The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally had insurance when open enrollment came around at my husbands work and they informed us that our rates were going to go up to about 150.00 a paycheck (might not sound like much but with 3 kids and me not working its a rough go) So we had to switch over to Kaiser.....i am greatly disliking this company....i lost all my doctors. So now i had to go into a PCP yesterday to get my perceptions refilled and they don't have humalog............so he wrote me a perception for something i have never taken before.....Novalog 70/30 and sent me home with it with no instructions. :eek: really????? and he referred me to a endocrinologist......sweet so i'm taking insulin that i have never taken before and have no one to talk to......awesome.

On the plus side the last time i got my A1c done i was down to 7.1 YAY ME! haha waiting to find out what it is now just got blood work done today.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your insurance issues - but relieved at least you have it. I know nothing about insulin, but do know the sooner you get into the endo the better. When is your appt? That is =outrageous= (and far too typical) that your doc let you out the door like that w/out any instruction - infuriating.

When's your endo appt?

So glad you came by. We're loaded with smart insulin users, and T1s, as you know - and so you do have people to talk to at least!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PHP:
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your insurance issues - but relieved at least you have it. I know nothing about insulin, but do know the sooner you get into the endo the better. When is your appt? That is =outrageous= (and far too typical) that your doc let you out the door like that w/out any instruction - infuriating.

When's your endo appt?

So glad you came by. We're loaded with smart insulin users, and T1s, as you know - and so you do have people to talk to at least!
I have no clue they are supposed to call me to make the appt and i haven't heard anything

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PHP:
I have no clue they are supposed to call me to make the appt and i haven't heard anything
Oh and even better he said "you might have to change it around a little using the sliding scale" okay i'm not stupid but i'm not the expert by any means.......yeah thats what i really want to be doing.......screwing around with a insulin i've never used......"there all the same" is what he told me......dumb ass:fish:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
You may be able to call the doc (which could involve waiting for a return call, but it works fairly well up here in the Bay Area), and/or set up e-mail on their web system.

Of course, you can also change the doc at any time. Kaiser has some silly protocols across the board, but docs do vary in quality.

I would also ask for a Diabetes Educator. This is an RN/nurse-practitioner who specializes in diabetes. Educators can both advise on doses and get prescriptions changed. (Diet, not so much.)

There should also be classes available, but it may be months between classes. I preferred going straight to my Educator, anyway.

The Pharmacy may also be your friend -- if you're picking up new meds at the time. Once, we had to get a refill for my husband, and the refill required a consultation from the staff pharmacist. We had a long wait, because the staff pharmacist had to teach a new diabetic everything about their meter and meds. Fortunately, not all docs are so cavalier.

But ... I've learned to speak up and ask about anything beyond bare basics. Which means I need to know what questions to ask. Those I learned on this Forum.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It sounds like it is one of those Mixed Insulins ( basal and bolus) . I can't believe they didn't give you any instructions. I hate insurance companies too. Our premiums went up almost $ 200 per month to $1200 per month. I had to call Anthem to see how I could lower the premiums. I was able to do it and we did lower them by almost half but we had to raise our deductible to $11,000 per year. So basically we only have insurance for catastrophic events. When my kids were little we had Kaiser in Virginia and it took me awhile to figure out how to get around all their rules and regulations. I hated the Nurse Advice Line because you were on there for hours trying to make an appointment for a sick child. But their rates were cheap.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I worked for Kaiser here in Ohio. It was hit or miss with the care we received. Routine check-ups and for things like the flu or a cold...they are okay. But for anything serious they suck. Sorry, just my opinion. Oh, I did have some really great OB/GYN's when I was pregnant, but it was a crap shoot when you went in to deliver because whoever was on that night delivered...not the doctor you were seeing through the whole pregnancy. I hated that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worked for Kaiser here in Ohio. It was hit or miss with the care we received. Routine check-ups and for things like the flu or a cold...they are okay. But for anything serious they suck. Sorry, just my opinion. Oh, I did have some really great OB/GYN's when I was pregnant, but it was a crap shoot when you went in to deliver because whoever was on that night delivered...not the doctor you were seeing through the whole pregnancy. I hated that.
thanks for the insight considering my husband and i have talked about having a baby!!! Good to know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts