The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read here on this forum about Type 1.5 and am wondering what that is. I'm pre-diabetic with an A1C of 6.2 and fasting glucose of 107. I'm morbidly obese according to my bmi. :(

So what is type 1.5? I've never heard of it before. But then again, I'm new to researching diabetes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Type 1.5 is slang that according to American Diabetes Association includes LADA(Which is simply a slow onset autoimmune diabetes) and MODY(genetic type of diabetes which runs in families generally). Some doctors will also use it to describe any type 2 condition which means the patient is insulin deficient rather than insulin resistant. As you are morbidly obese this makes it more likely given your A1C and fasting levels that you are type 2 insulin resistant however you can have a normal weight and still be insulin resistant and you can be very overweight and still not be appreciably insulin resistant.

There are tests that can prove or disprove the type but ultimately what matters is the numbers and this is what doctors concentrate on. If D+E arent working and metformin doesnt work the way it should it might be worth having more tests just to confirm that you arent 1.5 however some people who are type 2 still dont improve much with metformin.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok, thank you for your reply :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Type 1.5 is slang that according to American Diabetes Association includes LADA(Which is simply a slow onset autoimmune diabetes) and MODY(genetic type of diabetes which runs in families generally). Some doctors will also use it to describe any type 2 condition which means the patient is insulin deficient rather than insulin resistant. As you are morbidly obese this makes it more likely given your A1C and fasting levels that you are type 2 insulin resistant however you can have a normal weight and still be insulin resistant and you can be very overweight and still not be appreciably insulin resistant.

There are tests that can prove or disprove the type but ultimately what matters is the numbers and this is what doctors concentrate on. If D+E arent working and metformin doesnt work the way it should it might be worth having more tests just to confirm that you arent 1.5 however some people who are type 2 still dont improve much with metformin.
Interesting. I have only heard type 1.5 in reference to LADA. My pancreas no longer functions after years of taking oral T2 drugs. My c-peptide is almost nil. But I have still only ever been referred to as T2. It seems if they are doing that..they are doing so in error...just saying :)

True about resistance and weight. Funny how it works sometimes. When I was diagnosed I was only 16, fit and active in sports. I actually know several T2's that are of "normal weight". That just reinforces my belief that T2 is a genetic problem. Something in that mechanism that allows glucose uptake into the cells is just defective. I still firmly believe you can not "eat your way into diabetes".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well type 1.5 is only a slang term. Problem is the docs only really seem to totally acknowledge sudden juvenile onset type 1 diabetes, and insulin resistant type 2s. Everything in-between is a grey area, especially as most docs think type 2 is self inflicted and all type 2s are overweight etc and prefer to hit type 2s over the head with things and verbally chastise them.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm not so sure "type 1.5" is slang . . . here in the States there are doctors using it in terms of diagnosis. My own brother-in-law is type 1.5, and one of our forum members also has a type 1.5 diagnosis. I think the underlying cause of the disorder needs to be the basis of the terminology - not the treatment. Pam is type 2 who has now lost all pancreatic function and requires insulin to survive, but she is still type 2 - she didn't morph into a type 1 just because she no longer makes endogenous insulin.

But you're right about there being a vast gray area & even more ignorance & misunderstanding about causes and effects.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well type 1.5 is only a slang term. Problem is the docs only really seem to totally acknowledge sudden juvenile onset type 1 diabetes, and insulin resistant type 2s. Everything in-between is a grey area, especially as most docs think type 2 is self inflicted and all type 2s are overweight etc and prefer to hit type 2s over the head with things and verbally chastise them.
Oh I *so* agree.....I get so sick of people with the attitude of "you did this to yourself, if you would just eat better you wouldnt have this problem". Not too long ago another co-worker of mine (yes...a nurse even) told me that I didnt need my insulin pump...if I would just start walking everyday I would be fine. I just stared at her waiting for the punchline...I honestly thought she was kidding. When I realized she wasnt I just told her...yeah ..thanks...I feel better already...and I walked away. I couldnt even begin to try to educate her since I was so astounded at her ignorance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's sad that its not well understood yet. It's been around for how long now and it's not going anywhere. Apparently there is a stigma that I was unaware of. It's sad. Really sad.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've read here on this forum about Type 1.5 and am wondering what that is. I'm pre-diabetic with an A1C of 6.2 and fasting glucose of 107. I'm morbidly obese according to my bmi. :(

So what is type 1.5? I've never heard of it before. But then again, I'm new to researching diabetes.
Type 1.5 is also called LADA. It is a slower form of type 1 diabetes in adults in which only one or two types of antibodies attack the beta cells that make insulin. I am not a doctor but I would put down a good size bet that you are T2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.