The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres my stats: 26yrs old male, have had type 1 since i was 4yrs old. Very in shape and eat healthy. Im not even close to being overweight and my sugars have been under really good control.

Last night being St Patricks day i went out with some friends and had some green beer. My blood sugar crashed later in the evening and i noticed my feet and ankles were swollen, not to the point where i couldnt get my shoes on though.

Just want to know if it was the beer that caused this beings as how i dont drink much beer or if it was the crash?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, dfrazier . . . good to meet you! :)

I'm not a type 1, not even on insulin, and not much of beer drinker either, but my guess would be it was the beer. Had the swelling subsided by morning?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ok, heres my stats: 26yrs old male, have had type 1 since i was 4yrs old. Very in shape and eat healthy. Im not even close to being overweight and my sugars have been under really good control.

Last night being St Patricks day i went out with some friends and had some green beer. My blood sugar crashed later in the evening and i noticed my feet and ankles were swollen, not to the point where i couldnt get my shoes on though.

Just want to know if it was the beer that caused this beings as how i dont drink much beer or if it was the crash?
I would say the alcohol caused the crash most likely. Alcohol consumption can cause hypoglycemia shortly after drinking and last for several hours afterwards. About the swollen ankles I am not sure. Alcohol usually dehydrates you...thats actually what causes that "hangover headache". Hopefully someone here knows..now I am curious :)

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i didnt notice my ankles and feet till this morning. Im at work and they are still that way. This happened this past summer and it went away eventually

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have never read anything about getting swollen feet and alcohol. That probably will remain a mystery. You didn't say if you are on insulin but if you are, alcohol can lower your blood sugar. I have read that many times. I don't drink, so I have no real experience with alcohol.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
well i didnt notice my ankles and feet till this morning. Im at work and they are still that way. This happened this past summer and it went away eventually
Do you remember the details from this summer . . . did it accompany a crash at that time too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This summer it was beer drinking also, when i drink liquor it doesnt happen, as for yesterday it was all beer. And no, i do not think this summer was assisted with a crash. As for insulin, im on humalog with carb counting and lantus before bed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds a bit odd! Have you asked your doctor about it?

I know that alcohol does cause hypos, and I don't drink much at all (just don't fancy the stuff), so that could be the reason behind that, but not sure about the swollen feet. Maybe your body is reacting to the beer? Who knows? Suppose your doctor will!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea im thinking thats the case, this morning the swelling is almost all the way down in both feet, my left one is a little achy but other than that they seem better. Im gonna lay off any drinking activities for a while. Not worth the worry and im too young for any complications

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
yea im thinking thats the case, this morning the swelling is almost all the way down in both feet, my left one is a little achy but other than that they seem better. Im gonna lay off any drinking activities for a while. Not worth the worry and im too young for any complications
That's prob'ly a smart move on several levels ;) . . . I've often wished I had the money I spent on booze when I was young - could invest it & live off the interest! heheh :D :D :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry, good choice.

Let us know what your doctor says, if anything! And as Shanny says, think of all that money you have saved :) Alcohol is not cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts