The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a type 2 and just got busted by not going to the Dentist for a few years. :(

3-4 my molars will either need a crown or a root canal/crown.

No biggie I have had a few.

1 old crown needs to re-done and I have 2 options.

1. Get a root canal/crown , but he would need to do minor gumer surgery to get all the decay.
2. Pull the tooth and put in an implant - This is $$$$$$$
**Not planning on doing this **

Here is my question:

As a T2 , do I consider Dentures ? I am in my mid-forties and my front half of mouth teeth are fine.

My molars (up/down) are not. Silver fillings that lead to crown and/or toot canals.

I am embarrassed to think about it to get Dentures.

I have read Dentures are bad for diabetics ...

IS this true ?

TIA.

just_tryin

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you still have many strong healthy teeth, couldn't a partial denture take care of the missing molars? I don't know sic 'em about this - I still have all 32 of my original teeth, so you're welcome to tell me go peddle my papers somewhere else! I won't mind! :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am a type 2 and just got busted by not going to the Dentist for a few years. :(

3-4 my molars will either need a crown or a root canal/crown.

No biggie I have had a few.

1 old crown needs to re-done and I have 2 options.

1. Get a root canal/crown , but he would need to do minor gumer surgery to get all the decay.
2. Pull the tooth and put in an implant - This is $$$$$$$
**Not planning on doing this **

Here is my question:

As a T2 , do I consider Dentures ? I am in my mid-forties and my front half of mouth teeth are fine.

My molars (up/down) are not. Silver fillings that lead to crown and/or toot canals.

I am embarrassed to think about it to get Dentures.

I have read Dentures are bad for diabetics ...

IS this true ?

TIA.

just_tryin
SAVE EVERYTHING YOU CAN! I got lower dentures at age 16 and upper dentures at age 25. I had to get dentures, no options. You will never chew or talk the same again. I was hardly able to eat my bacon today because I have some sores under my dentures. I spent $1,000 more than a year ago and got new dentures, too bad I can't wear the,. they are so thick and uncomfortable. Get the partials and see how much time that buys you!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got upper dentures at 48 - no choice. I only have 6 front lowers and I'm supposed to get partial lower plate but I don't really want to. My best advice is if you still have a reasonable choice don't get dentures. I take mine out to eat unless I'm around non-family (just finished a huge T-Bone steak with just my 6 natural teeth - it works). I consider the dentures as cosmetic only for work, etc. At home I'm mostly just toothless. Dentures are uncomfortable, foods don't taste right - avoid them if you can.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My Teeth Are Departing Daily!

It isn't funny, but, if you can't laugh at your problems, who will?

I've been losing teeth faster than money, and that says a lot in this recession!

I have a combination of problems causing me to lose my teeth. The number of meds that cause dry mouth, and the diabetes are causing my mouth to look like a tornado came through and destroyed everything from the gums up!

I now have both upper and lower partials. My dentist tried to save each tooth. She fought heart and soul to keep the teeth in the mouth, but, we both lost the fight. Thanks God, in the last seven months, I haven't had to go to the oral surgeon. There for a while, I was there on a monthly basis.

I still have all my front teeth, and three of the wisdom teeth. However, everything else broke into pieces just by biting into bread and soft rolls.

I've tried all of the oral (OTC) meds to keep my mouth from being dry, like the desert, but, they just didn't work, and I lost 11 teeth over 14 months.

I think I'm finally over the hill (well, I am 64 years old, so I guess I'm over the hill in some ways), and my dentist believes the remainder of my teeth will be salvageable.

So don't feel badly if diabetes takes a toll on the teeth. There seems to be little many of us can do.

Good luck, and try to save each tooth as long as possible. I did, and it was well worth the effort!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had a top denture for over a year. They fit very well and I dont have a lot of trouble with them. It is harder to bite into things, like I can not eat an Apple without cutting it up first. My teeth were to a point where it is nice not having the tooth pain. I will be getting a partial lower denture when money allows it. If you have a good dentist that makes a good denture, its not the end of the world. I dont know if I would trust the "cheap places" That make dentures. All of that being said..... would I like to go back and take care of my natural teeth and not have this problem?? You bet!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts