The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a bread last night from St-Methode. It has no fat or sugar added and is approved by the Canadian diabetes ass. it has 24 g of carbs in two slices (56g). My BG before eating the bread last night was at 5.2 and at 3am my BG was at 6 and this morning 6.9.

Not sure what to make of this, I know that any wheat can spike but has anyone had experience with these types of bread and is it worth it. If you have any other advise for bread that would be fantastic 

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
With breads it is definitely trial and error. I have spiked on low carb tortillas before. For some of us any processed wheat product will spike. I use the Eziekel or Trader Joes sprouted grain bread. It is not made from flour but 6 or 7 sprouted seeds. I usually eat it in the middle of the day, so I have plenty of time to work it off. I am usually around 100 at 2 hours. Wake up bgs have been mid 70's-80's, even eating the bread. But it is a definitely YMMV thing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I tried a bread last night from St-Methode. It has no fat or sugar added and is approved by the Canadian diabetes ass. it has 24 g of carbs in two slices (56g). My BG before eating the bread last night was at 5.2 and at 3am my BG was at 6 and this morning 6.9.

Not sure what to make of this, I know that any wheat can spike but has anyone had experience with these types of bread and is it worth it. If you have any other advise for bread that would be fantastic 
I've used some low-GI breads from Cob's Bread and found it didn't spike me much, but did keep my sugars elevated a little for hours. (IE: no drop back to normal levels)

Watch the 'certified' by the CDA thing... what they are saying is that it has an 'adequate amount of carbohydrate' for diabetics. And the CDA gets money for putting their stamp on it...

You may want to find a 'sprouted grain' bread instead, you'll likely find it doesn't keep your BG elevated as long.

For myself, I now eat only the organinc sprouted grain breads, and even with that, I limit myself to 1/2 a slice a serving.

·
Registered
461 Posts
For myself, I now eat only the organinc sprouted grain breads, and even with that, I limit myself to 1/2 a slice a serving.
Beefy...
I haven't really found a good bread yet either, not one that I can tolerate. The best I've come up with so far is a flat bread called "Flatout" sold at Wal-Mart... it has 100 calories, 8 net carbs, 1 g sugar and 31% fiber. It also says 1 g alcohol sugar. I don't know if that's addition to the 1 g sugar shown on the wrapper or not.

I do get a spike after one hour but after two hours I'm almost back to where I started. It's the only bread I've found that I can eat. It also makes a wonderful pizza dough.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/Buggert21/Turkey and things/IMG00157-20110322-1202-1.jpg

bugg;)bread head

1 - 5 of 5 Posts