The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I was referred here by Richard, a T1 for a long time. (Sorry, I forgot his username, and it's hard to look it up with the iPhone.)
Here's my story in a nutshell:

2 years ago I decided to stop drinking coke. I was drinking a tonne of the stuff, and I was always thirsty. Water started tasting so good, so refreshing. I started my "water diet. "

Much to my surprise, the weight started dropping off. I decided to go "low carb," meaning I wouldn't have fries with my McDonalds burger. LOL.

The weight kept coming off. In retrospect, I was a little worried, but happy that it was coming off so quick. The only problem? I was drinking about 8 liters a day! Not to mention getting up in the middle of the night to pee all the time.

I got my weight down from 230 to 175. My wife was pissed. LOL.

I decide to get insurance in Feb of 2010, and I needed a standard drug pee test. Bo problems. Then I got a call to redo the test. Apparently the nurse may have made an error.

The second test was chased up with a blood test. No problems. A week passed with no news. By this time I was down to 168. Yah!

Then my wife got a call; I was to call my family doctor STAT. Hmm. That freaked me out. I had a full blown panic attack there.

I called my Fam doctor, only to find out he lost his license. LOL

Finally I begged a clinic to get me tested, something. I went to get a fasting blood test.

Two days later, I got the call. Yep. Diabetic.

The original pee test measured at 52 mmol. (936 for you US folk.) I had cheated on the fasting test and ate 3 hours prior to the test. LOL

The secondary test showed 32 mmol (only 535 that time.)

The hospital blood test showed me at an A1C of 17.1%. Nice!

My first meter test was 24.4 mmol (about 440). Needless to say, that day changed my life!

Now, I know what REAL low carbing is. I am awaiting my first real endo exam (I have seen endos at the Diabetes center, but I am on the waiting list for an endo to follow me.)

I later found out that I am most probably a LADA type 1. It's sad to know that I will lose my pancreatic function, but I plan to hold that off for as long as possible.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
From that description we all know who Richard is!

I too am a LADA, with numbers similar to yours -- with DKA at diagnosis ... but not changed to LADA from Type 2 for 15 months.

Welcome ... glad (or not ;-)) you are here. I am sure you'll contribute a LOT!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What a story! Calling your doc for lab results and finding out he lost his license? Whew.

Isn't it amazing how we push through and continue on with such high numbers? It does seem at some point we'd wonder (I didn't either) why the heck we're drinking ourselves to death. It seems our oh-so-intelligent body would give our brain the reasoning power to work things out before our numbers got that high :)

Welcome to the forum and the world of low-carb. Interesting that you had carb conciousness enough to eliminate the fries - at least it was a start!

Glad you're here, glad you're on the road to stabilizing your blood sugar and stopping the damage in its tracks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! One thing my new doctor said was he didn't understand why the insurance company didn't ask me to go to the hospital right away. Funny, huh?
I never ended up in DKA, thank goodness. If I had not demanded the test though, who knows what would have happened?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome to the 'club' no one wants to join :) Seriously, I'm glad you were diagnosed when you were or who knows how sick you might have become. You seem to have a good start and I hope you will visit the forum often.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Richard is a mentor for many of us. He shows us how to live very full lives as diabetics and still stay healthy. I found out I was diabetic through my opthamologist who was doing follow up tests. He told me he could swear that I was diabetic. But I didn't have any symptoms, was not overweight and ate very healthy and exercised. I was sure he was wrong, but unfortunately he was right. I then started to educate myself about diabetes and how it affects my body. I do my best to keep bgs in a good range. Some days are better than others. I am only on metformin now but know at some point my beta cells will poop out and need insulin.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welocme

Hello everyone! I was referred here by Richard, a T1 for a long time. (Sorry, I forgot his username, and it's hard to look it up with the iPhone.)
Here's my story in a nutshell:

2 years ago I decided to stop drinking coke. I was drinking a tonne of the stuff, and I was always thirsty. Water started tasting so good, so refreshing. I started my "water diet. "

Much to my surprise, the weight started dropping off. I decided to go "low carb," meaning I wouldn't have fries with my McDonalds burger. LOL.

The weight kept coming off. In retrospect, I was a little worried, but happy that it was coming off so quick. The only problem? I was drinking about 8 liters a day! Not to mention getting up in the middle of the night to pee all the time.

I got my weight down from 230 to 175. My wife was pissed. LOL.

I decide to get insurance in Feb of 2010, and I needed a standard drug pee test. Bo problems. Then I got a call to redo the test. Apparently the nurse may have made an error.

The second test was chased up with a blood test. No problems. A week passed with no news. By this time I was down to 168. Yah!

Then my wife got a call; I was to call my family doctor STAT. Hmm. That freaked me out. I had a full blown panic attack there.

I called my Fam doctor, only to find out he lost his license. LOL

Finally I begged a clinic to get me tested, something. I went to get a fasting blood test.

Two days later, I got the call. Yep. Diabetic.

The original pee test measured at 52 mmol. (936 for you US folk.) I had cheated on the fasting test and ate 3 hours prior to the test. LOL

The secondary test showed 32 mmol (only 535 that time.)

The hospital blood test showed me at an A1C of 17.1%. Nice!

My first meter test was 24.4 mmol (about 440). Needless to say, that day changed my life!

Now, I know what REAL low carbing is. I am awaiting my first real endo exam (I have seen endos at the Diabetes center, but I am on the waiting list for an endo to follow me.)

I later found out that I am most probably a LADA type 1. It's sad to know that I will lose my pancreatic function, but I plan to hold that off for as long as possible.
Hi Jason and glad you found us through a reference. Jump right in and I'm sure you'll get loads of good thoughts and information here.

Gene

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Jason. Sounds like you are getting things in hand. You are the third chef who has joined the forum in the past few weeks. I am soooo envious. Glad Richard directed you here. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome, Jason! We met on Facebook, is that right? Did your wife lose some weight after your weight loss? :D I lost about 16 pounds this year, and my wife was jealous! I need new pants, but she doesn't want me to spend the money. I think she wants me to pig out and regain the weight. :rolleyes:

Your story is interesting. I hope things will go well for you in the months ahead. Take a look at the information here and ask all the questions you want.

Richard

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right on Richard, we sure did meet on Facebook. I like this forum, as it is nice to my computer and IPhone, it seems to be active, and there's no drama either.

I look forward to learning, and helping if I can.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Your help is appreciated Jason. We are looking forward to your participation!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Reactions: Patdart and foxl
1 - 12 of 12 Posts