The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about the type of exercise a diabetic needs. I know it may sound like a no brainer sort of question but I'm a bit confused. Do we need more aerobic exercise or does something like yoga or tai chi help? I am currently underweight actually (another reason for the confusion since I really don't need to lose weight) but I was wondering if others have a similar problem and how they approach exercise from this perspective. I've lost weight somewhat drastically due to badly controlled blood sugar, something else I'm working on.

Any advice anyone can give me we be so greatly appreciated, believe me!

Have a good day/evening

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Research has shown the BEST exercise for diabetics (The research focused specifically on Type-II diabetics) is a combination of BOTH Aerobic exercise and Resistance (Weight) Training.

This was research done here in Calgary studying 251 adults with Type II. Overall the group that did both Resistance and Aerobic exercise had MUCH better reductions in their A1c's than the groups that did only one or the other.

That being said, the group that did BOTH actually worked out twice as long as either of the other two groups... so the reduction may also have been that fact...

Overall though, I thoroughly believe that a combination of the two is simply best for anyone that can.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think this is a question that is going to differ from D to D. Before diabetes I did a ton of high impact aerobic exercise, yoga, pilates and weight lifting. Although it helped me lose weight it didn't help my bgs at all. I would work out 2-3 hours a day and still was dx'd with an HbA1c of 11. When I started to test before and after exercise I noticed a strange thing. My bgs would go up with exercise. So all the exercise I was doing was actually hurting me. So I have changed the way I exercise now. I exercise according to my bgs. I try to limit my workouts to 45 minutes or less. If I am going to exercise more than that like a 3 set tennis match I will bring a snack to eat halfway though to try to trick my body into not dumpling glucose. As diabetics we need to be aware of how our individual bgs react to exercise. This may mean testing several times during exercise. I would have to say, now the best exercise for me is walking. I can usually walk 4-5 mile with only a 20 point spike where before a kick boxing class would give me an 80 point spike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told not to exercise if my blood sugars were high as it can make your blood sugars raise even further and stay there for up to two days. I was also told to avoid heavy weights as they put too much pressure on the already sensitive blood vestles of diabetics and they force the muscles to work differently to cardio and can have adverse effects on blood sugar levels.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I was told not to exercise if my blood sugars were high as it can make your blood sugars raise even further and stay there for up to two days. I was also told to avoid heavy weights as they put too much pressure on the already sensitive blood vestles of diabetics and they force the muscles to work differently to cardio and can have adverse effects on blood sugar levels.
Don't discount the advice... but TEST for yourself.

When I'm running High, I can drop my blood sugar by 3 full points (54 points on the US scale) simply by riding a bike for 10 minutes...

As for weights ... YES, heavy weights can raise your blood sugar... the best idea is not to start with heavy weights...

But as we're all different, instead of following advice that may not be applicable to you, testing is highly recommended.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Treadmill does it for me

I bought a second hand treadmill which tells me how fast and how far I am walking etc. There are several on the market as it takes determination to stick to it. Hubby set up a small TV in the room so I can lose myself in a programme for half an hour.After only a few weeks my clinic nurse was pleased my average was down from 74 to 67 so I am encouraged to keep going. I have never been able to eat fish and all those 'good' foods so am into chicken,salad, fruit and multi grain bread. I am nearing 70 and my brother died at 68 from Diabetes so an incentive for me to keep walking, darn it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like said above, test this for yourself.

But I will say that this is the case for me. If I am even a little high and exercise, it either raises it further, or does nothing. Excercise for me alone does not lower my blood sugar levels like it does for some people.

But it is something you need to test for yourself. I know someone who has a time limit. Seems that if she does more then 40 mins of exercise, she starts to raise. But under that, and she's good. Trial and error!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been wondering about the type of exercise a diabetic needs. I know it may sound like a no brainer sort of question but I'm a bit confused. Do we need more aerobic exercise or does something like yoga or tai chi help? I am currently underweight actually (another reason for the confusion since I really don't need to lose weight) but I was wondering if others have a similar problem and how they approach exercise from this perspective. I've lost weight somewhat drastically due to badly controlled blood sugar, something else I'm working on.

Any advice anyone can give me we be so greatly appreciated, believe me!

Have a good day/evening
I would recommend high intensity exercise with weights and kettlebells as well as sprints to build muscle and reduce fat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts