The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching , but could not find anything on this.
I am about to embark night shifts on bank work at a nursing home.

Wondering how to prepare for and what to do on the day/night with my insulin .

I am on 4x daily injections, so it should make it easier..

I am confused and would really appriciate any help..

Louise

·
Registered
279 Posts
I work nights, too, but I am a type 2 diabetic. I really don't have to be concerned with feeding anyone else as my two oldest children are grown and gone and I only have a 19 year old in the house with me. So I don't have to cook meals, really. I eat when I wake up, around 5 pm or so. It's usually a lighter meal. You can consider that breakfast. :D Then I have a snack around 10 pm before I go in to work. I eat a 'dinner type' meal around 300 am, give or take a half hour. We are given dinners at work but I usually bring something in case the dinner served is not diabetic friendly. I usually bring a soup and salad or a sandwich, or leftovers of some sort. I also usually have an apple or banana and peanut butter in case I need a snack. Then I eat a meal around 8 or 9 am and go to bed around 1030 am or so. I am not a type one diabetic so I'm not sure how your meal planning should work. I am on metformin and Byetta twice a day. The metformin I just take morning and evening the the Byetta I talk about an hour before my two biggest meals, so I may have more flexibility than you. Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck. I LOVE working nights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am a type I diabetic and work the midnight shift-- well technically it is a night shift with variable hours-- but mostly I start around midnight... It was a hard adjustment but I just kinda "played" with different meals and insulin times... I have found that if I eat around 10pm a nice breakfast (eggs and bacon) and then around 3 am or 4 am have a snack I can go till around 6am without feeling any type of high/low and without really feeling hungry. As I said I have varied many different ways of dealing with this and have found what works for me... Not saying this is the best method but it worked for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts