The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am stuck on the waffle. I altered the recipe, even lower carb, better, in fact wonderful. My memmory may be fading of those waffles made with flour, but to be honest these seem better to me.

1 cup blanched Almonds, processed into flour
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil, I used refined no flavor
1/2 cup Splenda
pinch of salt
1/3 cup and a couple of tblsp more of Selzter water

I whipped the 2 eggs white until firm, set aside
In the food processor I blended the almonds until they were like flour, then added the egg, coconut oil, soda, powder, salt. Blended again, formed a hard dough. I then added the 1/3 cup of Selzter water, blended, then I added a few more tblsp to thin the batter to a pudding like consistancy. I added the batter to the whipped egg white and lightly stirred until mixed. These took a little longer to cook, 1.5 minutes per side.

We had these for dinner. This recipe made 8 3-1/2 inch waffles, 4 for me four for my wife. I covered them with cut Strawberrys, Blueberrys, and crushed Walnuts. I sprinkled everything with a couple of blue packets and pink packets, then piled on some home made whip cream. Dinner was served.

What a treat, waffles and fruit.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Dang! I've been planning the waffles for this weekend, but if you keep talkin', they might wind up being Easter dinner . . . forget the roast bird! :cool: I'm running low on almonds/almond flour . . . gotta get to town tomorrow or else.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will not not be sorry, these turned out great. My meter said to me, way to go.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I just read this thread aloud to my everlovin' husband here, and he's fully in favor of these waffles for Easter dinner (knowing the dead bird comes Monday, of course, sez he) :cool: Now if I can get hold of some almonds or almond flour!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Getting down to the nitty-gritty now, and I just realized there must be a different in our waffle irons, Marty. I see you talking about how many minutes on each side? My waffle iron closes with a second grid coming down on top of the batter, baking both sides at once. What kind of waffle iron do you have? Or do you just open the lid of yours out flat & use it for a second waffle - thus having to flip 'em to get the topside baked?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't think about that. I got a large square Belgium waffle iron that sits on the stove. The heat source for the waffle iron is the stove burner. It has a temp gauge on both sides. So I have to flip the whole thing over to heat the other side. Works well, takes up little room in the pantry.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just knew you would like a waffle recipe.

I just read this thread aloud to my everlovin' husband here, and he's fully in favor of these waffles for Easter dinner (knowing the dead bird comes Monday, of course, sez he) :cool: Now if I can get hold of some almonds or almond flour!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts