The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've been low carbing for nearly two months now, since immediately after Dx. I did start out being 230lbs (6 ft tall), and now am around 215. My BGs stay between 95 and 125 all day, before, during and after meals.

However, since the past couple of weeks I have started noticing a distinct gain in muscle mass basically all over my body. My arms, shoulder and legs seem to show not just less fat, but an increase in muscle mass and definition - like I would have when I would hit the gym for a couple of weeks in my previous life. I know its not just fat loss because the measurements of these parts have started going back up, while still retaining their leaner definition.

While this seems to be good, I was wondering if this is a symptom of something else that isn't so good! I am on an 1800-2000 calorie (30 carbs, 120-140 grams each of protein and fat ) diet.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks!

S.

G

·
is it the steroids in the chicken perhaps? lol. just joking of course... but then I really don't know if that's possible? It could have to do with your calorie intake and the amount of protein you're eating too. Body builders tend to eat loads of protein. I used to go to a gym full of body builders and my personal trainer was a body builder and he reckons he'd eat 5000+ calories every day to maintain his muscle mass (I just thought he was crazy as I was there to lose weight). I don't see him anymore though... so not sure if that's changed... but he did say that's what they all aim for.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yup happened to me too. At first I thought it was just muscle showing through as the fat dissolved and I'm sure there is an element of that, but now I am convinced it is my body establishing an happier natural balance.

Look at our cousin the Gorilla -- the silverback male is a mass of muscle ... they could literally rip a human limb from limb if they were not gentle herbivores, and yet they spend much of the day in idle repose... no strength training at the gym involved.

I doubt that one can look like Aaaarnold without a strict body-building regime but then I don't think the body-builder look is a human's natural physique.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have been low carbing for about 4 years, now. I do have a different body now . I just assumed as you got older you lost muscle mass and got fatter. Now I am more toned than I was in college 40 years. I do think the diet many of us eat helps sustain muscle. Before diabetes I hit the gym at least a couple of hours a day, but I ate a higher complex carb diet, so I still had layers of fat on. Now with the lower carb diet I exercise a lot less intensely ( mostly walking) and weight a lot less with more muscle.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well it's not been my experience so far. I feel like my mus cle mass is being eaten away. Only been diagnosed for 5 months but I have dropped from 185 to 170 and would have to say I have lost muscle mass and it's a concern of mine. Have been ensuring to have protein with every meal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well it's not been my experience so far. I feel like my mus cle mass is being eaten away. Only been diagnosed for 5 months but I have dropped from 185 to 170 and would have to say I have lost muscle mass and it's a concern of mine. Have been ensuring to have protein with every meal.
Are you eating plenty of natural fats?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I eat nuts like they are the main course. I can live on nuts. Do have to watch some of my fat intake as I don't want to irritate my pancreatitis - just so you know I never had a drinking problem or over drank plus I have not touched alcohol in over 5 years. Never want to have another one of those attacks as death starts to become an option when dealing with the pain. Been lucky the last couple of months as I have not had any pain lately associated with it so I must be doing something right plus no heartburn and have been off Losec entirely for several months. Did have a bought the other day after eating dry ribs and after eating these turkey fingers which were worse than dog food. For gaining muscle mass not sure how one does that without exercise and lifting weights. I personally think it's a false impression you get when you lose fat off you muscles or maybe the fact you have started to exercise and your muscles are getting toned. I was never fat at 6'1.5" and 185 and now at 170 I can certify that I gained no muscle. I am definitely more toned and muscles are harder but it's from walking stairs and exercise. There is no benefit from having diabetes other than you might get into better shape.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
By chance are you on a statin drug? I had lots of muscle until I went on a statin drug and had a bad reaction. It ate away my muscles. After almost a year off of it, I have finally regained my muscle on a lower carb organic diet with lots of fat. Also are you exercising. It is important as you lose weight that you exercise the different muscle groups.

·
Registered
716 Posts
jwags said:
By chance are you on a statin drug? I had lots of muscle until I went on a statin drug and had a bad reaction. It ate away my muscles. After almost a year off of it, I have finally regained my muscle on a lower carb organic diet with lots of fat. Also are you exercising. It is important as you lose weight that you exercise the different muscle groups.
Just on Metformin 750 mg per day. Must say I am not exercising all of my muscle groups. Mostly legs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts