The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a few members of my family have type 2 diabetes. For a while now I have been waking up every morning completely starting. From the moment my eyes open the first thing I think about and do is eat. And I eat alot. Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day to the point where I'm full till tea time. I've found if I eat anything sugary for breakfast I get shaky before lunch. Wetabix seem to be the only cereal that stops lunchtime shakes and even hungryness. Today I woke up ravenous as normal ate a huge mixing bowl size of cinnamon graham's cereal and then at 12.30 I got really shaky sweaty, light headed. I have tested my bloods many times before and I knew it was the same feeling. My bloods were 3.3. I had my dinner ready but forced myself to check first as I knew it would be very good news. I have autism and adhd and I struggle immensely with impulse control but it's ridiculous in the mornings, it's like I'm starting, I've woke up hungry at like 4 am before and then realised and obviously just went back to sleep but it's the only time of the day where jts like this. I don't always get lunchtime shakes but does anyone experience any morning, animal style hunger? I've filled an econsult with my doctors but it takes abit and I wanted to ask. Is 3.3 very low or just low? I feel better after I've eaten but abit physically anxious and i feel like urgency if that makes sense bit jittery but not like I was.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Hello! Let me welcome you to our Web site!

There are mornings I wake up entirely ready to eat and sometimes even my usual breakfast still leaves me prowling the kitchen (largely in vain). But those mornings are rare. I've learned by trial and error that eating specific foods later at night before bedtime can help manage my nighttime blood glucose levels and eating fewer carbs does not keep me on the glucose rollercoaster.

Your breakfasts are quite heavy in carbohydrates; it could be that your body is encountering all that simple sugar and producing insulin to address it but is losing the ability to know when to stop. Your body may be becoming insulin resistant, and, with a history of Type 2 diabetes in the family, that's a yellow flag.

The Cinnamon Graham cereal contains about twice the carbohydrates as the Weetabix, and, apparently, it is from added sugar, not just the carbohydrates in the grains (and the milk you pour on the cereal). That may be why the Weetabix seems to treat you better. 3.3 is a very low measurement -- low enough that I would review your testing protocol. A 3.3 should almost leave you unable to physically test your blood glucose. But we can work on that aspect later.

So it seems you're eating a very carbohydrate-heavy breakfast without much protein or fat to slow down the absorption of all the sugar and then addressing the resulting feeling by eating ... what is a typical tea time and dinner for you? Do you eat anything shortly before you go to sleep? If so, what?

I think you're at an excellent point to review your trajectory -- and change it. We can help you with that, if you'd like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for all that information. I nearly couldn't test them. I just knew I had to. I was sat down and felt like I was going to pass out but I thought I'd never know If it was blood sugars. I had food ready as I tested them. My dad bought me a meal up. It all happened so fast I was just fortunate to have the machine close enough. It was a sudden feeling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to reply to all those points but still feel shaken up and jittery. My bloods are back up now because I've eaten but the whole thing left me feeling a funny feeling

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
I plan to reply to all those points but still feel shaken up and jittery. My bloods are back up now because I've eaten but the whole thing left me feeling a funny feeling
No worries -- time difference aside, we're around. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
Hello lpmains, welcome to the forum.

Until you get your consult, you may be interested in reading about reactive hypoglycemia. A preventative for it is a reduction of carbs and have smaller but more frequent meals. You might want to ditch the cereal for something like bacon and eggs. More fats and protein will leave you feeling less empty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello lpmains, welcome to the forum.

Until you get your consult, you may be interested in reading about reactive hypoglycemia. A preventative for it is a reduction of carbs and have smaller but more frequent meals. You might want to ditch the cereal for something like bacon and eggs. More fats and protein will leave you feeling less empty.
Thank you. I am a very picky eater but its becoming more and more clear I'm just gonna have to broaden up abit. I've a horrible headache and was really tearful all afternoon. No idea what's going on with me. Might have just knocked me abit but I was an emotional rollarcoaster.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Diabetes (or metabolic syndrome, which often precedes it) affects many systems in the body because the hormones it works with affect many systems in the body. I also know from my father's experience as a diabetic that going low can take a lot out of you for quite a while.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I used to get rebound hypos years ago. A friend who was also a diabetes educator explained the process to me and I began changing my diet. It was not easy. I still struggle with it, but now I know what I’m doing whereas before, I did not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts