The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a father of a soon to be four year old with type-1. I am
from Germany and we will probably travel internationally in the future. Can anyone give me some ideas what we need in order to get all the insulin, glucose meter, syringes, etc. on the plane?
Markus

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Markus. Traveling for me and my kit has been a breeze, at least between Mexico and the US. I keep all my diabetic essentials in a separate little bag I keep in my purse (make sure you take those things in a carry-on bag you don't want it, particularly the insulin, in the hold of an airplane). I just tell them I have diabetic supplies and up til now they've never even opened it. It's also a good idea to have a letter from the Dr. saying you have to have those things with you though I've never been questioned and had to present it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mail it?

Maybe if you know the hotel or place of where you will be staying, you can mail it out to the location by UPS, DSL or whatever mail carrier you choose.

I'm actually surprised 1 member said it was easy to tote on the planes. I thought the homeland security team (well, if you're coming to the U.S.) would be more stricter with that, and u may undergo some trouble that you wouldn't care for.

Hello. I am a father of a soon to be four year old with type-1. I am
from Germany and we will probably travel internationally in the future. Can anyone give me some ideas what we need in order to get all the insulin, glucose meter, syringes, etc. on the plane?
Markus

·
Registered
219 Posts
Easy to bring with you. Just keep it in a small separate bag and announce it when going through screening. I travel every week (sometimes international) and have not had a problem yet. Happy traveling!

Cheers!

Jeremy

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
261 Posts
Maybe if you know the hotel or place of where you will be staying, you can mail it out to the location by UPS, DSL or whatever mail carrier you choose.

I'm actually surprised 1 member said it was easy to tote on the planes. I thought the homeland security team (well, if you're coming to the U.S.) would be more stricter with that, and u may undergo some trouble that you wouldn't care for.
It is very easy to transport. Also if you check the TSA website for traveling with Diabetic supplies, including pumps, it tells you the same things. No probs us Diabetics are *special* :).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Of all the times we have travelled down south I think I was asked once or giving the look, I told he guy it was my BG meter he said he knew what it was, that includes all our trips to Cuba, also get a letter from his doctor just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's simple I get a letter from my Doc stating I am type 1 and need my med's on me at all times.
Airports are used to this , I have travelled from Ireland to Scotland , England , America , Spain , Australia with no issues they are fairly used to it.And most times the letter isn't needed but I have it just incase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've traveled to Canada with mine. Shipping can get really expensive and possibly unreliable (with customs and all).

I just make sure I have a Dr's note & my script, and be really up-front with the TSA folks and the customs officials on the 'other side'.

You have a legitimate (not to mention life threatening!) reason to carry the equipment so they have to let you have it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
A letter from the doctor should suffice. Remember to pack the stuff in your carry-ons. Also, if you travel to warm places I recommend you to bring a bag to keep the insulin nice and cool. FRIO has some great products for travelling, you just soak the bags in water and the drying process cools it down. I've ordered it from romalore - not sure if they ship abroad but at least you can check it out in order to know what to look for.
Happy travelling!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would not trust to ship supplies separately. Too many risks of it getting lost. Always keep insulin and an adequate supply on your person. Extra syringes etc. for extended trips can be put in your check-in luggage. Of all the years I've travelled I've never been asked by any security to show my Dr's letter. I still carry my Dr's letter, though, in case I lose or run out of supplies and need to see a local Dr or pharmacy in an emergency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts