The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making a post to vent a bit.
Saw the neurologist today to get a baseline of how well my hands and feet are nerve-wise. Turns out I'm farther down the neuropathy path than I thought. I've had some issues from chemo 25 years ago, but even before he will have the final results he said (and I saw it too) I have major loss of feeling and reflexes in some places. 2 yrs ago I passed the diabetes blood test (don't know the numbers, just that he said I passed). 6 months ago I failed. I didn't think neuropathy would be here so soon, but I'm reading now that nerve damage often starts when you slowly become insulin resistant... which means it started who knows how long ago. I get the final results in a few weeks, but from his general feedback and the fact that he had to up the current 6-7 times on some of the tests it's pretty clear there's a lot of damage.

I was used to extreme cold sensitivity and less feeling in my hands and feet for the last 20 years, but apparently it has advanced slowly enough I didn't notice how worse it has gotten. I'm 45 but thought I wouldn't be facing this for at least another decade.

Looks like the road just got shorter.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Sorry to hear that Surfer. It's not fun when we're hit with complications - they're real, and they're not nice. Hopefully you can slow/stop the progression with good control.

You say you're 'farther down the neuropathy path I thought' which implies a fixed path, fixed speed, and from what I read, that's not necessarily the case. It's surely a wake-up call to you and everyone reading your post that this diabetes thing is serious business, and that we all need to pay attention.

We can't change the damage that has been done, I know how you feel on that score, but we can absolutely mitigate what could happen in the future.

Here's to doing our damnedest!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
this line bothers me

"2 yrs ago I passed the diabetes blood test (don't know the numbers, just that he said I passed)"

HE saying you "passed" could have meant your a1c was 6.9 because for some reason, most of the medical community thinks that anything under 7.0 is "ok"

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm not sure what "passing the Diabetes Test" means, either. Many of us have had neuropathy, pre diabetes which disappeared when we lowered our bgs and HbA1c's. On the other hand my Dad's doctor recomended my dad keep bgs higher and HbA1c in the low 7's. Within 2 years of diabetes, using Januvia he has significant neuropathy in both feet, which is impacting his ability to walk. Also what is your daily diet like and what are your daily bg goals?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think sometimes we may have been experiencing high bgs for quite awhile before we are dx'd. This is why some of us have neuropathy upon diagnosis. But most of it does disappear if you are strict with your diet , meds and exercise. Also be aware other things besides diabetes may be responsible for your neuropathy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As requested, a little more info.

The question I asked my doc in 2009 was "am I diabetic?" and he said "no". I didn't know enough to ask for a1c or BG levels back then, I saw it as a black & white line that I had avoided crossing.

I know a lot more now. I've been on metformin about 10 days, my normal lows are about 95-100, which will rebound up to 125 or so if I do not eat something with at least some carbs for more than 4 hrs or so. Met lets me process carbs much better as my bg comes down to 100 or so in 90 minutes after eating. Before met, I would rebound into the 140's or higher, and hit 190s if stressed. It is helping, but have not gotten my lows down where I want yet. Diet is 30 carbs/meal and 15/snack. If I go lower, I seem to rebound more quickly. If I go much higher, I stay higher because the carbs take longer to process. I'm trying to walk a tightrope.

One thing I didn't realize until your messages was that at least some peripheral neuropathy might be reversible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts