The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new ReliOn meter and accessories today and was all excited to try it out (I'm a gadget freak, what can I say :rolleyes: ?)

Unfortunately, my hands tend to shake due to a (non-serious, just annoying) condition called benign essential tremor. I can't seem to get enough blood on the strip to test, I think because I can't keep my hands still when I'm bringing the strip into contact with the blood drop, so a little bit gets on the strip and the rest gets smeared elsewhere. I have now stuck my left hand at least five times (I even tried the palm using the Alternate Testing Site method), to no avail. :frusty:

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and found a good way around it? If I can't make this work I've just thrown about $40 down the drain.:mad: I live alone, and this is not something my cat can help me with ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I don't have the problem, just trying to brainstorm a solution ...

Do both your hands shake? I can see how that would make testing tough! I'm wondering if you could secure the tester on a table somehow - even if you had to duct-tape the meter w/ strip - and after poking have just one thing shaking instead of two, if that would make it easier. Or, would gripping one arm with the other hand help to slightly steady and guide it to the secured meter/strip? Also, you might need to up the dial on the lancet to get more blood so there's more available to get to the strip.

Not finished brainstorming yet - just getting started :)

We'll figure this out!

Reactions: CaliforniaCandy

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Here's another thought - with the taped down meter - strip in and ready for blood.... Place your other hand firmly on the surface the meter is on and slowly slid it toward the meter until there's contact with the blood drop. Would this work??

Another think, in the above scenereo, you could put a weight on the hand with the blood drop to reduce the shaking. I'm thinking of a bag of rice (clean) or sand (not so clean) - something soft that would not have to be balanced on the hand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the problem, just trying to brainstorm a solution ...

Do both your hands shake? I can see how that would make testing tough! I'm wondering if you could secure the tester on a table somehow - even if you had to duct-tape the meter w/ strip - and after poking have just one thing shaking instead of two, if that would make it easier. Or, would gripping one arm with the other hand help to slightly steady and guide it to the secured meter/strip? Also, you might need to up the dial on the lancet to get more blood so there's more available to get to the strip.
Thanks for the preliminary suggestions Moon :). Both ideas could definitely help - although I should probably give my left palm and fingers time to recover. :eek: The left hand shakes more than the right, and I tend to hold full drinks, etc, with both hands to avoid spilling them everywhere, so supporting the left hand with the right may well improve my chances.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's another thought - with the taped down meter - strip in and ready for blood.... Place your other hand firmly on the surface the meter is on and slowly slid it toward the meter until there's contact with the blood drop. Would this work??

Another think, in the above scenereo, you could put a weight on the hand with the blood drop to reduce the shaking. I'm thinking of a bag of rice (clean) or sand (not so clean) - something soft that would not have to be balanced on the hand.
Thanks VeeJay :). Your first suggestion sounds promising - it's probably best if the meter is stationary and I only have to worry about one hand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Moon & VeeJay!! I used a combo of your suggestions - duct taped the meter to my kitchen counter, slid the hand to the meter rather than aiming at it from above, and used the other hand to stabilize. No idea if it's accurate, but it was at least able to give me a reading.

101, 2-3 hours after lunch (only 13 grams of carbs, but breakfast could still be exerting its influence). I'll try it again tonight and start tracking for real tomorrow. I'm just so happy to find that it's doable!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I just tested about 1 to 1.5 hours after I started eating post-dinner dessert. Again, it took a number of tries to get a reading (got a few E13 displays). The number I finally got is 100. I'm wondering if that's likely with an A1C of 5.8? Is it possible it still wasn't quite enough blood and that threw off the result? Thx for the advice & support.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Either there is enough blood to yield a result or there isn't - like an on/off switch with no dimmer :)

Yes, your 100 reading is as correct as the margin of error (20%) allows, and in time you'll learn to see trends more than precise numbers. I also think you'll get the testing routine down so you aren't forced to waste so many strips in error, but am delighted you're able to test!

Good going :)

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either there is enough blood to yield a result or there isn't - like an on/off switch with no dimmer :)

Yes, your 100 reading is as correct as the margin of error (20%) allows, and in time you'll learn to see trends more than precise numbers. I also think you'll get the testing routine down so you aren't forced to waste so many strips in error, but am delighted you're able to test!

Good going :)
Yes, I think I'll wait for the sharps container I ordered to arrive before using any more styli - I'm running out of space to stow them. :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I used to use a new lance every time I tested... like the instructions said. Now.... ? I change them about every 6 months. That first box of 100 lances is going to last me until I die :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to use a new lance every time I tested... like the instructions said. Now.... ? I change them about every 6 months. That first box of 100 lances is going to last me until I die :D
It seems like the lancet device I ordered with the ReliOn Prime only allows one use per lancet - it refuses to launch a second time - but it just came to me while typing that maybe pulling the reset thingy on the other end will solve that. :D

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Yeah, I still have my first box too. I have to admit I love the barrel-loading Multiclix lancet though. You might find it easier too because you don't have to hit such a precise target when loading a new lancet, and no chance of accidentally sticking yourself. They come with some AccuChek meters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I still have my first box too. I have to admit I love the barrel-loading Multiclix lancet though. You might find it easier too because you don't have to hit such a precise target when loading a new lancet, and no chance of accidentally sticking yourself. They come with some AccuChek meters.
Do you know if that would work with the ReliOn meters as well? The more forgiving the equipment the better for me. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Absolutely. The multiclix is a stand-alone lancet device - the one I also use and love!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Very glad you found a testing method that works!

My own meter (OneTouch Ultra2) gives me an error message when I don't give it enough blood. IF you feel like it, you might want to deliberately test your own, to see if it does the same.

Anything that draws blood will work with any meter. It might not fit in the meter case too well, is all. I've got this bad habit of leaving my lancet thingy on the desk when I leave the house, so I've had to ... ummm ... improvise once or twice. :eek:

Oh, yeah, and count me as one more member of the Lifelong Lancet Box Club!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm with the others. Still on my first box of lancets three months in. I change it, maybe, every month or longer. Come to think of it, the last time I changed the lancet is when it started becoming painful. I think it was dulling, so I changed it.

Wish we could do the same thing for the strips.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a question about reusing lancets. ...I can't do it with the ones I have now...I tried it and it hurt like heck! However, I got some samples of some new ones and can with them....

So my question is.....how do you clean them so that you know you are getting a clean stick each time and don't have a micro amount of old dried blood on it? That's my only worry with reusing them....

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Just a question about reusing lancets. ...I can't do it with the ones I have now...I tried it and it hurt like heck! However, I got some samples of some new ones and can with them....

So my question is.....how do you clean them so that you know you are getting a clean stick each time and don't have a micro amount of old dried blood on it? That's my only worry with reusing them....
Ummm.... I don't. Never got an infection from this in the two years I've been testing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts