The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just wondering how much carbs or what I should I snack on to treat a hypo?
I usually snack to get rid of hypo symptoms and as a result my blood sugars go way up. Is there a certain amount that would bring them back to normal range and how long should it take to feel normal again...before I take more carbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Several factors can control 'how many Carbs' each of us need to offset a hypo. Things like how low is the hypo and what is an individuals 'normal' glucose level. I prefer to use Glucose tablets as they offer measured carbs so I can easily figure how my body responds, or how many points per tablet my BG will increase. Catching the hypo 'early' before 60 BG I can usually correct by snacking on string cheese, most of the time. Most times when I am hypo it takes at least 30-60 minutes to feel better, if I go really low then it might take 1/2 day... Overcorrecting can lead to problems also. Here is a link to an article The Downside of Ups and Downs | Diabetes Forecast Magazine
Good Luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree. Glucose tabs are pure glucose, so the effect is immediate. If you are snacking on something high carb, then you are dealing with the body having to break them down.

The best thing is to find out how much one tablet raises your BG. Once you figure that out, you will know how many to take to correct your low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts