The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experience tremors their first whil with diabetes? I can't seem to shake them! Pardon the pun.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Are you referring to tremors that happen when your blood glucose is very low? Or are you talking about tremors that happen when you are relaxing? Have you considered talking to your Doctor about this problem? I have had diabetes for almost 9 years and so far have never had a tremor except when my blood sugar was really low.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have talked to the dr's. It's not when my blood is low, it's basically when I am relaxing. I actually just read on bloodsugar101 that it is my body adjusting to the new bg level. My body was probably used to very high blood sugar and now the average is lower it's adjusting. I appreciate you replying though.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I had actually thought about asking the same question myself this morning! My genetic tremor has gotten worse since being on this diet...so bad at times I can't sign my name decently. I've always had good handwriting, but as I've aged, I've developed one and my doctors have told me it was normal for me since my father had one too. BUT, during the last year it's gotten where even I can't always read it. I've resorted to printing a lot, which isn't great, but better than my handwriting. Last night I happened to wake and took my blood sugar and saw that it looked nearly normal and when I recored it saw that my writing was back to normal, so I ran and got a card I've had to write a note in but I couldn't because of my writing. I wrote a decent hand in the note and will be able to mail it this morning! I'm on no drugs, so that can't be the explanation.

Any thoughts about it? Does anyone else have this problem or any explanation for us?

Sorry I highjacked this post if indeed that's what I did. Don't quite understand that term yet.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL...it's ok. Any advice helps. Mine doesn't get that bad but when I'm reading it can get bad, the book will be shaking. I have also went from 3500-400 calories to 2000, that might make a difference too.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In recent months I've noticed a tremor in my right hand when it's fully relaxed & doc has said it's more of a Parkinson-like tremor—not necessarily diabetes related. Apparently the essential tremor that occurs when trying to actually USE the hand, is the more common. So far I've not noticed anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
A friend has had a very slight tremor, age-related, but it became very pronounced. He suspected something was causing it, not just an advance of his normal one.

He was taking an anti-depressant (don't remember which one) and stopped it a couple of weeks ago. He's now back to normal. I had no idea that could be a side-effect of ... SSRI?

Anyway - any new medication to look at for possible side effects?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here is a link to a paper describing low magnesium as common among diabetics and that it can cause tremors to far more serious neurogical issues:

http://www.bmj.com/content/293/6559/1409.1.full.pdf

'We suggest that the possibility of hypomagnesaemiia be borne in mind when a diabetic presents with unexplained focal neurological signs. It may occur in the absence of other electrolyte disturbances and ketosis. Prompt replacement of this essential ion will lead to rapid resolution of the neurological deficit.'

B12 supplementation can assist as it is a major building block the body uses to repair damaged neurological tissue.

Not long ago I was subject to widespread muscle spasms (often in multiple limbs at once), twitches, tremors, and could barely walk. Then my high bg was discovered and I brought it down quick.

I still get minor twitches and tremors at times that are mostly just a cosmetic nuisance rather than a functional one. Unless I have some other undiagnosed illness it appears lowering my bg plus taking liquid B12 and magnesium fixed the vast majority of my neuro issues. None of these things are harmful in recommended doses and they may prove worthy of your investigation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts