The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I need someone to answer some of my questions I have about alcohol and diabetics. I am not a diabetic, but my boyfriend is. He has been since he was 9, he is now 30. My question is:
What are the long term effects of him drinking? It's not like he has a beer occasionally. It's a 6-12 pack every other night. It has gotten worse over the last year and I'm starting to get worried. He has neuropathy and does not have leg hair on his calves and cannot feel all of his feet. He takes Lantus 2 times a day and then also Novolog about 4 times a day depending. His sugar will go from 40-700 in a day. He acts goofy sometimes and has a very short fuse lately. I am beginning to become concerned about his overall health. Can someone please help me? I love him very much and I worry about him, but I'm not sure if I am being overbearing? Please if anyone can answer my questions, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sounds like he has a drinking problem. He should quit or be be comitted to rehab. There really isn't anything you can do since you are not married and no legal rights to do that. What he is doing is commiting suicide on a slow pace but it ends the same way. Tell hime to drink 1 glass of red wine a night instead of a 12 pack and he will do much better.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's a wicked swing in levels. I would also tell him if he doesn't start to moderate or quit he could end up with pancreatitis then he will wish he never touched the stuff when he has an attack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts