The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 26 and have had type 1 since about 13. Over the past 3-4 years i have put on about 20 pounds with no explanation. I eat less and exercise just as much as I use to. My A1c has not been in control for a while now and my doctor has told me once I bring my A1C down to stable range that I should start to see the weight come off. I also recently started metformin. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I always thought diabetics tend to LOSE weight with higher sugar levels due to all the sugars spilling out. Now that I have been on the metformin, I have no appetite and regardless of the low-carb and now very scarce diet I am on, still not one pound will budge. I am worried I will never be able to lose anything; but right now I'm just concentrating on getting my A1c back down to a healthy range. Hopefully my doctor is right when he says the weight will eventually come off.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Kate, I can see where you are coming from and having weight issues can make you feel less off being better. Because that you are getting the insulin to work for you, The carbohydrates will make you gain weight.
I am also f fff fat. :( and love good food. I am a type 1 and have to inject insulin to just eat!!
Exercise is your wepon Kate. Do you like to dance?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Kate, welcome! How long have you been diabetic? If you are Type 1 you should be taking insulin. Metformin is a Typr 2 medication. Are you sure you are Type 1? Maybe your doctor has not made an absolute diagnosis yet. If you are a Type 1 with insulin resistance, like me, then you would need both insulin and a Type 2 medication like metformin. I gained 57 pounds in the early 1990's due to my Humalog insulin. Modern day insulins can cause weight gain. I reduced my carb intake to 130 carbs per day and I walk at a brisk pace for 1 hour each day. I have lost 26 pounds and still need to lose 31 pounds. It takes a lot of patience and hard work to lose weight. Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
My suggestion to you is to exercise daily, since to keep ones weight down you need both good food and exercise, not just one or the other. Go on a 30 minute walk 3 times a week, that in itself will help. You don't have to go to a gym or get all extreme, just simple things like walking instead of driving to the store will help you lose weight.

Hope that helps!

-Chaco

·
Registered
663 Posts
Go on a 30 minute walk 3 times a week, that in itself will help.
Yes that's the go. :D and increase it a little. Have the diet a look into as well and look at the stuff that will give you energy for a long time. ;) Fruit, Veg, Lean meat, Fish (Or fush in NZ :eek:) So be a television chef and create a storm!!. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts