The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to everybody whom replied to my early post. I'm trying to a handle on those carb's. My sugar is bouncing all over the place. Two weeks ago it was up around 400 mg but it is coming down but still having trouble. Has anybody else ever had these problems?

Pat c

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Can you tell us if you are a Type 1 or Type 2 and what your bg and HbA1c numbers are. Also what type of diet are you eating. BG #'s have a direct relation to the amount of carbs we eat at one sitting. We all have different tolerances for carbs. Quite frankly my tolerance is only about 15 per meal. But we all have different numbers that work for us. Also what meds or insulins are you on?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Carbs raise BG ALL carbs raise BG, rice, potato, bread, pasta, most fruit. raise BG.

what do you eat and what are your BG readings 1 hour- 2 hours after

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The probable reason your blood glucose (bg) is bouncing all over the place is most of us have higher bg in the morning, and each time we eat, our bg goes higher 1 or 2 hours after eating, then it starts going down until we eat again. How high it goes usually depends on how many carbs we eat at a meal.

Most of us take our bg when we wake up, then 1 and/or 2 hours after eating. If you keep track of how many carbs you eat per meal, and how high your bg goes after each meal, you can determine how many carbs you can eat per meal and still keep your bg under control.

If you go to Blood Sugar 101 it will tell you what normal blood sugar is, and where your bg should be.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Some foods cause me more trouble than others. Grains, such as bread, cereal, pasta and rice all cause high #'s for me no matter how much I portion control. Now I just stick to vegetables: salads, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, swiss chard, spinach, asparagus. All drenched in butter of course... mmmm butter!

Why don't you reply back with what you ate from some sample days where your #'s were good and another day where it didn't act like you expected?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have noticed that bread is not my friend at all. I can eat one roll the night before at a dinner, and the next morning, my reading is way high.

Thank you for the link Gizmo. I bookmarked that to read later.:)

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I have noticed that bread is not my friend at all. I can eat one roll the night before at a dinner, and the next morning, my reading is way high.

Thank you for the link Gizmo. I bookmarked that to read later.:)
The name "bread" covers a multitude of sins (word used deliberately).

In my youth bread was flour, salt, water and yeast. It lasted a day or two at most then you could use it as a brick! Now it has a shelf life measured in weeks (or months) and who knows what chemical additives were used to achieve this. In addition it seems to have sugar in the mix now.

All these factors will make some breads very difficult for a diabetic to manage.

So, no simple answer to the question is available but another site you may well want to look at is Blood Sugar 101. This site discusses managing your blood sugar in very straightforward terms and is well worth an hour or two of your time.

John

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes. I am in the same predicament you are. I have had my numbers jump to 445. Down to 113. I am new to this condition. I was diagnosed in October of this year. Still trying to figure out where I am in this whole condition.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Yes. I am in the same predicament you are. I have had my numbers jump to 445. Down to 113. I am new to this condition. I was diagnosed in October of this year. Still trying to figure out where I am in this whole condition.
To deal with the problem you first have to identify what causes your blood glucose spikes. That involves some trial and error - and as Jenny Ruhl says on her site www.bloodsugar101.com - eating to your meter. There's no short cut.

If you haven't already got a meter, first step is to get one - and the necessary test strips - lots of them. The other thing you need is a log book. Test before you eat and record what you eat - then test 1 hour and 2 hours after the meal/snack. A spike? Try again after cutting something (carbohydrate) out of the meal until you find out what is causing you the problem. A particular brand of burger bun, all burger buns, whatever!

It'll take you a while and use a whole heap of test strips but by the time you finish you'll have some idea of what you need to avoid.

It works - trust me - I'm NOT a doctor.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm type 2 diabetic and my A1c was 16+ two weeks ago and as I said before my bg was 400. But I'm
Doing better I've got things down to the mid 200 range and even some high 150s. I know it's going to take time.
Thanks for listing
Pat C

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
741 Posts
actually it doesn't have to take too much time if you cut your carbs drastically...once you do you ought to see a significant drop in blood sugar levels...and an amazing jolt of energy and clarity...it's worth it even if you just try for a week :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Deena, I couldn't agree more, but if you choose to do it that way, be prepared to feel lousy for a few days. I did it that way and only my significantly dropped BG kept me doing it. It was amazing how fast it worked, but my body was in shock for about a week.

·
Registered
916 Posts
actually it doesn't have to take too much time if you cut your carbs drastically...once you do you ought to see a significant drop in blood sugar levels...and an amazing jolt of energy and clarity...it's worth it even if you just try for a week :)
I went cold turkey. I cleaned out my kitchen of anything wheat, grain, aka oats, rice, flour, cake mix's, corn meal, anything breaded, potatoes frozen, onion rings frozen, corn, peas, beans, carrots, limas, dry soup beans.. etc etc.
I re-shopped for the foods I could eat. bacon, eggs, full fat cheese & other items. there is a list of food items found on this forum by Richard. I used it & use it all the time. I also have Calorie King book. I didn't feel sick or anything, I felt like I got rid of the junk in my house & my body. I lost weight & have more energy my # all dropped & even my backache went away.:p Its all good...

seems to me you are to young to let this 'D" get hold of you.Nip it now for your own well being. :amen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts