The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best bread characteristics for my breakfast toast. I heard that whole grain and high fiber is a good direction.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,
Jere

·
Registered
916 Posts
well for me, I have NO bread or bread products . No grains what so ever. My BG would go father through the roof. Thats just me. I bought those Flat Outs & Tortillas . I spike with them so I put them in the freezer for now.

I think each person is differant in what they can & can't eat.

welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I looked up tortillas and they aren't bad. I guess my thought is how does fiber in bread affect the processing of the bread's cards.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The only bread I can get away with is a low-carb one found in some stores. It has 5g total carbs, 1g of which is fiber making 4g. I really just use it as a "vehicle" for lots of butter, almond butter, heavy cream, etc.

All other breads (12g to 40g per slice) are completely out of the question. The fiber will do very little. Actually the "healthier" breads (whole grain multi-grain, et.) are worse for us as they typically contain many more carbs per slice.

The fiber content "may" just slow the deluge of glucose into your bloodstream slightly but will have no effect on the total amount of glucose you derive from that piece of bread which is the real issue for long-term management of diabetes.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I just can't have bread of any kind in the mornings. I'm way too carb sensitive early in the day. I use those tortillas which are very low carb (about 7 g which is 4 or so when Net is figured) for a rollup sandwich later in the day...preferably noon when I can get by with a few more carbs. Bread is just not part of my life anymore...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am looking for the best bread characteristics for my breakfast toast. I heard that whole grain and high fiber is a good direction.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,
Jere
I've quit bread. Will add a slice or two for lunch or dinner when my premeal and fasting numbers are in the 80's or lower

I used to love bread like crazy, especially bagels and pretzels. On some days in Paris all I would have in a day was one big French baguette. Those days are over :(

Tony !

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I've also q

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The only thing I can eat as toast at breakfast is GG bran crispbread. You can determine for yourself by testing your blood one hour after eating certain low-carb bread & if your BG stays under 140 (7.7), it might be okay for you. But most of us have had to eliminate bread and any other grain products from our menus. Those grains include corn, rice, wheat, oats, etc., and it means any and all products made with those grains. So sorry, Jere, that's just the way diabetes works.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The only thing I can eat as toast at breakfast is GG bran crispbread. You can determine for yourself by testing your blood one hour after eating certain low-carb bread & if your BG stays under 140 (7.7), it might be okay for you. But most of us have had to eliminate bread and any other grain products from our menus. Those grains include corn, rice, wheat, oats, etc., and it means any and all products made with those grains. So sorry, Jere, that's just the way diabetes works.
1. Are you in England? And, do you know if this GG flatbread is available in the US?

2. Have you tried any low-carb breads which typically have only 4 or 5 g of carbs per slice? (Some are even lower, but they don't even taste like anything edible!) I usually don't find these to be any problem and often eat about 4 or 5 slices in a week, usually at breakfast. I almost never hit 120 at any time.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I also have stopped using bread. Once in a blue moon I will eat sprouted grain bread, and it tastes so good but I find it starts my carb cravings going again. So it is just a special treat. I also use the GG crackers and rarely get a spike. I get mine by the case from Netrition. I take them with me when I travel too. I also use the Sourdough WASA crackers. They are not bad with eggs and bacon. Many of us make our own low carb breads using almond meal or coconut flour or other seed meals.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
1. Are you in England? And, do you know if this GG flatbread is available in the US?

2. Have you tried any low-carb breads which typically have only 4 or 5 g of carbs per slice? (Some are even lower, but they don't even taste like anything edible!) I usually don't find these to be any problem and often eat about 4 or 5 slices in a week, usually at breakfast. I almost never hit 120 at any time.
I'm in south-central Missouri & I order the GG crispbread from Amazon where they qualify for free shipping. I have tried Ezekiel sprouted bread & WASA crackers too, and both spike me a little. I'm waiting to get an order out for WASA sourdough because I think I remember Jeanne saying they are lower carb than other WASAs.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can`t eat regular bread, but I really loves my crackers. Easy to make and so tasty that friends who visits me ask for the recept allthough they not are diabetic. One baking tray is 10 large crackers, each has 1,44 kh!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Again, a request....can you post your recipe in the recipe section? If you'd rather have someone do the conversions post and one of us can convert to US measurements?

You add so much to the group!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you go to a lot of gluten free sites, they have fantastic cracker recipes. Most are made with almond meal, cheese and water.

Comfy Belly
Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

To answer your question about fiber in bread. Fiber is not absorbed in the blood stream. So if a piece of bread is 25 grams of carbs and 5 of those are fiber. 20 grams of carbs are still absorbed. That is why we look for the lowest carb bread if we are going to eat bread. There are a few brands that are under 10. You just have to try different brands to see how they taste.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Again, a request....can you post your recipe in the recipe section? If you'd rather have someone do the conversions post and one of us can convert to US measurements?

You add so much to the group!
Thank you so much!
Of course you can have my recipe!
My reciepe is in grams (50,100 and 200), 2 ss (1 soup spoon = 15 ml), 1/2 ts (1 teaspoon = 5 ml) and 1/2 liter. We uses celsius degrees. I also use Psyllium hulls , but I wonder if thats the right word in english?
Can I use those measurements or will it be difficult for you to understand?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That should be fine. Psyllium hulls are called that in the US, so again that would be fine. I like to try new things, so you sharing your recipes will be educational for all of us. Also, we can convert celsius as you have to convert our system of stating blood sugar numbers. Just post and let us see how it goes!

The sites jwags posted are all good sites, by the way, but you'll have to convert, but maybe it would be worth the effort or at least gain ideas to enhance your diet.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The recipe on my crackers are now ready. Please tell if there is something thats not explained properly.
I really enjoys to read new recipes, and also to make food, which my family loves:rolleyes:. I`ve already started to read in the recipe-section.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The only bread I eat now is at lunch and it's always a dark bread it's poison. Had pizza the other night and ate the bare minimum of the crust and still paid a high price

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would look for a low carb bread and just have one slice. I like the Country Hearth Light Italian which has 8 gms of carbs, 2 gms of fiber. There are other low carb breads and a couple that are lower in carbs than this one but I think the taste of this one is really good. I still don't eat it often but if I really want bread, this is what I eat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts