The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with Truvia? I have read there are side effects but I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary. And I was trying to add in the carbs from Truvia into my day when I came upon a debate about where the 3g carbs listed on the label come from.

Does this statement from the Truvia people make sense - that the 3 carbs "don't count"?

"Thank you for your interest in Truvia. Unlike sugar which provides 4 calories per gram, the body does not use erythritol for energy, so it does not contribute calories. In other words, the caloric value for erythritol is zero calories per gram. Truvia does not increase blood sugar. The body does not metabolize or use Truvia the same way that it uses sugar and other carbohydrates. The body cannot convert Truvia to glucose or blood sugar. Therefore the grams of carbohydrates don’t count. The net carbs in Truvia natural sweetener are zero. Please continue to visit our website for more information.

Thank you

Truvia Customer Service"

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
All carbs count. Don't fall for their lies. You dont NEED their product

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Stevia has no caloric contribution.

The scoop is, erythritol is fermented (I think by a yeast) from corn. A lot of people are opposed to its use, and the fact it is a "product," as opposed to a whole food.

I am more mercenary. I used my meter, it works for me, WTH. Beats the heck out of HFCS, as a corn product, no?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stevia has no caloric contribution.

The scoop is, erythritol is fermented (I think by a yeast) from corn. A lot of people are opposed to its use, and the fact it is a "product," as opposed to a whole food.

I am more mercenary. I used my meter, it works for me, WTH. Beats the heck out of HFCS, as a corn product, no?
This is my first time ever using a sweetener, and I'm surprised how well it tastes. Just a slight aftertaste, nothing outrageous. I'm gonna stick with it as long as it doesn't spike me.:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is my first time ever using a sweetener, and I'm surprised how well it tastes. Just a slight aftertaste, nothing outrageous. I'm gonna stick with it as long as it doesn't spike me.:)
The only thing I've used it in so far is coffee. It tastes pretty good and I haven't had any spikes from it.:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use erythitol in all my baked goods. It seems to bake better than Splenda. Most of my baked goods actually lower my bgs, so I definitely don't get a spike from Erythitol. I have not tried Truvia, yet but I do use Stevia. Stevia comes from a plant but they usually have to bulk it up with something, so read labels carefully.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I use both Truvia and Stevia, and both have been GREAT for me.

I also tried splenda (sucralose) which spiked me both in the packet and the 'for baking' forms.

I have yet to try any liquid sweeteners, I'm sticking with my stevia and truvia for now.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
beefy, you might try adding davinci or torani splenda flavoring syrups to your repertoire -- they are terrific!

My faves include watermelon, mango, and English toffee! Just for starters ... I buy them online.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts