The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has finally made it to the UK - Hurrah.
It is criminally expensive though at £4.99 for a small pot of the Erythritol/Stevia blend (no maltodextrin bulk for me) :p
For those of you who have had experience of it is it worth the money? And are there any tips or tricks for cooking or baking with it?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm not a Stevia fan (my palate finds it bitter) but do like erythritol and use it in baking just like sugar. I add a couple/few drops of liquid splenda as 2 different sweeteners help negate the aftertaste of each other. I do have Truvia, but found the Stevia in it balanced out the taste less for me than Splenda. That said, a friend served a low-carb dessert and had soaked some strawberries in truvia and I didn't get the Stevia aftertaste. It was nice.

Made the pumpkin pie today, and as I sweetened some whipped cream a bit, I realized my taste buds have so changed that I'm not sure if I can trust myself to sweeten for non-diabetics so that there's no aftertaste. I've gone too long without sugar to have perspective I think.

Shoot. Guess I'll have to eat the pie myself ...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Moon - do you need any help eating the pie ? :)

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When I tried Truvia, the strong sweetish aroma was off-putting to me, but like Moon, I use erythritol and like it with the addition of a coupla drop of sucralose concentrated drops. Our daughter-in-law introduced us to SweetLeaf drops over the holidays, so I'll see how it goes with that.

Today's the day to bake the eggnog pie, so stay tuned! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The truvia is expensive here too. I usually buy it on sale. Like Moon and Shanny I prefer the plain erythitol for baking. I buy mine online usually at Netrition. It is not cheap but I use a smaller amount in recipes. If a recipe calls for a cup of sugar I use 1/4- 1/3 of erythitol.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Moon - do you need any help eating the pie ? :)
Oh Strawberry, you're far too kind; I'd not dream of imposing ... I'll be brave and soldier on. Really. :nod: <burp>

Shanny - as for that eggnog pie? OMG - <muttering to self>: I =will not= bake two pies in one day.

But as luck would have it: tomorrow's another day!

Reactions: foxl and aimster1mo

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Is it too late to rethink your decision?! ;)

We haven't tasted it yet - waiting for it to chill really well in the fridge. It was SO easy . . . her recipe was from an old family friend, so it called for scalding the milk/cream & then cooking in a double boiler for 15+ minutes, stirring constantly. I used to do that myself, but not since microwave ovens. This took one minute in the micro to scald the cream, another minute after adding sweetener & gelatin, and one more minute after adding butter & eggs. It took longer to cool than everything else, including blind-baking the shell.

Recipe to come after we've tasted it.

edit: You can see I put it in a regular pie shell, but here's the recipe & the numbers for the filling only:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/7928-eggnog-pie.html#post71091

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Is it too late to rethink your decision?! ;)

We haven't tasted it yet - waiting for it to chill really well in the fridge. It was SO easy . . . her recipe was from an old family friend, so it called for scalding the milk/cream & then cooking in a double boiler for 15+ minutes, stirring constantly. I used to do that myself, but not since microwave ovens. This took one minute in the micro to scald the cream, another minute after adding sweetener & gelatin, and one more minute after adding butter & eggs. It took longer to cool than everything else, including blind-baking the shell.

Recipe to come after we've tasted it.
oh boy oh boy. did I say oh boy. :eek: I am waiting for this..:p

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Shanny! That pie.... the shell!...OMG!!!! :jaw:

You HAVE shared that recipe in the appropriate recipe thread, I take it? So.......if i go over there in, say.... 5 minutes... I CAN see it there, right? :boink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts