The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to deal with it. My Dr. took 3 years to diagnose my diabetes, 3 years of me complaining about having something wrong with my feet and thinking I had chronic bladder/kidney infections.

That was in '96. I weighed 473 pounds the day I came to him and begged them to check my urine one more time. This time they did instead of just sending me off with a script. My blood sugar was 500+ and of course I was spilling sugar.

They sent me on my way with a bottle of Metformin and he told me to quit drinking sodas. I lost 150 pounds in a year by dropping sodas but you know what? They never did a thing other than that. I hadn't ever known anyone who was diabetic, I was young and had no clue what this all meant.

Now, I'm 45... I met my husband when I was 40 and his entire family was diabetic. They opened my eyes to what had happened to me and how I'd slipped between the cracks.

Guess what? I'm falling apart now. I take over 120units of Lantus a day, and over 100units of Humalog and most times can't get my sugar under 250 - 12 hour fasting blood sugar will be 250 sometimes. I have lost the ability to know when my blood sugar is low, yet sometimes 160 will cause me symptoms. 45 will do nothing. My blood pressure will not regulate itself anymore, I don't digest food for days, I have no sense of where my feet are in relationship to my body, on most days... other days I wish someone would take a chainsaw to my body.

It goes on and on.

Anyway, I'm Carrie, from central illinois and I'm hoping to learn a LOT from you folks.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Carrie. take a look around and you'll see that there are a lot of people around here that are fairly active, and taking on things one day at time

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hang on, Carrie, and focus as TBP says . . . one day at a time, one foot in front of the other. There sure are times it feels like the end of the road, but so many of us have gone there & come back, so we know things can get better.

Tell us about your diet & any other methods use for managing your diabetes.

And thank you for joining us - great to have you here!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello Carrie! I was glad you posted the information about yourself and some of the problems you had getting proper health care.

I can relate to your tale about having a crummy doctor who took forever when it came to diagnosing your diabetes. In my case, I had no problem with my diabetes (Type 2) diagnosis - 6 years ago - but two years ago I was very concerned about the possibility of having OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea - something we diabetics are especially at risk for) and my Dr. just dismissed it. I had all the classic symptoms like loud snoring, daytime drowsiness, waking up 3, 4, 5 times a night to pee, getting sleepy when driving, etc. Finally I insisted and demanded he arrange that I have a sleep study. Guess what?! I have Sleep Apnea and a profoundly severe case of it as well!

We cannot always rely on the "experts" to manage our health ... it is something we ourselves must take charge of.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
How to deal with it. My Dr. took 3 years to diagnose my diabetes, 3 years of me complaining about having something wrong with my feet and thinking I had chronic bladder/kidney infections.

That was in '96. I weighed 473 pounds the day I came to him and begged them to check my urine one more time. This time they did instead of just sending me off with a script. My blood sugar was 500+ and of course I was spilling sugar.

They sent me on my way with a bottle of Metformin and he told me to quit drinking sodas. I lost 150 pounds in a year by dropping sodas but you know what? They never did a thing other than that. I hadn't ever known anyone who was diabetic, I was young and had no clue what this all meant.

Now, I'm 45... I met my husband when I was 40 and his entire family was diabetic. They opened my eyes to what had happened to me and how I'd slipped between the cracks.

Guess what? I'm falling apart now. I take over 120units of Lantus a day, and over 100units of Humalog and most times can't get my sugar under 250 - 12 hour fasting blood sugar will be 250 sometimes. I have lost the ability to know when my blood sugar is low, yet sometimes 160 will cause me symptoms. 45 will do nothing. My blood pressure will not regulate itself anymore, I don't digest food for days, I have no sense of where my feet are in relationship to my body, on most days... other days I wish someone would take a chainsaw to my body.

It goes on and on.

Anyway, I'm Carrie, from central illinois and I'm hoping to learn a LOT from you folks.
Hi Carrie and welcome to the forum! I take alot of insulin and I just try to think that it is what I need to do to live. I have hypo unawareness and it is not fun. I have gastroparesis (slow digestion) and neuropathy in my feet and in my left hand, there are days when I can't feel some of my fingers. My blood pressure is normal for now. We all have bad days. Come to the forum and vent and RANT & RAVE! There is so much support here, I hope you have time to visit often! Take care!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh, by the way, CONGRATULATIONS on losing 150 pounds ... that's wonderful!!!

:high5:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Please give us an update. I hope you start visiting and posting more often.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Carrie. You have taken an important first step in coming here. I really do think the medical community does a lousy job with diabetics. They rarely give us the information that we need to control this disease. I remember I was D for more than 2 years before finding online forums like this one. I thought I was doing good because I had lowered my HbA1c into the mid 7's. It was not until I read all the old posts that I realised how much above normal I really was. I also thought I was eating a good diet because I wasn't gaining weight and actually had lost some. Reading other peoples success stories and how they got HbA1c into the 5's motivated me to relook at what I was eating and how I was exercising. I also realised I didn't test enough and definitely at the wrong times a day. My doctor told me to vary testing from day to day only testing once a day at different times. Once I learned about eating to my meter and testing after all meals, I started to change the way I ate and my bgs and weight started to fall. The collective wisdom on online forums has helped me so much. I'm sure they can help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was golf that turned up my diabetes. Came in from a round with brown urine. That sent me to the Dr who ran tests and said, "You DO know you're diabetic, right? Turned out the "brown urine" was blood caused by a kidney stone (another long story). Diet and exercise controlled for nearly 10 years.

Oh, and I gave up golf.

G

·
hi Carrie - I hear what you're saying.... it can be a hard slog. As others have already advised it's a day to day thing really. I hope you're doing well. I'm currently experiencing problems with entire digestive system... have done for past 4 years... although it's got worse in past year. I can relate to lousy medical treatment as to date I have no answer about what my problem is. I've been doing lots of reading on internet though & listening to experiences from others. I went to Iridologist/Naturopath who claimed I had 'gallbladder' problems amongst other things... I still don't know if he's right as yet? But if he is... how on earth did my docs miss this? I again looked up symptoms last night and I have all of them listed... either every day or at some point in the past year (most of them everyday though). I have ultrasound booked this weekend... will hopefully find out after that. If that's not it... then I still have to undergo more tests. Keep you chin up and I hope you have found a good medical team to care for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My digestive issue turned out to be diverticulitis. Took nuts and popcorn out of my diet and haven't had any troubles since. Not that they were terribly good for me to begin with.

G

·
It would have been a relief for you DrDon to know what you're dealing with at least. I don't know what I'm dealing with... my endo agrees it would probably be impacting on my BGLs daily. I've had an embarrassing problem for the past year... I burp constantly (when having attack which can last hours I'm burping every 5-10 seconds I counted)... 24/7 sometimes. I've almost forgotten what normal is. I feel the need to constantly apologise to people around me... my family think it's funny... but at the same time feel sorry for me. Actually there's not much my digestive system doesn't do that's embarrassing. I'm losing sleep almost daily now and I have pain attacks where pain shoots under my rib cage and sometimes radiates up my back and through my shouldr blade. Well I have my fingers crossed that I'm not far off from answer... that way I can finally get myself sorted and hopefully get BGLs under better control too as a result.... oh and less infections (I've had a tonne of them mostly bladder & kidney in past 4 years... chicken or the egg scenario) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd seriously get another opinion on that one. Excuse the "Dr" in my name. It's from a distant past in veterinary medicine.

G

·
I'm currently getting treated by gastroenterologist and going through all the elimination tests. It just took a long time to finally get the referral... as guess what answer I continually got from endo & my GP? "It's your diabetes". Could it be possible that I have something else affecting my diabetes perhaps? I asked that question a lot... problem is I kept getting infections... so then they were the excuse for digestive problems from my docs. Well finally they listened and agreed diabetes and infections possibly caused by something else... only took 4 years. hmmm. I'm constantly tired and just literally worn out... have to keep working & such though. I often think that we know best but docs don't listen very well... they have the medical degree so must work through process of elimination bit rather than listen and make educated guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've heard the infections take longer to heal. I've had mixed results with that. Some things heal quickly one week and take forever the next.

G

·
yeah... I've heard that too. Often I get 2 weeks break & then another infection. I think on average I've had 20+ weeks worth of antibiotics every year for past 4 years (could be more than that as I've lost count).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm currently getting treated by gastroenterologist and going through all the elimination tests. It just took a long time to finally get the referral... as guess what answer I continually got from endo & my GP? "It's your diabetes". Could it be possible that I have something else affecting my diabetes perhaps? I asked that question a lot... problem is I kept getting infections... so then they were the excuse for digestive problems from my docs. Well finally they listened and agreed diabetes and infections possibly caused by something else... only took 4 years. hmmm. I'm constantly tired and just literally worn out... have to keep working & such though. I often think that we know best but docs don't listen very well... they have the medical degree so must work through process of elimination bit rather than listen and make educated guess.

Getting repeated infections is not normal. Ask your doctor to test your serum immunoglobulins. I keep getting pneumonia, had 5 bouts from August 2010 to December 2010. My doctor called in an immunologist to help with the frequent bouts of pneumonia. My serum imminoglobulins are not normal. I am waiting for the results from my blood test on 12/30/10. I might need some infusions to help my immune system. I had never heard of immunoglobulins until October. :confused:

Reactions: Dodie37737
1 - 20 of 21 Posts