The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

I just get some test of Fasting glucose 102, and A1c 5.4%.

My family doctor says I am fine. However I met a doctor at a friend party suggest me to look into it.

I surf the net and thinking I am actually might be very pre diabetic.

I am 32 years old, My graduate and 1 aunt dies because of diabetes in their early 60s.

I am 5'11" and only 160 lb. From what I read, if I have prediabete I will be a Type 1.5 right?

What test should I ask my doctor to perform inorder to diagnose the type? Is there any test that will help determine how much beta cell is left in my body?

My family doctor always says I am fine. I really have ask for all the test I needed.

Thanks and you all have a nice holiday!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Since you are slender, yes, I would say get tested for C-peptide and GAD-65 antibodies.

Were your relatives Type 1 or Type 2?

T1.5 is slow-onset autoimmune D.

I would think you could modify your diet to maintain lower BGs for some time, even if testing indicates more.

What do you eat? Do you drink a lot of sodas or eat starches or sugars a lot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you are slender, yes, I would say get tested for C-peptide and GAD-65 antibodies.

I would think you could modify your diet to maintain lower BGs for some time, even if testing indicates more.

Thanks for the reply, all my relative die from diabete in 60s so I guess they might be type 2. I already reduced my carbe intake every day and don't drike soda. I does eat a lot of sweet fruit and I am going to stop that.

How long I will develop in to insulin dependent?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the reply, all my relative die from diabete in 60s so I guess they might be type 2. I already reduced my carbe intake every day and don't drike soda. I does eat a lot of sweet fruit and I am going to stop that.

How long I will develop in to insulin dependent?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
No telling. 2 yrs out I am insulin-assisted, but I also know of a T1.5 who is 11 yrs out and no insulin OR oral meds ...

If you are a T2, and eat carefully, lose weight, exercise ... maybe never.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have never heard of a T1.5,
can someone please explain this to me?
for my understanding
T1 -- Insulin dependent, you no longer produce insulin naturally, and are dependent on either oral or injected insulin supplements.
T2 -- Insulin resistant, your body still produces insulin, but your body is resistant to it.

is T1.5 a mix between the two? your body produces a reduced amount of insulin and is insulin resistant?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well ... while I too have insulin resistance, I also have autoimmune activity against my beta cells (insulin producers) as demonstrated by GAD-65 antibodies. The onset is typically (but not exclusively) in adulthood, and is more gradual than that of "Classic" Type 1. There are some other differences in our immune and genetic profile, it's complicated. And controversial, and new. And we are more apt to also have concommittant thyroid autoimmune disease, and gluten intolerance (as are type 1's), and also B12 malabsorption (another autoimmune disease), than are Type 2's.

I however have just described only LADA, Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood. Ther eare other forms of D that some people also categorize as Type 1.5, including MODY ... you might want to read up at the Blood Sugar 101 site about those other rarer forms of D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just get info from my mom that my grandma and two aunts are all type 2. They were all have a BMI higher than 25.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts