The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to do Wilton-type cake decorating, and would buy glycerine at the drug store, used to keep the frosting colors soft, so I know it is 'supposed to be' safe to eat.

I heard that glycerine can be used to keep ice cream soft in sugar free recipes (usually 4 teaspoons per 3 cups of cream). I understand it has about 12 to 15 carbs per tablespoon, but I have read that the carbs in glycerine has no impact on blood sugar. Is glycerine unhealthy or whatever, and does anyone ever use it, and did it impact your bg?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
While glycerine tastes sweet (and kind of burns or stings), it is actually a fat-soluble alcohol that, when esterified (or OMG is it etherized? My 1970s organic chemistry fails me!), with 3 fatty acid molecules, forms triglycerides.

It should not spike you at all!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While glycerine tastes sweet (and kind of burns or stings), it is actually a fat-soluble alcohol that, when esterified (or OMG is it etherized? My 1970s organic chemistry fails me!), with 3 fatty acid molecules, forms triglycerides.

It should not spike you at all!
Thanks for the info. I'll try it in ice cream to see if it does keep it soft, and will do a little investigating to see what else it is used for in cooking.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
All my homemade ice cream comes out hard too. I'll have to try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts