The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i woke up with my blood sugar VERY high this morning....i dont know why...i took insulin it went down i went and worked out...made a protein shake with an orange and PB in it took insulin to cover the orange....just took my blood sugar again and it is SKY HIGH! what should i do? my insulin isn't bad it was working this morning.:(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you really think it is a problem with your insulin, open up a new vial or pen.
I would say hard exercise, an orange, shake and sandwich would probably send me sky high.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. How high did it spike it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
over 400.....i feel like i'm getting a cold or something so i don't know if thats why.....the orange was the only thing i had had with carbs and i took insulin to cover it.....i diet and i have been watching my blood sugar very close and i haven't been having this problem lately...i workout hard and that always helps keep it down.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
over 400.....i feel like i'm getting a cold or something so i don't know if thats why.....the orange was the only thing i had had with carbs and i took insulin to cover it.....i diet and i have been watching my blood sugar very close and i haven't been having this problem lately...i workout hard and that always helps keep it down.
Big spike ... Was your workout just cardio or anabolic? If it involved a lot of weight training, that could certainly cause it.

The 'fight or flight' mechanism is engaged during strenuous exercise, releasing glucose into your bloodstream. But especially during primarily anabolic (muscle building) exercises, hGH (human growth hormone) is released into the bloodstream also, and fat is primarily burned by this process, leaving much of the glucose in your bloodstream. (Thank you, liver.)

It should lower by itself eventually (after a few hours), but it's always good to monitor it.

This is why for some people strenuous exercise seriously elevates blood glucose levels temporarily, and why many of those people ensure they have carbs in their system before hand to help offset the liver/glucose response.

If you workout often and haven't had this happen before, it could just be a one-off event... Those are fun.

Cold/flu bugs (any infection) can also elevate your BG.

Of course, we're all different. And, I might be crazy.:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i work out all the time and do Olympic powerlifting and cardio and about everything else you can think of....i have never had this happen so i really hope this is just a one time thing...thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Princess does crossfit training, Beefy . . . take a look: punkrockprincess
Very cool, good for you! Not many women can clean 135... So I'm impressed!

Hopefully the spike was a rare occurrence for you.

I wish I could still lift... but with degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and advanced osteoarthritis, it's not in the cards anymore.

My 14 yr old is now into weight training, he's getting ready to tryout for football next year, so I put my efforts into supporting him instead of me =)

GL with your crossfit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So i woke up with my blood sugar VERY high this morning....i dont know why...i took insulin it went down i went and worked out...made a protein shake with an orange and PB in it took insulin to cover the orange....just took my blood sugar again and it is SKY HIGH! what should i do? my insulin isn't bad it was working this morning.:(
Do you use Lantus at night?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

You just might be having a day where your glucose is high. If it is only a couple of readings, I would try to finish out your day and hope for a better day tomorrow. How high was your reading? I just went through a day where my fasting was 150 and I took a correction dose and it took about 4 hours to drop. At times it seems that we all have days when things about diabetes makes no sense. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
well that sucks. keep testing could have any of the above - bad insulin or adrenaline from working out or maybe you're getting sick.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i was hopeing it was just allergys but i woke up this morning and realized that is is for sure a cold ( my kids have colds so it makes sense) and my blood sugars are still 200's and up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts