The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admins: If there's already a thread for this, I apologize. Please point me to it.

So . . . who out there is trying to lose weight? Anyone? I'm two weeks into what I reckon isn't "dieting," but a "lifestyle change," and I'd love to find others who are in my shoes so we can support each other.

I'm a 56-year-old woman, 5'10", and weighed 285 two weeks ago. I've lost about 5 pounds, but I'm not paying a lot of attention to the number right now. I figure if I eat right (check), count my calories (check), and exercise (haven't started that yet, but I will), the number will fall. Plus, I've got enough numbers in my life right now: fasting bg, 2-hour bg, before-bed bg, number of servings of protein, carbs, milk, fruits, veggies, fat, total calories, etc. etc. :p

If someone else is out there trying to lose weight and wants a diet buddy (or buddies), let's share our journey and cheer each other on!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I've tried to lose weight for most of my adult life. I've had more success with losing it than with keeping it off. I'm a year older than you and 10 inches shorter:)
This is the first time I've made a lifestyle change for health reasons instead of wanting to lose weight. I'm eating right and exercising more. Darned if it isn't resulting in weight loss!
I've lost about 45 pounds this year, most of it since my diagnosis in June. I'm hoping to lose that much more. My doctor thinks I'll be able to cut down on medication if I lose another 10 or so.
I'll be glad to cheer you on:cheer2:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm eating right and exercising more. Darned if it isn't resulting in weight loss!
Don't you just hate it when doctors are right? :p

What is "eating right" for you? I'm counting calories (averaging ~1650/day), limiting fats, and trying to eat more protein because it's what I know, but I'm open to something else. I'm a little worried that if I try carb counting I'll fail miserably because dang!, I love me some bread. I can skip most refined sugars, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit juice, and whole lot of other carbohydrate-rich foods, but Brownberry Natural Wheat Bread is heaven on Earth.

What kind of exercise are you doing? I'm caught in a Catch-22: my knees and lower back hurt, so I avoid exercise, which makes me even weaker, and causes my knees and lower back to hurt even more. Maddening! Plus DD#3, the PT, yells at me. :(

Reactions: Genie

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What about swimming? - water aerobics in a deliciously-heated pool?

G

·
So . . . who out there is trying to lose weight?
I was diagnosed with diabetes a week ago, and without even trying, I've lost 2.5kg since. I'm on a high fat/low carb diet and am being careful with the size of my portions as well. I'm 5 foot 2 and a bit and 64. As well as losing weight, I'm getting my test results down. :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I love me some bread. I can skip most refined sugars, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit juice, and whole lot of other carbohydrate-rich foods, but Brownberry Natural Wheat Bread is heaven on Earth.

What kind of exercise are you doing? I'm caught in a Catch-22: my knees and lower back hurt, so I avoid exercise, which makes me even weaker, and causes my knees and lower back to hurt even more. Maddening! Plus DD#3, the PT, yells at me. :(
The bread has to go... there are ways to create low-carb substitutes though - check out the recipe forum. Also, with the exercise going for a daily walk is a good and non-threatening way to start. :p

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I started out eating the standard ADA diet that the diabetes educator gave me. I felt like that was too many carbs even before I found this forum and started doing research. I have cut way down on carbs in the last few months and feel like it is helping my blood sugar levels and my weight.
I haven't counted calories. I've been walking for exercise.
I think the metformin is responsible for a lot of the weight loss.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've tried every diet out there and the only one that has kept the weight off while dealing with my bg numbers at the same time is a Low Carb Diet. In my experience most diets will produce results in the first few weeks. What you are experiencing is water weight loss. The problem usually comes continuing and keeping off the weight loss. If you just cut calories your body's metabolism will also slow down, which you don't want. This is where exercise comes in. You have to build muscle while losing weight to keep your metabolism humming. I probably lost and regained the same 50 pounds about 10 times in my 40's and 50's. I was dx'd with diabetes after I lost 50 pounds and was quite thin. But after I switched to a Low Carb Diet I lost another 30 pounds and am back at my healthy college weight, plus my bgs are great most of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have tried a few different diets.
  • I lost 40lbs on the south beach diet until I hit maintenance phase adding back bread and whatnot. The diet quickly fell apart at that point.
  • I've also done the 1200 calorie, low-fat high "complex carb" diet, gained 50 lbs on that one.
  • I tried "balance in everything" diet + exercise. I stayed the same weight.
  • After being diagnosed the ADA diet caused me to lose weight because it kept my blood sugar nice and high.
  • Most recently I have lost 60lbs on a high fat low carb paleo diet. Exercise not required. I like this diet the most. I can stick to something that let's me eat eggs, steak and butter.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I believe, and Salim will probably agree here that, many of us, while following a LCHF diet, aren't really getting the right ratio of fat to protein to carbs. I never bothered with the ratio before.....thinking that as long as I avoided carbs, ate meat and salads and drank water that I would be losing weight like mad. Well, that worked for the first 20kg (40lbs) but then my body decided that it had had enough and I stalled. I've been stalled for almost two months now having not lost anything since reaching 80kg.

I remember reading (many times) Salim's advice on that other forum* where his food ratios almost always fell on deaf ears (or were only noticed by the HCLF fanatics). I now realise there is so much truth into adhering to those ratios and am making a concerted effort to change, once again, my way of eating. My biggest problem is that many of the foods good for LCers are things i just don't like. Avocado, olives, olive oil, yoghurt of any kind, most cheeses, (there are a few I can eat and I stick to those so cheese isn't so much of a problem), all seafood and any very fishy tasting fish (if ya know what I mean, lol).

So, my new ratio for eating is (ideally) now 85% fat, 10% protein and 5% carbs to restimulate weight loss and get back into ketosis. Once that happens, I'll readjust the ratio to add more protein and a tiny amount more carbs to slow the weight loss once I near my goal.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Let me know how that goes CD - I have been stalled since May!! Ideally I want to lose another 8-10 lbs, although I am not that unhappy with where I am now.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree with Clea . . . the bread has to go. :(

The only reason you think Brownberry Natural Wheat is heaven on earth, is because you never tasted my own homemade sourdough (with authentic starter I kept alive for umpteen years), or my own recipe for whole wheat bread. :D :D :D

But all that is past. Some folks can continue baking & give their lovely creations to the neighbors, but I don't have that kind of discipline. I no longer eat bread, and I no longer bake. I want to live to be old, and I want to die with my eyesight intact. Diabetes will not be allowed to take my eyes or my toes, or my kidneys. If that means giving up bread, then it's a bargain at twice the price.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bread has to go.
Yeah, that's not happening. The minute I allow a single gram of carbohydrate into my diet, it's going to be a grain of wheat. :D

So, my new ratio for eating is (ideally) now 85% fat, 10% protein and 5% carbs to restimulate weight loss and get back into ketosis.
Are these percents on a weight basis (e.g., grams) or energy (e.g., kcal) basis?

I've only been on this forum for 2 days, but it's clearly Mecca for the low-carb crowd. :p So, for all you low-carb devotees, how many carbs per day (not per meal) do you personally eat? I've tried sticking to ≤30 grams of carbs per day, and that's not tenable for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't really count carbs; I just don't eat anything highly carby. My breakfast may be strictly bacon & eggs, guacamole on cheese crisps or salmon spread on an Optimist Crackers; my lunch might be celery stuffed with cream cheese, handful of almonds, bowlful of radishes, or more salmon on a cracker; dinner might be a pork chop fried in coconut oil, or even a breaded pork chop fried in coconut oil. You can get a better idea of how we eat LCHF by checking the sticky threads in the Forum Lounge - what's for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

My intake prob'ly runs about 30-40g per day, most of that from nuts & cheese.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm like Shanny, I don't count carbs but steer clear of the obvious ones and use my meter to weed out anything that sends me up. Each one of us is different so eating to the meter makes most sense to me... Bread and wheat products send me really high but I can eat a small amount of Basmati rice, for example.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One day my scale told me I had dropped 20 lbs without doing anything special, prompting a dr visit and resulting in my diagnosis.

Since then, with a newfound commitment to (mostly) eating better and exercising more, I've dropped another 5 lbs

I've cut out most of the high carb foods and replaced them with veggies and less processed foods (joining the CSA program with a local farm has helped a lot with that). I don't really count carbs or calories, although I do look more closely at the nutrition labels at the grocery store.

Since the summer, I've gone from being mostly couch potato to working out at the gym 4 days/week, and did my first sub-30 minute 5k (which hasn't happened in a long long time). I've even had people tell me that it looks like I've lost weight, which just tickles me and is some of the best encouragement I get.

I'm on a roll and enjoying the ride :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
as far as carbs go I have a real problem in the morning...any carb will spike me before noon so I try and stay with a protein and fat breakfast...I probably max at 30 carbs a day but usually between 20-30 per day...mid afternoon seems to be the best time for me to eat them without a spike

also the better blood sugar control I have...the less appetite I have...so I do try and keep it as low as I can...it's efficient really...it's kind of like a early warning system for me...if I get very hungry I know my blood sugar is rising...and I take that as a signal to check what I've eaten and to see if I'm spiking or that particular food is causing cravings...either way it's a good measure of something I need to look at....hope that helps

Reactions: Ocean and moon

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I eat between 20-30 a day. If it's too hard to go that low, just ease into it over a month or so. I lost my 50 lbs this way over about 8 months and am stable there now, so I'm happy with it. I'm kinda like deena that way...I just eat to my meter rather than count these days.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't count carbs either, but I know I'm getting around 30 per day. At first it seemed impossible to stick to low carb because my diet was meat, eggs, cheese, almonds and low carb veggies - same thing every day. But then I converted many of my old recipes to low carb and started looking for low-carb recipes to replace the carby things I love. Now most of the time it feels like I'm not even on a diet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have been on several diet in the past, but I have always gained the weight back of failed before I reached my goal. This year I got the much needed motivation and determination (especially after I got some not so good blood work back) to finally stick to a diet and I have been successful. I started on the Weight Watchers program in January of this year and I have lost almost 40 pounds so far. This is one of the only diets that has worked for me in a while, I have been on nutrisystem, jenny craig, south beach, but they were just too restrictive for me.

I think what used to hold me back was the willpower and motivation to lose weight. I mean I have always wanted to lose weight, but I never had to drive to do so and it made me quite frustrated at times. I think that getting my blood work results back and well as some comments from some not so modest individuals really served as a catalyst for me this time. Now there are times that I still struggle to continue, especially because I deal with emotional eating, but I just forge forward and think about all the benefits.

One of my favorite quotes that keeps me going is:

"Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels"

1 - 20 of 411 Posts