The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been a Type 1 Diabetic woman for 26 years, since I was 6 years old. I am currently using the older model of the Medtronic Paragigm pump. Have never had experience with any other pumps.

I became pregnant which was unplanned and I am currently 11 weeks along. I joined this forum since I am hoping to find more information on how to manage diabetes better during pregnancy and after pregnancy.

Right now I am looking at the Animas and Medtronic pumps as well as the continuous glucose monitors by Dexcom which works with Animas and the Medtronic CGM. Medtronic has Carelink and Animas/Dexcom seems to be equally great since they both transmit BG readings, bolus inputs, and basal info and is readily seen on a handheld device. As far as I know, Medtronic is only able to have the meter transmit the BG readings only and the Carelink requires uploading of the info.

It is hard to see which would be a better choice to go with but I really would like to use a CGM and a different pump that can pump in 0.25 increments since 0.6 and 0.55 at nighttime are not working out too well for me. One produces low BG readings, and the other produces high BG readings.

I will be looking into how much Medicare would pay towards the Animas pump. My husband and I will be paying out of pocket for the CGM plus the copayment for a new pump if I get a new pump. We want to use the best for the pregnancy itself.

Sorry about the very long post but I am really hoping to find other members that have had experience with both and hopefully would share their thoughts upon those topics.

Any suggestions outside of those topics would be appreciated as well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant 0.025, not 0.25 increments. I just realized that Animas have a software similar to Medtronic. Also, I am stuck with Medicare until I am able to join my husband's insurance the day the baby is born. We cannot afford a new pump so under Medicare, I am able to upgrade to the next very basic pump that Medtronic offers which is the Medtronic Revel. I expect it would be the same with Animas, being able to get approved only for the most basic oldest model they have currently on market. We are able afford to pay out of pocket for a CGM however. So that is where we are at. I will find out more about which pump I wold be able to get with Animas and update that info on here.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Rose. We're glad you found us.

Since you want to know how to manage diabetes better during pregnancy, there is information at this link Normal Blood Sugars In Pregnancy. that I would want to know if I was pregnant.

But that would be sort of a miracle since I will be 70 later this month. My 'little ones' are 49 and 47, but will always be 'kids' to me. When that little one gets here, hang on tight because they don't stay little for very long.

26 years since you joined a diabetic forum, and you end up at the best one on the web, good job.

Welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Welcome Rose, good luck with getting a new pump.

iPhone using DF app

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have read many posts in diabetes groups about CGM's. The Medtronic CGM with the Enlite sensors are not nearly as accurate as the Dexcom CGM with the G4 sensors. That is the general opinion I have read many times. There are some people who say they are having good luck with the Medtronic CGM, but there are many complaints as well. I recommend the Dexcom CGM. I have used it in the past, but I had to stop using it since it is not covered by my present health insurance plan.

Reactions: hitcheca

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I use the Medtronic pump with the Enlite sensor. It works well for me. I have been on the pump and sensor since Feb. of this year and the only problem I am really having is trying to figure out where to put it if I want to wear a dress. I am new to the pump and to diabetes as well. In the beginning it was overwhelming but I have met many wonderful people in different support groups that have been a wonderful support system and able to give me information that has helped me. I love my pump. Don't know if my reply helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts