The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My type 1 wife and I have sometimes talked about whether it is better for type 1s to eat slow-burning carbs (low GI) or fast-burning carbs (high GI). Of course, it's well known that slow metabolism of carbs is a good thing for type 2s. However, our wondering is based on the fact that her bolus insulin (Novolog) has a limited window of time for action, and that being the case, these carbs might not be showing up as glucose into the blood until after the bolus insulin has been depleted. Conversely, fast acting carbs would tend to all become glucose while the bolus insulin's effect is in full force.

Besides the fact that a lower, flatter, and slower BG peak from a meal is generally healthier for type 2s and non-diabetics, it generally seems to be true that low GI foods are healthier than high GI foods in terms of nutrients and just overall healthiness. Many low GI foods ought to be eaten by everyone just because they're great foods.

All that being said, does slow burning of carbs taken by a non-pumping type 1 help or hurt BG control? Not considering the other health benefits of foods, are fast acting or slow acting carbs better?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Funny, as a newly diagnosed Type 1, I have been talking about the same thing with my wife. I guess the first question is, what is the window of time for the Novolog? From what my Dr. said, it hits quickly, then has a rather long declining tail. This of course lends itself to the possibility of stacking if not careful. It does also seem (at least from what I have seen in myself) that it is missing my spike from the slower burning carbs every time.

For me, I can't seem to control the slower burning carbs with my Novolog. Fast burning carbs seem to burn much easier. Please keep in mind that I don't speak from too much experience, just what I have noticed since starting insulin.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Funny, as a newly diagnosed Type 1, I have been talking about the same thing with my wife. I guess the first question is, what is the window of time for the Novolog? From what my Dr. said, it hits quickly, then has a rather long declining tail. This of course lends itself to the possibility of stacking if not careful. It does also seem (at least from what I have seen in myself) that it is missing my spike from the slower burning carbs every time.

For me, I can't seem to control the slower burning carbs with my Novolog. Fast burning carbs seem to burn much easier. Please keep in mind that I don't speak from too much experience, just what I have noticed since starting insulin.

Thanks,

Jeremy
I take my Novolog after I eat because I have gastroparesis (slow digestion) and I am usually under 100 at 2 hours. And I agree it does have a nice tail!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts