The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my blood work report card last Monday. My trigs are too high and my doctor says that I can have 4 eggs per week. I need to eat a diet low in fat and I can't pig out on proteins such as meat & cheese. I am on a statin and did a 14 hour fast before my last blood test. I won't be able to continue eating as much protein as I want. This was a huge blow because I was just getting comfortable eating eggs and bacon everyday because they do not make my blood sugar go up. I asked my doctor to increase my statin, but he said "no" so OK I will just take red yeast rice, it can help to lower your trigs. Last week started bad with this info and my luck was bad all week. Gosh, this week can't end quick enough for me!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Red yeast rice and 'statin' drugs

Red yeast rice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the late 1970s, researchers in the United States and Japan were isolating lovastatin from Aspergillus and monacolins from Monascus, respectively, the latter being the same yeast used to make red yeast rice but cultured under carefully controlled conditions. Chemical analysis soon showed that lovastatin and monacolin K are identical. An article "The origin of statins" summarizes how the two isolations, documentations and patent applications were just months apart.[2] Lovastatin became the patented, prescription, drug Mevacor for Merck & Co. Red yeast rice went on to become a contentious, non-prescription dietary supplement in the United States and other countries.

I just got my blood work report card last Monday. My trigs are too high and my doctor says that I can have 4 eggs per week. I need to eat a diet low in fat and I can't pig out on proteins such as meat & cheese. I am on a statin and did a 14 hour fast before my last blood test. I won't be able to continue eating as much protein as I want. This was a huge blow because I was just getting comfortable eating eggs and bacon everyday because they do not make my blood sugar go up. I asked my doctor to increase my statin, but he said "no" so OK I will just take red yeast rice, it can help to lower your trigs. Last week started bad with this info and my luck was bad all week. Gosh, this week can't end quick enough for me!
ColaJim

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red yeast rice and 'statin' drugs

Red yeast rice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the late 1970s, researchers in the United States and Japan were isolating lovastatin from Aspergillus and monacolins from Monascus, respectively, the latter being the same yeast used to make red yeast rice but cultured under carefully controlled conditions. Chemical analysis soon showed that lovastatin and monacolin K are identical. An article "The origin of statins" summarizes how the two isolations, documentations and patent applications were just months apart.[2] Lovastatin became the patented, prescription, drug Mevacor for Merck & Co. Red yeast rice went on to become a contentious, non-prescription dietary supplement in the United States and other countries.

ColaJim
Was there a reason that you posted the article ColaJim? I am very aware of the fact that red yeast rice can have the same effect as a statin drug, that is why I am going to take it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts