The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Susie I'm 19 and i got type 1about a year ago and still struggled to maintain motivation even though I've already seen what can happen. Here's my story:

i was in my last year of highschool getting ready for college when in march i was in a play, the day of dress rehearsal i was sicker than a dog. i figured it was a crazy stomach flu but was very wrong. after spending the day home i drove to rehearsal stopping a few times on the way to puke. i had to leave as id still couldn't keep anything down even though i was drinking squirt to calm my tummy, (didn't know then that was the worse thing i could do) and spent that night with my dog and toilet close to my side. in the morning i felt like i was dying, my whole body began to burn after i tried to eat a banana my. kidneys the worse, but then my chest began to throb and i started hyperphenventilating. luckily my sis and brother got me to the er i was going in and out and after when i woke up i learned i not only had been dying but i had type 1. They told me i was in ketoacidosis and my bs was 906 mg/dl i was told if it had been minutes later i wouldve died in a diabetic coma.

it really messed up my life and i still haven't fully accepted it. i have good diabetemanagement sometimes but i need to stay on track all the time. know there's people like me here, because i know few diabetics around me and if you don't have diabetes its hard to understand how it is

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have read you story and feel very sorry for you. I got type 1 at the age of 2 and luckily I know no different. All I would say to you is this. It will get easier and soon you will be living your life without really having to think about what you eat or that you need an injection because it will be second nature. You just need to give it time. Good luck and keep talking to the guys on this forum. they really know their stuff!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi my name is Susie I'm 19 and i got type 1about a year ago and still struggled to maintain motivation even though I've already seen what can happen.
That is a horrific initiation into diabetes, Susie - so thankful you lived to tell about it, and have been able to find us too! There is a trainload of support here & many type 1 people, so I hope you'll be able to visit often & get better acquainted. It helps SO much having others who truly understand how it is!

Take care and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
633 Posts
After a while you just look at it as one of lifes little things. I know it doesn't seem like it now but making part of your daily routine is the best thing you can do. It is here to stay I can assure you so make friends with it.

I do agree with you that it is hard to understand if you don't have it. Just keep in mind that the only person who really needs to understand it is you. Every diabetic is different and yet somehow alike. A lot of type 1's have had a similar experience, like the one you described, when diagnosed. No one did anything wrong and there was no way for you to prevent it.

You should feel good about being alive and enjoy life. By the way there is no such thing as the perfect diabetic. We all do things wrong from time to time. After almost 40 years I am still gaining experience and finding out new things that work and thing that don't work but that I thought would work and tried anyway.

You have to accept it as part of your life but not let it become your life or control your life.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You have to accept it as part of your life but not let it become your life or control your life.
I like this - worthy of tattooing in our brains.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Susie, welcome aboard! You have overcome the worst stage of your diabetes, and you can now take good care of yourself and consistently improve your control. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy.

Ask any questions you want, we are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Susie - your intro to diabetes mirrors mine. The short version is that I'd been sick and exhibiting signs of diabetes but ignored it for a few weeks. One morning I ended up worshipping the porcelain god, crawling into the shower (because I almost could not stand) and sitting on the floor looking up at the water handles thinking they were so far away that I'd never be able to reach them. My husband finally took me to the ER, where I was pronounced a T1. Blood sugar was 750, A1C was 15.5. A three-day hospital stay was enough to convince me that I never want to repeat that adventure!

After I got the insulin shots and fingersticks down, life got back to normal. I still do everything I did before joining the T1 club - travel, entertain, cook, dine out, garden, hike, canoe....you name it. I have down days of course, but overall life is good. Thinking of diabetes as just part of my new normal really helped me get over the shock, grief and anger.

Best,
Jen

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Susie...my son was diagnosed at 16 :(...it's a big life adjustment...I think this forum is an excellent place for anyone with diabetes but especially if you have questions or need support...you will always have someone to talk to...come back soon :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Susie! :welcome:

Very sorry to learn about your intro to The D ... but am delighted you found us! :D

It's so very important for us to surround ourselves with folks who understand, even if it's online.

Hope we see your phosphors often!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts