The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! I'm a type 1 diabetic. Treatment for me is going back and forth from an insulin pump (ping) to lantus and Mdis. Just got back on the pump yesterday and I have an appt with my endo soon. My numbers lately have ran too high but I'm very good about not letting them get too out of control. My worst time of day is dawn and yes, I suffer from the dawn phenomenon. Nice to meet everyone! :0)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good morning everyone! I'm a type 1 diabetic. Treatment for me is going back and forth from an insulin pump (ping) to lantus and Mdis. Just got back on the pump yesterday and I have an appt with my endo soon. My numbers lately have ran too high but I'm very good about not letting them get too out of control. My worst time of day is dawn and yes, I suffer from the dawn phenomenon. Nice to meet everyone! :0)
Hi,Countrygal ,

I had the same problem I suffered a problem of dawn it was very difficult to get up in the morning. I do not know the level of your blood glucose but here is my little recipe after dinner I took my insulin and just before I go to bed I take two dattes.It is my recipe but I strongly advise you to follow the advice of your doctor
awaleh.
you're welcome Countrygal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awalhe, thanks so much for your reply :)
Can I ask you, what did you mean 2 dattes before bed. Wanted to find out because it might really help me too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Countrygal :yo: and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and get comfortable :couch2:. There is a wealth of information on the forum, read what interests you and ask any questions that you have. We will answer your questions. How long have you had diabetes? Why do you keep going back and forth with a pump and MDI? I thought that a pump is an answer to a diabetics dream? I would love to have one! I hope that you can visit often and take care!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
A pump can give you very good control and eliminate morning highs. You have to know a lot about your pump and how to program it. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh is a big help. What is your insulin:carb ratio, and your insulin sensitivity level? You have to know those and much more before your pump is going to give you good control. Ask an questions you want, we have several pumpers with a lot of experience here.

Richard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awalhe, thanks so much for your reply :)
Can I ask you, what did you mean 2 dattes before bed. Wanted to find out because it might really help me too.
HI Countrygal,

Fruit, dates, grouped in bunches, are berries, sweet flesh surrounding a "core" bone that is actually the seed.
Dates are the fruit sweet.

Awaleh

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, welcome! Nice to see one more new member. Dattes or dates like berries are full of iron and magnesium and good for instant energy. You can also drink a cup of milk with 2 or 3 dates soaked in it before going to bed. This will also stop morning lows...:ranger:

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Countrygal :) glad you've joined us. I think we all are not fans of the liver dump. I got told to wake up between 2-4 am and test my BGLs to see where I was sitting. Sometimes I've actually been quite low and other times I haven't... it's hard to actually catch it. It's supposed to happen at 3am for most diabetics apparently... but doesn't actually always work that way for me. Maybe it has to do with how well you actually sleep too? I'm not sleeping that well lately... but I reckon I know I've had the liver dump in the morning as I feel like I'm coming out of a hypo when I wake up. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, so glad to be here! Ok I was dx in 2002. Both parents had diabetes too :( part of my problem is I snack before bed and a big problem I fear is that I need to adjust basals from like midnight till early morning but won't do it as I should because I fear lows. Another thing is i am brittle . I can eat the same meal at the same time 2 days in a row and take same bolus and one of the days I'll drop low and the other go high! What is that about? Makes me fudge on my boluses cause I'm afraid it will be one of the times I just happen to go low by reasons unknown....activity level ruled out in those instances as well. Do any of you have the same struggle with insulin usage as me? I've got to get a handle on it friends because my hb1ac is always around 7.8!!! I know that's not good. I'm going to soon post my insulin/ carb ratios and basals, etc. I weigh 124 and in my mud 40s.

O

·
0 Posts
yeah I've had that experience often... same amount of food and type of food and completely different BGL readings. I can't explain it either. But for me it's more than likely my health that is the issue in that I have a few things I'm dealing with right now and one where I don't even know what it is... some GI problem. Do you have any health issues? Maybe even pain? Anything like that could impact your BGLs. I saw my endo recently and he's happy with my basal units of insulin and doesn't want that changed for now. Although he commented that my bolus insulin may need to be increased in afternoons by 2 units... but he's not keen for me to do this immediately because I've had a few hypos being on higher bolus insulin. He knows my health situation and still waiting for answer himself on what that is... he has made a referral for me too for second opinion. I've only been on insulin a year now... so probably still fine tuning it myself. I'm sure there are others on this forum that have heaps more experience with it. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mep, so good to know I'm not alone in the hide and seek with daily numbers and bolus issues. Gets so ridiculous sometimes. And yes, I have pain issues as well as thyroid issue. I have non existent thyroid and am on meds for that. I'm so glad your on the pump. I think absorbtion may also play a part in my problems with the pump . Should use my legs but I always rip out the site when I use the bathroom so I generally only use my stomach and think I've overused it....

O

·
0 Posts
I'm not on the pump actually... I'm still doing 4 injections daily (1x basal & 3x bolus) at the moment. I'm not sure whether I'll wind up on pump later or not. Will see how I go injecting for now. I'm not keen on pump because of stories about the 'site' from lady I used to work with... the description that the needle is way longer than the injection pens put me off. lol. I use my stomach though and always try below belly button as they've advised me to do.... but I somehow always wind up with bruises and I'm starting to look like a pin cushion. I seem to have 2 favourite spots I use all the time... either right or left of my stomach basically. Your health issues could be affecting your BGLs. I would imagine your thyroid not functioning properly would make your body struggle with energy? maybe you get regular liver dumping even as a result?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice to meet ya countrygal. I have struggled with dawn phenomenon for years. Going on the pump has helped the most, but hasnt eliminated it completely. That is also my worst time of day. Setting a higher basal rate from 2-7am helped me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mep, so good to know I'm not alone in the hide and seek with daily numbers and bolus issues. Gets so ridiculous sometimes. And yes, I have pain issues as well as thyroid issue. I have non existent thyroid and am on meds for that. I'm so glad your on the pump. I think absorbtion may also play a part in my problems with the pump . Should use my legs but I always rip out the site when I use the bathroom so I generally only use my stomach and think I've overused it....
Bad pump sites are sometimes an issue for me if I put it in a place that I have used a lot for insulin injections. I am not a big fan of using my thighs. I know some people that love that site but I get lousy absorption there. My thighs are pretty muscular though so I am wondering if that might be the reason. Its the one place on my body where I dont have as much SQ fat layer.My favorite places are my hips, lower back, lower abd and the back of my arms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mep and Mae, ok I fiddled with my basal last night and upped my 12:00- 2:00 a.m from .55 to .60 and this morning bs was 159!!! I know that's still high but got me out of 200s lol... Maybe even higher than .60 is what I need u think? I'll think on that today. Just Curious... What are yalls basal set at from 12:00 am - say around 4:00 a.m?

O

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure how the pump works? But my basal injection is 17 units of Lantus at the moment. I inject that 8.30pm every night. I swear it wears off though by the afternoon the next day. But it's doing the trick for overnight as usually my fasting BGLs between 4.5-5.5 on average.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The pumps use only one insulin, Mep . . . fast-acting. So a pumper's "basal" is a setting on the pump, not a different insulin. Just FYI . . . ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Onlymep, if you took another basal injection at 8:30 AM then it would help you later in the day. You can split your basal and take the two doses 12 hours apart like that. Many diabetics need to do that. You would need to experiment ans see what kind of split would work best. Maybe 14 units in the evening, and 3 in the morning for the first experiment. Just a suggestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts