The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was diagnosis with Type2 on July 2009. Doctor asked me to take Metfrmin 1000 Mg twice a day. I continued it for 1 month. After that I stopped to take this medicine and controlled my blood sugar by diet and excercise. I had HBA1C was 5.8 in September, 2011 end. It was working fine till 1 month back. In last month I had FBS - 130 and after meal - 170.
I started to take metformin plain ( 500 mg ) after breakfast. It controlled my sugar but I think I have side effects of it. My stomach is used to upset, heart burn when I started to take metformin. Also In the night, I used to have pain in my both arms.

I am in New york for 6 months and I don't have any precription of any medicine.

Can someone suggest how can I get rid of these side effects ?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you can get your doctor to switch the Rx to the Extended version of metformin it may be gentler on your stomach. Also what type of foods are you eating. I find with some higher carb processed food I get a lot of stomach upset with metformin. Also I find increasing my daily fiber with flaxseed, chia seed and some bran crackers does help with the metformin side effects.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can get your doctor to switch the Rx to the Extended version of metformin it may be gentler on your stomach. Also what type of foods are you eating. I find with some higher carb processed food I get a lot of stomach upset with metformin. Also I find increasing my daily fiber with flaxseed, chia seed and some bran crackers does help with the metformin side effects.
Thanks..
I am pure Vegetarian ( even no egg ). In breakfast, I take one glass of milk ( with out sugar ) with oats, In Lunch, I have salade , boiled beans ( white,black,red ) and in the dinner I take wheat breads ( home made ) with Veg curry .

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was a vegan before I was dx'd with diabetes. Once I started to test I found my vegan meals of wheat bread, beans, quinoa, brown rice would send my bg soraing. So I have added eggs, butter, and meat back into my diet to be able to lower my bgs. Unfortunately I have had to give up the oatmeal, wheat bread, rice, potato and pasta. I can still eat beans in very small portions (1/2 cup)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Manuamdev,
I am going to take a guess here. From your diet it seems you're an Indian or are following a diet similar to an Indian diet. If that's the case please let me know and I can make some specific suggestions around our diet that you can incorporate. (If I am sorry then I'm sorry) Let me make some quick comments ->

For a few days, Cut all breads, oats and other grains. Also try to cut most legumes which includes beans (Ok if you need to have try limiting the portion to one bowl). Increase the consumption of vegetables (except starch ones like peas) and cheese

For example I had Broccoli + chunks of Cottage Cheese in a nice cheesy white sauce for dinner. It had no effect on my BG after the meal.

I would suggest have the milk in the evening. Try getting full fat milk instead of the so called "healthy" skimmed milk. For breakfast try something that has primarily fat and protein.

The effects (bad) of Metformin can last for a couple of weeks. I am not sure whether metformin is a prescription drug or OTC in the US but if it is an OTC just go over and get the extended release. You can also try to have the metformin in the middle of your meal. Some people find that helpful.

If you are travelling for work and have insurance you can visit the doctor and he can write you a prescription. I had to visit a doctor last time I was in NYC and it worked out well for me.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I asked my doc about the extended release Metformin and she looked at me like I was insane. Does anyone know if that version is available in Canada or if it's only in the US?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Manuamdev,
I am going to take a guess here. From your diet it seems you're an Indian or are following a diet similar to an Indian diet. If that's the case please let me know and I can make some specific suggestions around our diet that you can incorporate. (If I am sorry then I'm sorry) Let me make some quick comments ->

For a few days, Cut all breads, oats and other grains. Also try to cut most legumes which includes beans (Ok if you need to have try limiting the portion to one bowl). Increase the consumption of vegetables (except starch ones like peas) and cheese

For example I had Broccoli + chunks of Cottage Cheese in a nice cheesy white sauce for dinner. It had no effect on my BG after the meal.

I would suggest have the milk in the evening. Try getting full fat milk instead of the so called "healthy" skimmed milk. For breakfast try something that has primarily fat and protein.

The effects (bad) of Metformin can last for a couple of weeks. I am not sure whether metformin is a prescription drug or OTC in the US but if it is an OTC just go over and get the extended release. You can also try to have the metformin in the middle of your meal. Some people find that helpful.

If you are travelling for work and have insurance you can visit the doctor and he can write you a prescription. I had to visit a doctor last time I was in NYC and it worked out well for me.
Hi,
You are right. I am an Indian ( Delhi) and I am in NewYork since October and will be here for next 6 months.
Yes metformin here is a prescription drug.

Please suggest some diet for me ( suits to Indian meal ) :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It is a bad food for most of us. Reread Tony's suggestions to you. Eat a lot of cheese for protein and only eat 'above ground' vegetables, leave of the bread, only drink high fat milk or cream and see how it goes. Also, ask the doctor to prescribe Metformin XL for you. In a week or so you should see good results in your blood glucose and stomach upset. For some it seems to take longer to adapt to.

Glad you joined us. Enjoy your stay in the US.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a bad food for most of us. Reread Tony's suggestions to you. Eat a lot of cheese for protein and only eat 'above ground' vegetables, leave of the bread, only drink high fat milk or cream and see how it goes. Also, ask the doctor to prescribe Metformin XL for you. In a week or so you should see good results in your blood glucose and stomach upset. For some it seems to take longer to adapt to.

Glad you joined us. Enjoy your stay in the US.
Thanks Pat for your reply. I will consider your suggestion. I have a doc appointment next week. I will ask him for Metformin XR.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
On an indian veg meal you can eat most vegetables except green peas and poratoes. Vegetables grown under the ground are usually high in starch so we dont have them. Have extra helpings of home made vegetables

Legumes (dals) are an important part of our diet so can have them, but only a bowl (no second helping). Have paneer (cottage cheese) dishes like kadai paneer, shahi paneer, paneer pyaza, palak paneer etc. As long as these dishes dont have sugar, cashewnuts or sweet sauces you are safe.

Have 10-12 almonds everyday. Good for cholestrol and general health.

You can have soya nugget dishes but Dont overdo on the soya as soya has other issues.

Have full fat milk. Instead of the morning have it at in the evening or night (we tolerate carbs better then).

You can have haldiram bhujia (not potato but normal) as a snack since the carbohydrate content is low. You can get this at any indian store, probably across the river in Jersey City. You can add butter, ghee, eggless mayo and sugarless peanut butter to your diet

The only thing you are really cutting off is rotis (breads) and rice. Essentially the picture is that we are reducing carbs, increasing fat and keeping protein as more or less same. We make these replacements while keeping the total calorie intake as same. Determine your body's calorie requirements using a BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) calculator. There are several rough calculators available on the internet.

There is a low (lower) carb way to make rotis (indian bread). I take 40 gms atta(flour), 40 gms oat bran or wheat bran and add 20 gms almond powder. Add some green leafy vegetable like methi and knead all of this into a dough. We make 4-5 rotis from this dough. Each has 10-15 net carbs (carbs minus fiber). This process can be long and not easy if you dont cook food there. You may also avoid the almond powder if you want. Have this roti with ghee or butter on it. The additional fat reduces the impact if the carbs

Normally i dont have rotis with a meal that has legumes. I can have them with vegetable/paneer/soya dishes

If you like Subway you can have all forms of salads with full fat dressings like southwest, full fat mayo etc. If you want a sub I would suggest getting the sub toasted and then requesting the person making your sub to scratch off the soft part of the bread on the inside of the sub and make it hollow. This reduces the carb content significantly. Add extra cheese and lot of full fat dressings and veggies. Get your sub cut into two parts and have three inches at a time. This will avoid your BG from shooting up.

There are many ways you can improvise on your diet. You will learn many more tricks with time

I think you have the picture.

Shoot more questions if you have them

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On an indian veg meal you can eat most vegetables except green peas and poratoes. Vegetables grown under the ground are usually high in starch so we dont have them. Have extra helpings of home made vegetables

Legumes (dals) are an important part of our diet so can have them, but only a bowl (no second helping). Have paneer (cottage cheese) dishes like kadai paneer, shahi paneer, paneer pyaza, palak paneer etc. As long as these dishes dont have sugar, cashewnuts or sweet sauces you are safe.

Have 10-12 almonds everyday. Good for cholestrol and general health.

You can have soya nugget dishes but Dont overdo on the soya as soya has other issues.

Have full fat milk. Instead of the morning have it at in the evening or night (we tolerate carbs better then).

You can have haldiram bhujia (not potato but normal) as a snack since the carbohydrate content is low. You can get this at any indian store, probably across the river in Jersey City. You can add butter, ghee, eggless mayo and sugarless peanut butter to your diet

The only thing you are really cutting off is rotis (breads) and rice. Essentially the picture is that we are reducing carbs, increasing fat and keeping protein as more or less same. We make these replacements while keeping the total calorie intake as same. Determine your body's calorie requirements using a BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) calculator. There are several rough calculators available on the internet.

There is a low (lower) carb way to make rotis (indian bread). I take 40 gms atta(flour), 40 gms oat bran or wheat bran and add 20 gms almond powder. Add some green leafy vegetable like methi and knead all of this into a dough. We make 4-5 rotis from this dough. Each has 10-15 net carbs (carbs minus fiber). This process can be long and not easy if you dont cook food there. You may also avoid the almond powder if you want. Have this roti with ghee or butter on it. The additional fat reduces the impact if the carbs

Normally i dont have rotis with a meal that has legumes. I can have them with vegetable/paneer/soya dishes

If you like Subway you can have all forms of salads with full fat dressings like southwest, full fat mayo etc. If you want a sub I would suggest getting the sub toasted and then requesting the person making your sub to scratch off the soft part of the bread on the inside of the sub and make it hollow. This reduces the carb content significantly. Add extra cheese and lot of full fat dressings and veggies. Get your sub cut into two parts and have three inches at a time. This will avoid your BG from shooting up.

There are many ways you can improvise on your diet. You will learn many more tricks with time

I think you have the picture.

Shoot more questions if you have them
Thanks a lot. I will consider your suggestion..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I visited to doctor today. He did basic examination and BP check. He asked me for some blood and urine test. Also asked me to reduce weight. ( my current weight is 179 LB ).

He will prescribe the medicine only after looking into blood test result.

And yeah - In every two minutes, he was telling me that I am too young to have diabetes :(:mad:

As of now I am following Tony's advise...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of 28, 9 months like many others on this forum. I am now 29.

I think going by my HbA1c of 12.7 at diagnosis I think I was diabetic for atleast an year or two before being officially diagnosed.

In my previous tests around August 2007 I was not diabetic

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Diabetes hits regardless of age. I have heard stories of children as young as 9 being dx'd as Type 2's and adults as old as 80 being dx'd Type 1. It really makes me mad that so many doctors have this misconception of what a diabetic should look like. I am a thin diabetic and I have a hard time getting doctors to take my diabetes seriously. One thing about diabetes is you are captain of your own ship. Make sure the doctor works for you. Don't let him tell you that higher bgs are common for diabetics and just accept them. In the last 5 years I have learned to do my own research about drugs, therapies, carbs and bgs. My goal is to get as close to normal as possible. I will still be diabetic but I will be a controlled diabetic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm the same, I'm only 28 and dx, doctor was surprised as I don't fit the general mold, but I was dx insulin resistant at 18 so it just progressed from there. I don't think it's bad to be dx this young, to me it just means we know earlier in life to control our diet and exercise, and hopefully live longer for it :)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Being diagnosed was a great thing for me, it finally explained the fatigue I'd been feeling! It was like a timer went off when I hit 40 though, this year I've been diagnosed with both hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. Warranty's expired apparently. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts