The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Getting diagnosed for the first time is always tough. I've had type 1 diabetes for 7 or 8 years now and like everyone else it's always a struggle, but something we just have to live with. Wish you the best of luck in taking care of your diabetes

·
Banned
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to look at insulin pumps, however i hear they arent good for swimming?

Anyway saw the endocrinologist today. I have to make records of my post lunch and breakfast (as well as pre for breakfast) bs levels. Im still only on lantus, but he has scripted me some novarapid. I have to call him monday and discuss what my bs is doing around these certain meal times.
I experimented today, at his office i was 11.9, then i had some brown rice and chicken. 30 mins later, 17.9, 2hrs later i was 22.

What suprised me is he said i can do some light exercise still. So im looking forward to a very slow jog. Im a bit concerned at any form of exercise at 22 though, and thought maybe i should wait for a lower reading.

Anyway, thanks for your welcomes and i will continue to scroll through the forums :)

·
Banned
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I posted this elsewhere in the forum, however i will post it here incase it gets lost if thats ok?
Hi guys. I have spent the whole weekend documenting my bloods as a newly diagnosed type 1, however just realised i didnt calibrate my test strip prior to using them. Will this effect my results i have done all weekend? I hope all my documentation hasnt been for naught ....i know my fault, i should have been a bit more thorough with the instructions

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I do not exercise at any time my BG is above 180 (10). If I do my BG can go even higher. It may vary though, depending on the individual.

Timmy, if you are going to use Novorapid, you can take a dose of it and let your BG drop before exercising. You will need to know your insulin:carb ratios to determine your dosages before meals and snacks, and your insulin sensitivities to know how much to use to correct a high. The book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh gives all the details.

·
Banned
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i have been doing a little exercise, say 30-40 mins, some light, some hardish....the patterns i am getting is im dropping a couple of mmols so i must be the opposite to you Richard!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts