The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering with this for awhile and need some real advice I started itching all over also I have been taking metorformin I dont know if I spell it right but I really do need some advice it is driving me crazy

·
Registered
370 Posts
"If you know that it is a yeast infection, buy Monistat Cream;

If you Think that it is a yeast infection, see your doctor.

PROBLEM: I itch … down there.
Most women at some point will experience a vaginal yeast infection. Women with diabetes, however, are much more likely to get annoying and painful infections with the candida yeast. Since candida basically feeds off glucose, it’s easy to see why diabetes is a risk factor. Not sure if you have a yeast infection? Look for a white, cottage cheese–like discharge, itchiness, and a foul odor. Over-the-counter medications for treating yeast infections abound, but Carolyn Alexander, MD, a gynecologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, suggests visiting your doctor instead of self-treating. To prevent yeast infections, maintain good blood glucose control, skip scented soaps, avoid douches, and keep your vaginal area dry by wearing cotton underwear and avoiding tightly fitted pants.

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazi...ng-body-problems-you-need-know-about?page=0,1

Reactions: Yakfishingfool

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have been suffering with this for awhile and need some real advice I started itching all over also I have been taking metorformin I dont know if I spell it right but I really do need some advice it is driving me crazy
InsulationTim gave you great advice. I suffered for over 1-1/2 yrs with a systemic yeast infection that I kept treating as a yeast infection. I even went to the gyno several times and they couldn't knock it out. I finally went to a somewhat holistic doctor who prescribed a 3-month regime of Diflucan. It finally kicked it out of my system. However, keep in mind that if your blood sugar has been out of control that is why you cannot rid yourself of this infection. Try taking a strong probiotic, eat active yogurt, keep yourself extremely clean and dry down there, and drink lots of green tea. Avoid all sugar if you can (especially carby foods that are pure starch and turn into pure sugar in your system). I know this is difficult but I've been where you are and I know how miserable it can be.
Keep us posted. Good Luck. Oh, by the way, don't try all the over the counter stuff or home remedies. Big waste of money and doesn't do anything.

Reactions: Yakfishingfool

·
Registered
370 Posts
InsulationTim gave you great advice. I suffered for over 1-1/2 yrs with a systemic yeast infection that I kept treating as a yeast infection. I even went to the gyno several times and they couldn't knock it out. I finally went to a somewhat holistic doctor who prescribed a 3-month regime of Diflucan. It finally kicked it out of my system. However, keep in mind that if your blood sugar has been out of control that is why you cannot rid yourself of this infection. Try taking a strong probiotic, eat active yogurt, keep yourself extremely clean and dry down there, and drink lots of green tea. Avoid all sugar if you can (especially carby foods that are pure starch and turn into pure sugar in your system). I know this is difficult but I've been where you are and I know how miserable it can be.
Keep us posted. Good Luck. Oh, by the way, don't try all the over the counter stuff or home remedies. Big waste of money and doesn't do anything.
Back in the dark ages when I was a Pharmacist I told all my female customers suffering with this complaint to eat Yogurt with LIVE ACTIVE Bacteria. As I recall, Dannon fit the bill. Also, there is a product called Activa which contains the live bacteria.

Active yogurt also helps if you are taking a Broad Spectrum Antibiotic and have diarrhea. The antibiotic has killed off all of the "good" bacteria in your gut. The yogurt reseeds it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I suffered from the same itchy problem around the same time as my diagnosis. Thankfully since getting my sugars under control it hasn't been a problem since

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Before I was Dxed I had a MRSA infection on my leg that required 3-4 sets of antibiotics to clear. Needless to say I had a yeast infection covering my entire body, and in places no man wants a yeast infection. The most painful was in my ears, never thought my ears could be so inspiring.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Yeast infections are very common with diabetics. The best way to get rid of them is to control your BG. Or else they keep nagging you time and again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the male equivalent when my sugars were high for extended times. It was horrible and embarrassing (I passed a yeast infection onto my wife, non diabetic). I thought it was a hygenic issue so was meticulous and it didn't really make a difference. Once my sugars were under control, it went away.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I second the eating yogurt, you can also get probiotics in pill form.

Doctors can also prescribe a one-dose pill to treat it, so I wouldn't be afraid of going to the doc!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeast infection can be managed effectively by frequent cleaning with hot water and treating it with turmeric water (turmeric dissolved in water), because turmeric is an effective antiseptic and can fight against yeast infection and provide relief.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Back in the dark ages when I was a Pharmacist I told all my female customers suffering with this complaint to eat Yogurt with LIVE ACTIVE Bacteria. As I recall, Dannon fit the bill. Also, there is a product called Activa which contains the live bacteria.

Active yogurt also helps if you are taking a Broad Spectrum Antibiotic and have diarrhea. The antibiotic has killed off all of the "good" bacteria in your gut. The yogurt reseeds it.
Glad to hear you were a Pharmacist...I was starting to wonder why you being a male knew so much about that problem...LOL.

Reactions: Patdart and Shanny

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had this problem for over a year now, but when I go to drs. they say its NOT a yeast infection, even thow my BG numbers are grossly high and even now that I am working my butt off and no longer sitting on my couch all day being depressed about my conditions" ,,,, but the drs say I have a BV , bacterial Infections ... and every mth they come back !! only thing that makes it go away is the metrogel, that is really HARD to get a script for.. So I am fighting them alone, I go back to the doc on monday at 3pm , So hopefully I will get meds. I wish they would just BELIVE me, and write the dang thing !!! I hate the exams , but I know this HAS to go away !! MY numbers have finally been staying in the 200's now, better then he 300 where I was ... And I even seen it go down to 157 which is super low for me I have been runniing non stop not eating , I KNOW !! Not good, but for some reason it looks good on my meter ?? I hope I can find some foods quick to take with me to be able to eat somthing at least once per day !! I LOVE my fruit ( berry ) smoothie, I havent had numbers low enough to test to the meter I will start ckin now that it is looking better .. I PRAY the BGs go down, and this GOES AWAY !!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I havent had numbers low enough to test to the meter I will start ckin now that it is looking better ..
Unless your numbers are high enough that they won't record on your meter (in which case, going to the ER to get them down is a good idea), then you can always test to your meter. A spike is a spike, whether it's going from up from 100 to 150 or 300 to 350 - you can still gauge what a food/meal is doing.

The best way to bring numbers down is to test, and then use the information.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Stars/Sun/Moon...I was looking at your post about the vaginal yeast infection, and I think I've said before that I suffered with this for over a year. Was going to doctor every 2-3 weeks and nothing was knocking it out. This is when my blood sugar was out of control as well. I tried prescription meds, creams, yogurt, and every holistic and natural method I could find. Nothing was working. Finally a holistic doctor I had gone to said I had systemic candida and put me on a course of Diflucan for 3 months. That finally knocked it out of my system (Thank goodness). I have not had this reoccur since getting bg's in a better range. You must get rid of carbs and sugar because these feed the infection. Candida breeds on high sugar, so it is a must to get rid of all in your diet until you get the infection gone.

Also, I noticed in your signature that you are using both Levemir and Humalog. I use these same insulins as well, and I can tell you what I've learned from reading "Think Like a Pancreas" that your basal insulin (Levemir) should be the greatest level you use. Your Humalog, or bolus insulin, should be the least you use. Therefore the 15-20 units you are using for meals of the Humalog is too much. I was doing that as well and began gaining way too much weight and bg's began going up again. I now use 35 units of Levemir in the AM, and 30 units at bedtime. I use probably no more than 8-10 units of Humalog for each meal, and if my number is in good range and I know I'm not going to eat many carbs, I have not had to bolus for say lunch. The highest amount of Humalog I use is probably in the morning at breakfast to correct a higher number from dawn phenomenon, and then for lunch (if I have to use) only like 3-4 units and dinner usually less than 5 units. It has made a huge difference.

Please check this book from the library and read it. The Author is Gary Scheiner and he is a Type 1 diabetic, and discusses use of insulin extremely well and very easy to understand.

Hope things get better. I know how uncomfortable and frustrating it can be. Been there, done that.

·
Banned
11 Posts
You need to identify reason for this first, I can guess followings

vulvar dermatitis, caused due to chemical allergens found in laundry detergent, feminine wash, ointments and contraceptive substances

This could be yeast infection caused due to birth control pills & menstruation

I could suggest you following tips

Avoid harsh soaps and scented shower gels that may cause dryness and then irritation

You can use sitz bath to stop vaginal infection and irritation

Choose cotton fabric to let skin breath easily

Yogurt along mixed with apple cider vinegar and water can be dabbed on affected area, for your information yogurt has very strong capability to kill feminine itching bacteria or yeast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts