The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm Carlo from the Philippines, currently diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I've had it for 2 years already, i'm in my later 30s & still adjusting to a restrictive life. I hope that I may learn as much I can on proper diet, ideal exercise & fundamentals on how to contain, manage & control this disease.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Diabetes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to hear from fellow type 2 diabetics on the forum as this ailment is causing me much worry, stress & negativity. i need encouragement & people to talk to.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Diabetes

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Carlo Welcome to the Forum :) Enjoy your stay and check out Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Carlo. We have a pretty active group here & I'm glad you found us. It's a great boost to our morale when we have others to talk with who understand what we're going through. The worry, stress & negativity is pretty much consistent with the diabetes "drill", but I think once you get a handle on controlling your blood sugar levels, a lot of that will subside & you'll begin to see the rewards when you feel better & know you're doing everything you can to stay healthy and avoid complications.

Do stay tuned - with an international group such as this, people come by at all times of day, so just because you don't find posts right quick, only means it's night on the other side of the world & folks are asleep! ;)

Take care, visit us often, and thank you for joining us!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Carlo - welcome to the forum. JT gave you good advice on where to get a basic understanding and education about diabetes.

Having diabetes doesn't mean having a restricted life. It does mean making some changes in habits, but seeking good health usually means lifestyle changes for people without diabetes also. So look at it as enchanced health, not restricted life :)

The fundamental thing I did that gave me the greatest result is severely cut my carbohydrates. That means I no longer eat potatoes, rice, grains, bread, most fruit, cereals, sweets, milk - and eat more meat, healthy fats (avocado, nuts, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, cream), fish, eggs, non-starchy vegetables (meaning no corn, peas)

I've given up a lot of foods, but also gained many through finding new ways of cooking and incorporating new foods. Not bad!

When first diagnosed, I tested my blood sugar almost compulsively (maybe 10x/day) as I tried to get a handle on what was going on in my body, how it was responding to various foods at different times of the day. Now that I'm fairly stable, I'm able to relax and test less, but still do monitor when I introduce anything new, an odd combination of foods, or have a variance of routine.

bloodsugar101.com will be extremely helpful for you.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Carlo & welcome, Im new to this forum as well, read lots, and try to relax, as Im beginning to under stand there is no Quick fix, which was what I was looking for, there is so much knowledge here, just soak it up.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome, Carlo and I hope you enjoy your stay with us. We do have a few other members from the Philippines who are also Type 2 so you should be able to get some good advice from them as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts