The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing this for a while, and after wading through all the complicated [and conflicting] data on monitoring carbs, my doc said to forget it.

He wants me to eat low GI foods and I began last week. It is much simpler than trying add "X number of carbs per meal/per day."

Too soon to tell, but my peaks have been reduced.

Anyone shop and eat using GI lists and forget the carbs?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find the GI Index very confusing. Most of the foods on the list even in the low range have a lot of carbs. Unless it has a GI under 2 or 3, I just can't eat it. I don't count carbs specifically at each meal either. What I have found works, is Eating to my meter. That means when I eat a new food I check at 2 hours, I have specific bg goals of no higher than 110-115 at 2 hours. So if I test higher I know that is not a good food or me. The GI Index was tested on normal, non diabetics. So their response to these carbs may be different than ours. If it works for you, great. Also you need to take into account the GI Load, which is a forumula you need to figure out. Too much math for me.

Reactions: Madea

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find the GI Index very confusing. (snip) Also you need to take into account the GI Load, which is a forumula you need to figure out. Too much math for me.
I find counting carbs to be confusing, not the totals, but whether they are simple or complex or whatever.

I agree on the GI Load. Too confusing, but to me, it's no worse that those carb tables where you trade this carb value for that one. I never did figure it out.

As I understand it, the low GI means it hits your system slowly rather than a hit, even if the carb count is high.

Of course, I have a selfish reason for staying with the GI method a while---it lets' me eat things that max carb counter would not,

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
As I understand it, the low GI means it hits your system slowly rather than a hit, even if the carb count is high.

Of course, I have a selfish reason for staying with the GI method a while---it lets' me eat things that max carb counter would not,
First, remember the GI is slightly faulty when it comes to diabetics... the GI is based on how foods react with NORMAL individuals, NOT with diabetic persons. The truth is that certain foods listed as Low-GI will spike a diabetic person, PERIOD. Foods like pizza, pasta, etc.

Second, the GI is based on 2hour post-prandial readings. Many things such as pasta, pizza, etc. do not spike an individual for 3, 4 or even 5 hours.

Eating low GI sounds great until you get a spike that you weren't expecting and don't measure for and might not even know happened, and then you wonder why your A1c isn't going down . . .

Also, if you're eating things based on GI that you couldn't eat while carb counting, you probably shouldn't be eating them.

Pizza is a great example, it's listed as low-GI, yet there's not many people that don't get a high spike from a white bread crust ... eventually.

Reactions: foxl and carbo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, remember the GI is slightly faulty when it comes to diabetics... the GI is based on how foods react with NORMAL individuals, NOT with diabetic persons. . . .snip...Pizza is a great example, it's listed as low-GI, yet there's not many people that don't get a high spike from a white bread crust ... eventually.
Good info, thanks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many of us don't use exchanges anymore. I think when you eat to your meter you find out what safe foods are. So as long as you are eating safe foods you are fine. For example last night I made a batch of blueberry/flaxseed muffins. I ate one for breakfast with cream cheese. I don't need to figure out the carb count because I know it keeps me in the 90-100 range after I eat it. I do the same things with most veggies. I know a normal portion won't spike me. I keep most meals to 3-4 oz of protein, 20 grams of fat and a low carb item, usually veggies or my homemade treats. If I ever get a 2 hour bg over 120 I know I ate something wrong, so find out what I did differently. I find this approach best because it is suited to my diabetes. We are all different and can tolerate different foods. The problem with a list like the GI list it assumes we all process food the same way. When I was first dx'd I bought the entire GI book. I couldn't believe all the different values of foods depending on the manufacturer or country of origin. Plus it has some foods like M &M's and ice cream as low GI foods and some veggies as high GI foods.

G

·
well I eat carbs and I don't count them... I just have small portions. I eat low GI options too over high GI. So yeah I guess I pretty much use the Glycemic Index as my guide. I do notice a big difference if I eat high GI (eg. potatoes) as I spike and crash quick. I eat porridge every morning and it seems to be fine with my BGLs. Everyone is different with their diets... do what's best for you. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... I eat porridge every morning and it seems to be fine with my BGLs. Everyone is different with their diets... do what's best for you. :D
Exactly, everyone is different. This is why eating to the meter is the best option. The GI index can be used as a guide for what you can TRY to eat, but isn't the 'bible' that some treat it as.

Carb-counting needs to be done in some cases, especially for those that bolus insulin.

For those of us that don't do insulin (yet), the best option is eating to our meters - meaning test before the meal, then 1hr and 2hrs after the meal (possibly more if it's a slow-digesting item) and watch for spikes. If you spike from the food, then don't eat it. (Or try eating less of it...)

G

·
I'm on bolus insulin myself and my endo has me on a sliding scale... eg. I don't count carbs. He's already discussed my portions and everything like that with me, and wants me on certain units dosage at certain parts of the day. So I still think it's a case of do what is best for you... I wouldn't think everyone else who is diabetic could eat stuff I eat and vice versa. Eg. I have trouble with cholesterol when I eat more fat.... so I don't. Others here are fine with it. I don't believe there is any right or wrong answer when it comes to food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts