The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Clair. I was diagnosed with diabetes on the 17th of September 2014. A couple days ago... I was told that I've probably had it for years. I'm guessing since I was 11-12 because that's when my hair started falling out and when I started getting sick all the time. Randomly feeling exhausted and anxious. Always grumpy because I was always hungry and always uncomfortable. bleh... But yeah, I'm just... trying to soak in the fact that I have diabetes. It's been really hard the last couple of days. It feels unfair, like 'God' hates me or like I did something to deserve all this trauma in my life. I've been crying a lot... So I've been trying to get more informed and been trying to find other diabetics who can offer me support... My family doesn't get it. They don't understand...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Clair. Welcome to a cyber-houseful of folks who understand exactly what you're going through, and we've gone through most of it ourselves. And while it can be overwhelming and disheartening, let me tell you there's cause to cheer up - we can help you gain and maintain control of this disorder, to ensure a long healthy life free from complications.

Of course, there are adjustments that must be made, but those soon become second nature, and we have such strength in numbers that none of us need feel alone or hated. We learn that we are not being punished - we did not bring this on ourselves. This may help you understand better - the real causes of diabetes. The whole BloodSugar101 site is a goldmine of trustworthy information, so don't stop with the 'real causes' - go ahead and learn how to lower your blood sugar, and all the other excellent subjects addressed there.

Weekends can sometimes be slower online, but others will be here soon to lend support too. Take a deep breath and dry your eyes. We're here for you to lean on. Just surfing around the threads here will help you get acquainted - the other introductory threads are always a great place to look first.

p.s. Now when you feel better, do tell us your test results, and what your doctor has prescribed for your treatment. If you don't have a meter to test your blood sugar, do get one as soon as possible.

Welcome aboard and thank you for joining us. :hug:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Clair! :welcome:

Delighted that you found us! Sorry that you had to. You'll find lots of info, support, and the best kind of nosiness here.

Many of us, in fact, find all or most of our support here.

In the Spirit of Nosy, I'd like to ask you a few questions:

-- Have you been tested for diabetes Type? (Adults are not always tested. It's simply assumed they're Type 2.

-- Are you on an eating plan?

-- Are you on meds?

Your answers, plus any additional questions you may have, can help us help you!

Others should be chiming in before long. (Weekends are sometimes a tad slow.) In the meantime, here are a few links on diabetes and food that you may find helpful:

Please read a lot, post a lot and ... most of all ... ask lots of questions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Clair. Welcome to a cyber-houseful of folks who understand exactly what you're going through, and we've gone through most of it ourselves. And while it can be overwhelming and disheartening, let me tell you there's cause to cheer up - we can help you gain and maintain control of this disorder, to ensure a long healthy life free from complications.

Of course, there are adjustments that must be made, but those soon become second nature, and we have such strength in numbers that none of us need feel alone or hated. We learn that we are not being punished - we did not bring this on ourselves. This may help you understand better - The whole site is a goldmine of trustworthy information, so don't stop with the 'real causes' - go ahead and learn how to lower your blood sugar, and all the other excellent subjects addressed there.

Weekends can sometimes be slower online, but others will be here soon to lend support too. Take a deep breath and dry your eyes. We're here for you to lean on. Just surfing around the threads here will help you get acquainted - the other introductory threads are always a great place to look first.

p.s. Now when you feel better, do tell us your test results, and what your doctor has prescribed for your treatment. If you don't have a meter to test your blood sugar, do get one as soon as possible.

Welcome aboard and thank you for joining us. :hug:
Thank you very much for the heart warming response. <3 I really appreciate it. I hope I can make some good friends and find lots of support here. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Forum, Clair! :welcome:

Delighted that you found us! Sorry that you had to. You'll find lots of info, support, and the best kind of nosiness here.

Many of us, in fact, find all or most of our support here.

In the Spirit of Nosy, I'd like to ask you a few questions:

-- Have you been tested for diabetes Type? (Adults are not always tested. It's simply assumed they're Type 2.

-- Are you on an eating plan?

-- Are you on meds?

Your answers, plus any additional questions you may have, can help us help you!

Others should be chiming in before long. (Weekends are sometimes a tad slow.) In the meantime, here are a few links on diabetes and food that you may find helpful:

Please read a lot, post a lot and ... most of all ... ask lots of questions!
I'm not really sure what type of diabetes I have to be honest, I was so shocked that my brain just stopped everything. I don't really remember walking out of the doctors office either. Or that entire day..

I have a dietition appointment on monday and then another one on the 30th. I hope I can learn a lot from them.

My doctor started me on metmormin or something? She said I'm going to have to start off slow, and then eventually, we'll be going onto injections and stuff. She also said I don't need my meter yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was diagnosed several years ago, my doctor prescribed a meter right away...don't buy one, you can get them free with on-line coupons or ask your pharmacist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was diagnosed several years ago, my doctor prescribed a meter right away...don't buy one, you can get them free with on-line coupons or ask your pharmacist.
that's what my mom said too. there was cupons on the TV. my coupon is coming in the mail

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
that's what my mom said too. there was cupons on the TV. my coupon is coming in the mail
Meters are cheap. Most are about 20 bucks. It's the strips that will cost big time. If you have a good insurance plan then it's not too bad. And most docs won't prescribe enough strips, typically enough for one or two a day.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Which is why it's sometimes better to just go to Walmart, pick out a ReliOn Prime for $16, and the strips to match are $9 for a cylinder of 50 strips. Cheapest I've found.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Welcome Clair!

We have all been where you are. The shock of diagnosis (dx) and the lack of info given to us by our drs left us all shell shocked!

Your most important tool right now is a meter. WalMart has very inexpensive meters and most importantly strips. You are going to use a lot of strips at first so this may be a good option if your dr won't prescribe enough strips. In time you won't need so many but at first you'll be using as many as 10-12 a day.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the info you are going to get from the dietitian is not going to be helpful. S/he is going to tell you to eat way too many carbs that will lead to you needing more and more medication to cover. Please carefully read the How to lower your blood sugar section in BloodSugar101 before your appointment on Monday. Most all of us here have successfully lowered our bg by following a low carb/high fat diet. Read the diet doctor link you were given. Your dietitian will not recommend this because it is against the recommendations of the CDA/ADA. They are supported by big drug industries that look forward to all the money they want us to spend on their drugs.

We can very successfully control this disease it takes commitment and dedication but we can live a long, healthy and complication free life. Most drs don't see patients that want to take this control, so don't expect the successes that are possible.

Read, read and read some more here and on the links given and you can be the one in control!!

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
As others have said -- you need a meter and strips -- now.

Your Metformin dose may, indeed, need to be tweaked upward a time or few.

As for injections ... what you really need is Type testing.

-- If you're a Type 1, you will, indeed need insulin ... your doctor needs to know this, so s/he won't keep putting you off until a crisis hits. Moreover, you have an absolute right to a full and complete diagnosis.

-- If you're a Type 2, you may be able to avoid insulin altogether.

Either way, we can help you get control and avoid complications. (It's what we do for each other.)

To get started, please read the links provided above ... and ask lots of questions!

Reactions: macksvicky

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Welcome Clairbear!

Yes, even though they may sympathize and try to be supportive, unless they have experienced it, no one can understand how it feels when your whole world is pulled out from under you.

I am glad your Mom thinks you should get a meter right away. It shows she is really trying to understand. (And, I agree with her. Testing eat-to-your-meter style first thing in the morning - called fasting blood glucose - then just before and 1 & 2 hours after first bite, then just before bedtime tells each of us a huge amount about what we can eat and what foods our body's can no longer process correctly.

Food choices do get reduced, but oh my goodness, when we eat to keep our BG stable and below the danger zone, suddenly years of uneven energy and mood straighten out! When we give our bodies a steady, consistent source of energy all kinds of healthy things happen.

For many of us getting diagnosed was devastating. Oh golly, yes. But living with diabetes that we manage and control by eating right and - if we need them - taking appropriate, safe medications actually means we feel much better than we did before.

Please let us know what the dietician tells you.

Carbs (dessert, bread, potato, rice, starchy foods) turn into a runaway train of BG in diabetics. The dietician may tell you to eat so-many carbs with each meal.

By setting a healthy BG goal (many chose 140 mg/dl = 170 mmol/l) and testing how high our BG goes after eating, we learn how many carbs our body can really handle without going too high after eating.

Over the course of a day, I can eat about 30 grams of carbs...no more than 10 in any one meal. Over time I have tuned my eating so I stay below 115 mg/dl = 6.3 mmol/l at my highest post-meal BG level.

I know it sounds complicated. It is really empowering. It means we are not out of control. We just have to work a little harder to take control.

How old are you my friend? Big hug. It is going to be alright, different, but alright.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm not really sure what type of diabetes I have to be honest, I was so shocked that my brain just stopped everything. I don't really remember walking out of the doctors office either. Or that entire day..

I have a dietition appointment on monday and then another one on the 30th. I hope I can learn a lot from them.

My doctor started me on metmormin or something? She said I'm going to have to start off slow, and then eventually, we'll be going onto injections and stuff. She also said I don't need my meter yet?
Welcome to the forum:D I know this all can be very overwhelming at first but you have come to the right place for some truly wonderful people. I do have one suggestion that may help though. When you are with a doctor/dietitian or other healthcare professional, you may want to write down what kind and amount of medications they are prescribing, what kind of blood glucose numbers you have at testing/diagnosis. If uncertain, call your doctor to see what type of diabetes you are DX with.

Reactions: gotsomeold

·
Banned
563 Posts
Clair, how old are you? If you are under 18 can I suggest your mom sign up here, too, because the information we give here does of always agree with what a doctor or dietitian will tell you and if you are a minor you need your parent to help you evaluate what is right for you.

I highly suggest you read the book Blood Sugar 101, by Jenny Ruhl and your family should read that or Dr. Bernstein's Diabeties Solution so everyone has a good understanding of what most of us here feel is the best way to handle diabetes.

Your doctor's telling you that eventually you will progress to other medications already tells us that he and the dietitian are going to tell you to eat low fat, high carb. The good thing is that with a meter (and plenty of test strips) you'll be able to see for yourself what the recommended diet does to blood sugars. The goal is to keep your blood sugars as close to normal as possible, and you will see that carbohydrate foods make it go too high.

You have a wonderful opportunity to commit to being as healthy as possible but it will take some studying up outside of what the medical professionals say and a committment to a healthy real food diet.

We're here to help.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Clair! I see that you are from Canada, and WalMart isn't I believe, so maybe our Canadian members can advise you on how to get the strips as reasonably priced as possible. You'll need a good many in the beginning if you elect to take our path to treatment.

Good luck,

·
Registered
194 Posts
You found a great group of people here. There are other diabetes forums out there ,but not like this one. A little over a year ago I had one leg in the grave and and about to fall in. ac1 in the upper 10's and very high cholesterol . Today I have lost just over 80 lbs ,Ac1 5.9, and triglycerides of 109 with HDL of 88 :D

When these people give advice ,you can put it in the bank.

Wayne

·
Registered
837 Posts

Yes, you do need a meter now. The drug is metformin and please take the time to browse this forum. I hope you get a good dietician but even the best may have you eating too many carbohydrates.

The reason you need a meter now is that every body is different. While some can drink milk and not have a blood sugar rise, others can not. Some people can handle bread--not many, but a few--and others find it makes their blood sugar rise. You will be able to find out if you have a meter and take your readings 1 hour and then 2 hours after eating a particular meal. Keep a meal diary and note how you feel after eating a particular meal.

Most recommended diets are one size fits all. They don't when it comes to food for diabetics.

When it comes to vegetables--green is best. White is to be avoided, except for cauliflower. Wheat is questionable so watch out for breads, pasta, etc. Avoid fruit juice! Eat the fruit if you must but be careful as fruit has a way of raising blood sugar.

Over twenty years ago I was walking around like you. If I had used my meter as this forum advises, I would have better health now. My doctor then said to limit my carbohydrates to no more than 75 per day and urged me to eat closer to 60. He was right and isn't in the mainstream of medicine regarding his advice.

Always eat when you take metformin--helps the tummy. And finally,
drink water instead of soft drinks. And drink often. Many times what we mistake as hunger is actually thirst. Skip the snacks and drink; tell yourself to wait to eat later. Later will then come later and later.

In a way, this is an adventure. This forum will help you. Welcome.

Reactions: Patdart
1 - 20 of 22 Posts