The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's think of the following situation:
I was diagnosed as diabetic. I am over 30 years old. Not fat, exercise from time to time and no diabetes history in my family. How does the doctor decide if I am type 1 or type 2?

The lab test c-peptide can distinguish between the two.

C-peptide test
Definition:
In biochemistry, peptide is a compound of two or more amino acids.

What is c-peptide?
The pancreas secretes proinsulin, comprised of insulin and c-peptide molecules bound together. The two types of molecules split and are released into the bloodstream. The insulin is the active hormone, while c-peptide remains biologically inactive. Consequently, it is possible to measure the level of c-peptide in the bloodstream which would indicate the amount of insulin secreted by the pancreas. It is for this reason that the injected insulin does not affect the c-peptide level.

Type 1 diabetes: The c-peptide level is extremely low, since the pancreas nearly ceases the production of insulin. During the honeymoon period, the pancreas still secretes low amounts of insulin, resulting in low c-peptide level.
Type 2 diabetes: The pancreas is still active and secretes insulin. Due to insulin resistance, the cells do not respond properly to insulin, prompting the pancreas to increase its production. Consequently, the c-peptide level would be either normal or above the average.

Iris peleg

·
Registered
2 Posts
C- peptide

Hello Iris,

Could you or someone else explain to me what the reference values of c-peptide are, that is what are the values of c-peptide of non-diabetics? What is considered as low c-peptide values?

I'm 33, average weight, c-peptide level 2, GAD antibodies negative, got diabetes in my opinion only due to extreme stress, having a metformin therapy, so far successful..

Thanks a lot,

Teresa:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
c-peptide results

I am not familiar with the results just with the technique.

I do know that the result is to the quantity of c-peptide relative to the quantity of glucose.

Thus,
If the sugar level is high and not much c-peptide or none: the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin. type 1

If the sugar level is high and level of c-peptide is much higher: insulin resistance. type 2

I can only guess that the result of 2, means that there are double amount of c-peptide that should be relativly to the amount of glucose. Again, this is my guess only.

The stress didn't cause the diabetes. It turn nonclinical insulin resistance to clinical. If not on that time it would apear later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts