The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
My name is Sameer and i was diagnosed with diabetes type one two weeks back. I have no family history whatsoever. My doctor tells me its very recent approximately 4 to 5 months back. I can't figure what went wrong. Few months back i weighted around 85 kgs with muscles since i worked out and did swimming on regular basis. I had no clue something like this would happen to me.

Few months back i wanted to drop a few kilos so i stopped weightlifting and moved towards swimming daily. Eventually after a week i started to lose weight but then i stopped swimming but still it kept going down. I was happy about it and never wondered if something was wrong tho my parents were worried. One day my best friend told me about his dad been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and told me about the symptoms which include thirst etc. It still didn't click me.

Days went by infact weeks and we had this hangout at my best friend's place where i planned to use his newly bought gluco meter out of fun. To my surprise, it only showed "HIGH" which did shock me. My friend and me rushed to the nearest emergency where the doctors told me that i might have diabetes type one, i had no clue what type one meant. I couldn't believe if that was possible looking back to my healthy diet and workout program which i have been following for years now.

My parents had gone for vacations to India and i had to stay back to give my exams which left me in confusion of what to do next. I called up my dad told him my story, he was shocked too asking him to stay calm was all i wanted at that moment. And then i decided to fly back to India for proper treatment which was a very good decision i made on my own.

Now i am back in Dubai continuing my education taking four shots daily which include Novorapid three shots before each meal and one shot before bedtime thats Levemir. Now my blood sugar level is under control but for some reason i have massive hair fall and i don't know what i should be doing about it. I read online thats common for people with diabetes because of low blood circulation to the scape but there must be a way before i lost everything on my head. :S

I am still trying to take all of this. Disheartening!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Hi Sameer - welcome to the forum. What a shock that was for you! You didn't do anything wrong at all, but I think you realize that now. Your pancreas was not going to work no matter what you did.

I also had a huge loss of hair when I had my high numbers. My endocrinologist said it would grow back, but my case is different because I'm 60 and my issues are more complicated - age is a big complication! You have reason to be optimistic your hair will grow back. Your body went through a lot of stress, and stress is the number one reason for hair loss.

Congrats on getting your sugar under control - and keeping your father calm!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey sameer, i just turned 21 and was diagnosed type 1 two weeks ago as well. I had same story i worked out 4 times a week, i weighed 195 lbs, i dropped to 173 in 5/6 weeks. At first it was hard after i got diagnosed but now im eatinv properly ( high protein) and i weigh 186 already! I got my sugars from 500/600s down to under 140. Keep your head up buddy, with eachothers support we can maintain this disease.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sameer, when you have adjusted to your diabetes and have things under control, you can have a long, healthy life. I have been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy. Take good care of yourself!

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts