The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new endo prescribed Metformin ER two weeks ago. His instructions were to take two 500 mg pills on on empty stomach. I'm already seeing lower numbers! I took this med two years ago but that doc told me to take one pill twice a day with meals. I was on the med for four months with no change in my numbers. I was starting to doubt if this med would work for me. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sure glad it's working for you now, MM. I wonder if the meal or no-meal thing is for people who have gastric side effects. It doesn't bother me, altho' I had a few days of "distress" in the very beginning. I just take it when I take it - I may have food on my stomach or not - either way it doesn't bother me. But if it doesn't seem to be working, folks sure need to tinker with it a little - sometimes something you think wouldn't matter is what matters most.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It didn't work for me either. I was told to take with food 3 times a day. I am now using it with glyburide which seems to be working

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Metformin affects us differently. I was initially told to take it with meals too. I now take it 3 times a day, never at meals and find it works a lot better. Metformin works different than other drugs. It does not help you produce extra insulin but rather works in the liver to limit the Glycogen conversion into glucose.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My new endo prescribed Metformin ER two weeks ago. His instructions were to take two 500 mg pills on on empty stomach. I'm already seeing lower numbers! I took this med two years ago but that doc told me to take one pill twice a day with meals. I was on the med for four months with no change in my numbers. I was starting to doubt if this med would work for me. :)
I will try this also. As of now, I am taking it with meals but not supposed to be working however i just started to take it 4 days back only.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I will try this also. As of now, I am taking it with meals but not supposed to be working however i just started to take it 4 days back only.

Metformin does not kick in right away. It builds up slowly in your system and has a cumulative effect. Many find it could take several weeks to several months to work effectively.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
manunamdev1 said:
I wish I was a member of this forum two years ago and someone would have told me to try taking it on an empty stomach! My numbers are consistently in the 90's now, all day long. Amazing! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My new endo prescribed Metformin ER two weeks ago. His instructions were to take two 500 mg pills on on empty stomach.
I was told to take it with my meals, to reduce the nausea i think, but i dont seem to have that, just burping a lot, maybe i will try without food. I have no idea if its working yet (day 5, no glucose monitor yet!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts