Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Moderators will use this thread to save and bookmark useful links that have been posted by members - which may get pushed down the forum and lost.

It will be a closed thread to ensure we don't send out the wrong message to people who just want to register to spam links on the site.

If you like a link in the wider forum and then please click the "Like" link on the post and we will try and pick up the best ones and copy them into here.
Regards
Bob

·
Registered
558 Posts
Affordable test strips

I have been purchasing my test strips out of pocket since dx, and have shopped Ebay mostly. The past several months I seem to be getting them from the same seller because the prices are always best. My local pharmacy sells my One-touch Ultra blue strips for $27 for a pack of 25. I get them from this seller usually for about $100 for 200 (4 packs of 50). On Ebay he lists the expiry dates for each box, even with a group listing. I have never had a single problem. The past few times the seller has slipped a business card into the box and I wanted to share with others here who are buying out of pocket. The website is:

Affordable Diabetic Test Strips

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Diabetes care in hospital or nursing home facilities

Jenny Ruhl addresses the issue here on her blog.

Thanks for the reminder - I've meant to get a letter in my file, and a copy in my possession, but have drug my feet.

Reactions: hitcheca

·
Registered
221 Posts
Links from the ADA type 1 message board American Diabetes Association - Prescription Assistance Programs, includes test strips, insulin, lancets, and pump supplie... - American Diabetes Association Community

Here is the link for people with type 2. I suspect there will be some overlap but wanted to post both just to be sure everyone is covered.
American Diabetes Association - Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance - American Diabetes Association Community

Also one can get NPH and Regular insulin at Walmart for a low cost and also if one is strapped for cash there are ways to get meters and strips for low cost as well.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Eat To Your Meter

Technique for eating to your meter:

• Establish your target range for blood sugar levels. Common upper limit is 140mg/dl = 7.8mmol/l. Commit to keeping your blood sugar under this level at all times. As you gain better control, you may want to lower this limit by several points.
  • Test right before eating. Log the reading.
  • Test again one hour after your first bite, and log the reading along with what and how much you ate. This is assumed to be about the highest peak - the spike - from the meal.
  • Test a third time two hours after your first bite. This is hoped to show your blood sugar dropping back to roughly what it was before the meal. If it is, you're showing a good second phase insulin response. If it is not, you should continue testing until you find your blood sugar beginning to drop.
Analyzing these readings along with the foods you've eaten enables you to see which foods have the worst effect on your blood sugar, so you can avoid consuming them in the future.

It's fair to give each meal a second chance, in case there could be an outside influence on the elevated reading, but after two or three experiments, it is wise to avoid or sharply restrict the foods which drastically spike your blood sugar. After several weeks of extensive testing this way, you'll have compiled a personalized list of foods you can eat safely, for the most part. Not saying things don't change, and foods which were safe at one time could become troublesome later, but in the general scheme of things, eating to your meter is an excellent way to hold diabetes in check.

This can also be used to test individual foods such as fruits and things you suspect are going to spike you, but you'd like to know if perhaps you can eat small amounts.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
LDL Cholesterol Calculator

Congrats on such a stellar A1c! :)

The standard calculation for LDL is not accurate when your triglycerides are low. Try this calculator and it will tell your your LDL using the standard equation and the one for people with low triglycerides. I just ran your numbers and it came out to 143 using the alternate equation.

That said I agree with Shanny that your LDL isn't as important as your doctor makes it out to be. As I understand the recent developments in cholesterol research, your HDL, Triglycerides and their ratios are much more important. Also I like to keep in mind that the people who have regularly lowered the "good" range for cholesterol are the drug companies. Originally the ranges for total cholesterol were much higher. If you look at the cholesterol ranges of other (healthy) countries, a total of 243 would not be out of place.

My conclusion from all that I have read is that really out of standard range lipid numbers can be a sign that you should look into your health more (e.g. high triglycerides may indicate high insulin resistance, very low HDL could indicate other potential issues, etc) but they don't predict heart attacks, low cholesterol doesn't prevent heart attacks or reduce overall mortality. So letting a doctor terrorize you with "soft" numbers is a recipe for unwarranted stress.

Stay strong, remember that a doctor is a consultant. They don't get to dictate what you do, how you should live your life and they don't know all the answers. You pay them to help you achieve YOUR goals. If they aren't willing to work with you, fire them. :) Focus on what makes you feel healthy, gives you the energy and health to live the life you deserve and ignore people who put numbers ahead of your quality of life.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Calculating Estimated Energy Requirement

measuring my weight and bmi it came to 1400
The BMI itself is weight-centric, so why would you use it (weight) twice to calculate your EER (estimated energy requirement). Nutritionists have a formula to calculate the EER. Personally I think it is a lot of assumptive science & I don't prescribe to it. You can learn more here.

Based upon the BMR (basal metabolic rate) the body requires around 1600 calories in a day just doing nothing. Again this is assumptive, but seriously 1400 is low. Do give HF/LC a try as others have suggested, and forget these formulas.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Scientific resources for LC

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable , by Stephen D. Phinney and Jeff S. Volek

Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets, by Jenny Ruhl

Studies Proving The Safety and Efficacy of the Low Carb Diet

Reactions: hitcheca

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Online Laboratory

Navigating diabetes is simple compared to navigating docs - infuriating!

DirectLabs

MyMedLab

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Providing links with copy/paste text

For everyone who needs to provide a link to the text they wish to copy/paste, the procedure is this:

1. Place your cursor on the text in the location box at the top of the screen
  2. Left-click to highlight that text
  3. Then right-click on the high-lighted text and a drop-down menu will appear
  4. Take the 'copy' option from the drop-down menu and you will have captured the link needed to accompany the copy/paste text.
  5. Place your cursor wherever you intend to copy/paste the text
  6. Right-click again and take the 'paste' option from the drop-down menu
  7. We encourage you use a very short blurb of copy/paste text - like one paragraph - and rely on the link for people who wish to read more on the subject.
  8. This is a very important issue in using text from other websites, so please everyone, learn how to capture the links and include them in your posts
Another thing I might add - posting messages from other forums is pushing the envelope just a bit, so be really careful about bringing stuff here from competing forums.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
How to post a photo

The best way to post a photo is as a thumbnail so to be kind to system resources. Here's how:

When in post-writing mode, scroll down and under “Additional Options” you’ll find the ‘Manage Attachments’ bar under ‘Attach Files’

Click on that, and then you can choose a file to upload from your computer, or you can ‘Upload File from a URL’ - click ‘Upload’ after entering the file or URL – and close the window. You can then ‘Preview Post’ and you’ll see it there as a thumbnail.

Reactions: Shalynne and Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
As Mary said, the Glycaemic Index is virtually worthless from our point of view. Have a look at this - Is the Glycemic Index a Scam?

The only figure that matters from our point of view is the total carbohydrate - that's what we have to process. The low GI items just hit us more slowly that the High GI items that contain the same total carbohydrate content.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.