The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions if u are not middle class and are extremely poor and unable to afford an lchf diet and 100 percent insulin dependent ?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Okay. You have lots of choices, then.

EGGS.... these are cheap, full of nutrition, and excellent for LCHF eating.

Cream.... heavy whipping cream to put in your coffee

Mayonnaise (not "salad dressing, but the real thing") can be put on a lot of foods, mixed with canned tuna and hard-boiled eggs....

Cheap cuts of meat are usually the more fatty ones, so that's a benefit for LCHF

Chicken legs are less expensive than breast meat, and have more fat in them, so would be good LCHF meat (keep the skin on to take advantage of more fat).

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Okay. You have lots of choices, then.

EGGS.... these are cheap, full of nutrition, and excellent for LCHF eating.

Cream.... heavy whipping cream to put in your coffee

Mayonnaise (not "salad dressing, but the real thing") can be put on a lot of foods, mixed with canned tuna and hard-boiled eggs....

Cheap cuts of meat are usually the more fatty ones, so that's a benefit for LCHF

Chicken legs are less expensive than breast meat, and have more fat in them, so would be good LCHF meat (keep the skin on to take advantage of more fat).

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure others will have more suggestions.
Yup! And, if the gourmet "organic" heavy cream is too expensive, go to a restaurant supply store and get "Manufacturing Cream". It's only about $6 for a full HALF GALLON. Look for that or "heavy cream", not "heavy whipping cream" which isn't as good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Make the sacrifices where you can. Our grocery budget has certainly gone up since I've stopped eating cheap, carby foods, but my health has improved substantially. I'm thinking that a healthier lifestyle now will save me money down the road when I'm not suffering from all the horrible things that happen to uncontrolled diabetics, and when I'm no longer paying for things like insulin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Our grocery budget has dropped over the years of LCHF, because we don't need the volume of food we were eating before, and - forgive TMI - pooping out so much carby waste.

We watch for sales and we buy a lot when our regular staples are on sale. We buy frozen vegetables on sale, because fresh produce is expensive.

It requires a little planning . . . you can't just go to the store whenever you like and start picking things off the shelves, but if you're serious about this, you can certainly make a few plans and watch the sale bills, right?

Going by your standard, I prob'ly qualify for 'extremely poor' myself. We are senior citizens living on Social Security.

Put your mind to it, Theo. There's always the possibility of trading off other expensive purchases such and booze or cigarettes. It always amazes me to see people complain how poor they are, when they are still buying cigarettes. Not saying you're a smoker, and not chastising anyone else who smokes. Just saying that tobacco is expensive, so if you plead poverty but still buy smokes, then there's something wrong with the picture.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
What's wrong with heavy whipping cream??? I've been buying that thinking it had more fat in it.
Yes, more than everything else - except proper "heavy cream" which has even a little more. 6g per tablespoon vs. (at most) 5.5 for HWC or nearly 10% more.

Manufacturing cream has the heavy cream numbers, it just has a few other ingredients, usually carragenan and a few others.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Any suggestions if u are not middle class and are extremely poor and unable to afford an lchf diet and 100 percent insulin dependent ?
Necessity is the mother of invention.This should be your key to solving the difficulty. Dont forget that you live in a country with the greatest selection of very affordable food stuffs.

You may need to adjust your taste to whats available, but your first concern would be, I guess, to balance your BG values.

One final observation, the internet and insulin are not apart of the third world.Count your blessings.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If there is an Aldi near you and you haven't checked out their prices yet, you might want to do that. Around here, they have the most reasonable prices on fresh vegetables. Some of the other items I buy there are eggs and cream cheese. When the butter goes on sale there, I buy a bunch and freeze it.

·
Banned
164 Posts
It always amazes me to see people complain how poor they are, when they are still buying cigarettes. Not saying you're a smoker, and not chastising anyone else who smokes. Just saying that tobacco is expensive, so if you plead poverty but still buy smokes, then there's something wrong with the picture.
It amazes me when I see people buying food on food stamps but then purchasing alcohol and cigarettes as well then going out and getting into a new car. SMH

·
Registered
547 Posts
Folks, this thread has become unkind. There is no indication that the OP is doing what has been mentioned. He is wanting help to find affordable ways to eat LCHF. Hopefully we can help him with this.
Kind or unkind is a matter of opinion and has nothing to do with the real issue. Some very good and helpful suggestions and facts have been offered on this thread. Other than say that he eats anything and lives in the USA, ThirdworldTheo has been silent. Mostly, people looking for advice are very glad to receive and acknowledge such help. If questions are asked they should be answered, so that the exchange progresses to a clear understanding between the OP and the posters. One way streets dont lead to anything . So in my opinion "its over to you Leo".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks to everyone's input ! It's very helpful.
I'm grateful for any suggestions ! I don't smoke or drink I am completely sober and clean , for me drinking is completely a unnecessary idea considering it is mainly sugar and carbs and leads to irrisonsibility .
Thank u veejay , I appreciate your defense cuz I was just curious what people do , Philip Internet is at the public library I am grateful to be In the us where there are resources , believe u me I know we got it good .
There is no need for self righteous attitudes, I hope to form a diabetic group that is fully supportive and open hearted and minded for all types one day ,
I am poor but I am grateful for everything I am blessed with ! Even this diabetes , it might seem like a curse at times but my experiences with it will let me help another diabetic some day .
I have lived with type 1 diabetes for almost half my life and feel very healthy very happy and so I must be doin something right , the main thing I feel to be aware of is inflation of the body and the ego . If u think u got it figured out it can all change in an instant !!
Hope y'all enjoy the day today and treat each other well , blessing to you all

1 - 20 of 24 Posts