The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 41... family history of type 2. I had gast diab when I was preggo with both kids. Prev weight before losing most of my sight was 110 lbs, went up to 225 over 7 years. My vision problems are because of a muscle disease/genetics. I am down to 180 but still a long way to go to being a size "normal". I hate walking (especially with my cane)!!! I used to be a jogger, bike rider, swimmer, sports player of anything and I hate whatever I wanted in huge amounts. Now I dont do much but sit on my butt... I have an eliptical but so far can only do a couple min at a time (doc told me not to worry bout exercise yet cuz my sugars are so high... I have touched 700 a couple times).

I am on Actos in the morning and take 50 Lev pen at night. Once I get this weight off me and my sugars normal... I plan to never eat again as I hate these dizzy spells, stomach aches, etc.

BTW... I am a very bland food person so this diet stuff really sucks for me. I dont like almost all fruits and HATE all leafy greens. Funny thing is I dont eat much (I did eat way too much junk I know but I miss it so much now) but I really dont move much these days either.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Good news on the fruit - it's generally not good for diabetics, so you got that one licked :)

Do you like meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, fish? If yes, then you're in good shape. For veggies, you can make them taste like comfort food (cauliflower mashed potatoes, really, they're excellent! - spaghetti squash under a fabulous spaghetti squash - and lots more.)

The majority of new diabetics think the new way of eating sucks - at first. Then, with adapted recipes, new foods discovered, palate changes, it becomes not only tolerable but pretty darn decent. You'll see. Really. Honest.

When your blood sugar is in control, you're going to feel like a different person and might even want to walk with your cane :)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in the past six months i have also developed food allergies to peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds... peanut butter is the one food I miss. I never ate much of the other before. lol

I dont like most fried foods... how many fat people can say that? (smile) I am a big sandwich eater so I have switched out my wheat/pumpernickle bread with high fiber stuff. The hard thing for me will be not to eat for the whole day then eating a huge meal (2 or 3 sandwiches). I cook healthy for my kids... this sounds like my kids eat horribly but they are not like me. Thank goodness they like a lot of stuff I wont touch.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The good news just keeps on coming: fried foods (traditionally in wheat flour) aren't good for diabetics either. Score! :)

I didn't eat fried food, and I'm fat, but then it's not fat that makes us fat but carbs. And I embraced carbs like my life depended on it, not knowing they wanted to take my life instead.

Almond butter is a delicious substitute for peanut butter. Sorry about the coconut - bummer.

Not eating for the whole day is bad (are you saying that's what you used to do, or what you now think you should do?) The best is to eat a little bit many times/day. Some people eat 3 small meals and a couple of snacks - I tend to eat one meal and 5-6 snacks. Eating something every few hours, if only a handful of almonds, is important so your body doesn't think you're going to starve it and let your liver dump glucose.

Eating a lot of bread isn't good for a diabetic, no matter how grainy the bread it's still carbs. Some can eat more than others - I tend to be able to have one sprouted wheat slice every couple of days if I'm having no other carbs, but I'm very careful. 2-3 sandwiches would be a Very Bad Idea but I think you know that ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A diabetic diet does not have to be bland and restrictive. I eat very well but only eat foods that don't spike me more than 10-20 points. I use my bg meter 2 hours after meals. Anything that spikes me too high goes on the avoid list. I make a lot of my baked goods with almond meal, so I can still make cookies and muffins. If you are spiking as high as 700, you need to speak to your doctor about changing meds and insulins. It may be that your Levemir needs to be split in 2 doses to get better coverage. Also you might be a good candidate for meal time fast acting insulin to control after meal bgs. If your bgs are above 250, they usually recomend that you don't exercise because you could get dehydrated. But if you are below that you should find some way to exercise. My dad lost his sight 13 years ago from an autoimmune disease. He has a Treadmill which he uses if he can't get outside and walk. The important thing is to move. As far as diet, if you are not on meal time insulin it is difficult to eat fruit, whole grain bread and cereal, pasta, rice and other grains. Have you had a C peptide test done recently? Your pancreas may be losing beta cells which causes your control to be sketchy.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to DF

No need to eat anything white or man made crap, it's bad for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts