing. i do still do the around the house.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think it is different for everyone. Some can lose weight and go off meds and still maintain good control. I lost all the weight I was asked to lose. I am now 118 pounds but I still need metformin to keep my bgs below 100. I really think it depends if you are insulin resistant or not. I don't mind the meds and have no side effects. If you can do it without meds go for it, but make sure you continue to test to see if bgs start to creep back up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think it is different for everyone. Some can lose weight and go off meds and still maintain good control. I lost all the weight I was asked to lose. I am now 118 pounds but I still need metformin to keep my bgs below 100. I really think it depends if you are insulin resistant or not. I don't mind the meds and have no side effects. If you can do it without meds go for it, but make sure you continue to test to see if bgs start to creep back up.
i have been testing two times a day and i have been teating here and there to get better fbg reading.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
how is that working out for you?
going pretty well. i go for my check up next week to get my blood work results. my BG readings have averaged 76.3 over the last 90 days

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most people start out doing that...I know I did. Worked for awhile. If you are having problems and have already cut your carbs very low and are still having high blood sugars, it might be time for medication also.
Dear Sir, I am a diabetic from last 20 yrs. From last ten years Taking Metformin 500 twice a day. besides this ,I normally take black grams 20gm to 30gm ( soked in milk / water for 12 hrs. I am also benefitted by Bihi leaf soked in water and after 12 hrs, I drink the water. My A1c is 5.6. I wanted to know Why accu-check result differs from the result getting from Pathological Lab. test. Thanks. KH Mahajan Chartered Accountant.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Dear Sir, I am a diabetic from last 20 yrs. From last ten years Taking Metformin 500 twice a day. besides this ,I normally take black grams 20gm to 30gm ( soked in milk / water for 12 hrs. I am also benefitted by Bihi leaf soked in water and after 12 hrs, I drink the water. My A1c is 5.6. I wanted to know Why accu-check result differs from the result getting from Pathological Lab. test. Thanks. KH Mahajan Chartered Accountant.
Hello and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information here on the forum, read what interests you and if you can't find something, go to the forum page and locate the white box. Meters can be off 20% and still be considered accurate. I hope you will visit often and take care. :)

1 - 20 of 110 Posts